lexluthermiester

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Ok heres an interesting issue I'm having. I can't access the "Run" command from the start menu. When I click on it windows bring up a message box saying "Windows can not create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?" Even if I click yes, the shortcut doesn't do anything. I can still access the run command by hitting the windows button + r. But it is annoying not having that function when needed... No virii or spyware involved. I believe it's a registry issue, but I've no idea were to correct the issue and I can't find any info on the net[which is a first]. Do any of you guys or gals have any ideas?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Go up into Safe Mode to see if run will work. If not, you've got dll corruption.

Either way, you most likely need to do a Repair install.

cd in - boot to it - Hit Enter at first repair screen - R at the next. Do not boot to the cd the next two restarts.

lexluthermiester

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Go up into Safe Mode to see if run will work. If not, you've got dll corruption.

Either way, you most likely need to do a Repair install.

cd in - boot to it - Hit Enter at first repair screen - R at the next. Do not boot to the cd the next two restarts.

Well gee wiz, Sparky, I hadn't thought of that... Ya, not doing the whole repair install, which would involve reinstalling certain apps, drivers and resetting all of my personalized configs, for just one minor annoyance. And, Sparky, it's not a corrupt dll or I'd be having other problems too. But thank you for the generic call center tech support answer...

The assistance I was looking for was more of a registry fix, since I'm not having any other issues. And unlike most people I've no problem digging into the registry. It's not as scary as people think.