p182/p180 fan setup suggestions

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
My p182 came w/ 3x120 mm fans (2 for output and 1 in the middle of the bottom PSU area). It has places for 2 additional 120 mm fans (for intakes). My PS has its own 120 mm fan and my CPU cooler has its own 120 mm fan so right now I'm at 5x120 mm fans! I don't want my case to have thousands of fans and am looking for suggestions from people who own a p180/182 or similar case.

-Do I really need to add 2 additional fans?
-Can I just move the one in the PSU bay to the front intake area where my HDs will set (the bottom bay) and call it good?

Here are the major components in my machine: q6600 with ultra-120 extreme HS and a 1600 RPM 120 mm fan, two 7200 RPM drives, p5b-deluxe, no high powered video board yet (waiting for the R600s), corsair hx620 PS.

Thanks for the advice.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
You can easily answer the question yourself

Set up your system, run it, measure the temps. You'll see if your airflow is adequate, and if you like the noise/silence level of the stock tricools

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Yeah, once I get all the parts I can do that... as of now I just have the case and PS :p I'd prefer to not buy another fan and am looking to tap into the owner base in these forums to learn for others.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
Each person has different noise and performance requirements.

The fans are easy to change even when the P180 is all assembled and all the modules are inside.

I have four good fans and a fan controller. My system is quiet but has an acceptable airflow, and I have plenty of room (temp allowance) for overclocking later.

4 good fans and one fan controller, however, will cost you something that you might prefer to invest in another component. You might find that the stock tri-cool are fine for your needs.

Others will work to convince you that "their" solution is the best. I advise you to first run your rig stock, see what you like and don't like, and then do some improvements.

G

Hi, I was just about to create a similiar thread so I'll just post here instead. Forgive me if I'm hijacking the thread!

I am looking at purchasing the P182 for my upcoming build. Do you guys happen to know if the built in fan controller (Hi, Medium and Low) would take the place of an aftermarket fan controller? I am looking at using the 3 120mm fans the case comes with and probably adding a fourth. I was initially thinking about purchasing the Sunbeam Chromatic Windmill – 5.25” http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-chormatic-windmill-black.html to use as my controller.

Do you guys think that with the P182 case having the built in adjustment that it would be a waste to purchase the controller? Also, are you able to control 4+ fans with the P182 or only 3? Thanks for any help you can offer!

G

But are you able to hook more than 3 fans up to the 'high. medium, low' settings?

Also, is there any benefit at all to installing a fan controller over the built-in speed control features of the case?

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
We won't understand your first question... mpilch said that each stock P180 Tricool fan has a switch for "low, med, high".

Regarding your 2nd question, there would not be a significant benefit to plug those stock tricool fans on a fan controller. the three settings can cover the whole range adequately

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I just got my P182 and my Ultra 120 Extreme will arrive Saturday (I swear if you get it before me I will hurt you, j/k :wink: ). The Ultra Extreme 120 is the only thing missing from my build.

In agreement with mplich, you shouldn't need the extra two fans. You shouldn't need to move the fan in the lower bay either (which incidentally is lower power than the other 2). The air flow will be fine with the lower fan on low (or medium if you really want hdd temps to be that low). I will actually be posting a rather huge thread on my P182 build because it involves some really nice custom work and there are several people who want to see the final product (some because of the custom duct, some because of the IHSless proc, some because of the Ultra 120 Extreme).

To sum up my rambling: No you don't need the other two fans in all likelihood.

G

Thanks for your patience, you guys. I got it now! But just one more question: Can any 120mm fan's be connected to the switch on the case? Or do they have to specifically be Antec's Tri-Cool fans?

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Thanks for your patience, you guys. I got it now! But just one more question: Can any 120mm fan's be connected to the switch on the case? Or do they have to specifically be Antec's Tri-Cool fans?

The fans come with the switch already wired in-line with the fans, you can't connect any other fan to the switch nor can you disconnect the Tri-cool fan from the switch without cutting the wires.

djbrad007

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Hi,

in my P180B, I connected 4 fans to a zalman controller.

One in the botton between psu and my raid 1, one in front of upper hd case, and two at cpu (rear and upward).

The fans are at medium speed at the switch, and are dead quiet at low speed via the fan controller.

Brad

fastin

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Can I plug all the fans back to back into each other and then just plug one power cord into the power supply?

First time that I have had this many fans.