SP2 install

I have a friend who just re-installed XP. I need to advise him
regarding updates. I have a CD with downloaded SP2 as of
last September. Question is, should he simply install that
SP2, followed by "Windows Update", or should we download
a more modern SP2 and use that......or what? Thanks......
--
William B. Lurie

Bill

Use the CD to load SP2 then go for updates.. there is not a 'more modern'
SP2..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

billurie@nospam.org wrote:
> I have a friend who just re-installed XP. I need to advise him
> regarding updates. I have a CD with downloaded SP2 as of
> last September. Question is, should he simply install that
> SP2, followed by "Windows Update", or should we download
> a more modern SP2 and use that......or what? Thanks......

SP2 hasn't changed. Install the one from your CD as that will be safer
(doesn't require connecting to the Internet from an unpatched machined).
Once installed the go to Windows Update and get any patches since SP2.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Tom Porterfield wrote:

> billurie@nospam.org wrote:
>
>>I have a friend who just re-installed XP. I need to advise him
>>regarding updates. I have a CD with downloaded SP2 as of
>>last September. Question is, should he simply install that
>>SP2, followed by "Windows Update", or should we download
>>a more modern SP2 and use that......or what? Thanks......
>

> SP2 hasn't changed. Install the one from your CD as that will be safer
> (doesn't require connecting to the Internet from an unpatched machined).
> Once installed the go to Windows Update and get any patches since SP2.

Thank you, Mike and Tom.
Seems straightforward.

--
William B. Lurie

billurie@nospam.org wrote:
> Tom Porterfield wrote:
>
>> billurie@nospam.org wrote:
>>
>>> I have a friend who just re-installed XP. I need to advise him
>>> regarding updates. I have a CD with downloaded SP2 as of
>>> last September. Question is, should he simply install that
>>> SP2, followed by "Windows Update", or should we download
>>> a more modern SP2 and use that......or what? Thanks......
>>

>> SP2 hasn't changed. Install the one from your CD as that will be
>> safer (doesn't require connecting to the Internet from an unpatched
>> machined). Once installed the go to Windows Update and get any patches
>> since SP2.
>

> Thank you, Mike and Tom.
> Seems straightforward.

But you'll undoubtedly find a way to complicate it.

Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:

> But you'll undoubtedly find a way to complicate it.

twit