Vista now or later? plz read

I have been running into problems with XP(too numerous to name) as of late and it seems that i am in need of a format and reinstall of windows and programs. I was on my way to buy a XP w/SP2 disc(cant find my old and lost box) when i remembered vista was out. NOw i know Vista has bugs and is slower for gaming(at the present) but i am planning on upgrading my comp later this year or next. should i just go ahead and get vista now or should i get an Xp disc and wait until the SP for vista comes out? might seem like an easy choice but i have no clue, i thank you for any and all help i can get on this problem.

PS. while i do play newer games (GRAW, MEdieval 2, etc) i also play some older games (Battle Realms, Starcraft, Diablo 2,etc) just wondering if anyone know if theyll work. again thank you for any and all help i can get on this matter -Aita
15 answers Last reply
More about vista later read
  1. I don't know what you are doing different than me, but I have no trouble with XP. I'm guessing if you are having problems with XP, then you should forget about Vista.

I'm kind of curious of what the problems are?

Also, you shouldn't post the same topic in multiple sections.

edit: I only say you should forget about Vista because I read a lot about people who haven't had problems with XP that have trouble with Vista. There are a lot of people out there that don't have problems with Vista though.
  2. Sorry about the double post, little new so plz forgive me. Its not that im having problems with windows itself its just that despite my best efforts it seems too many unwanted programs are on my comp that cannot be removed and i was planning on upgrading my comp anyway. IT was about due for a format anyways so i figured d get the input of those who know more on the subjectt han i do. thnx for the reply and any further suggestins would be great.
  3. My golden rule with moving to new operating systems is to avoid upgrades. Now that you are reformatting it might be the perfect opportunity to move to Vista before you put all sorts of programs and junk on your HDD that give you upgrade problems.
  4. I was sort of in the same situation. My XP installation "blew up" on me a couple weeks ago, causing me to need to re-install. I *hate* installing windows - it takes me days to get everything re-installed and configured and working the way I want it. My XP installation was several years old and had even made it through a motherboard/cpu upgraded totally unscathed about two years ago. Therefore, I didn't want to reinstall XP just to have to install Vista, say, six months from now for some DX10 game or something. Ended up biting the bullet and installing Vista. Vista definitely has some quirks here and there; I'm not so keen on a few (ok, 'several') of the user interface 'enhancements' but then it also has lots of things I like better than XP so it sort of balances out. No real bugs or anything yet. No regrets at all.
  5. What is your rig like Aita? I would suggest that you not upgrade unless it beats the minimum requirements by a decent margin.

Some people have suggested that gaming performance has went down a little. I imagine that will change as drivers improve though.

I've actually been considering purchasing Vista just out of curiosity.

I would heed Talan's advice and buy a full version. Most of the problems you hear about are with upgrades.

Hey Nonymous, have you heard of nLite? It's a software that allows you to add programs into your XP installation. You can basically add all your commonly used programs and drivers right into your install CD. They have a version for Vista, but they say that it's still young in development. You might look into that to cut down your reinstall time. Here is vLite. You may keep an eye on it and as it develops, give it a try.
  6. my current rig is as follows

Asus A8n SLI Deluxe
    AMD 64 3500+
    Nvid 7800GT
    Corsair Twinx 2GB
    120GB HDD
    Ultra X-finity 500W

am pretty sure thats enough to tackle basic requirements for Vista.

either the end of this year or beginning of next planning to upgrade to (or something better if available):
    Core 2 E6600
    320 GB Seagate
    8800 GTX or new ATI card
    2 gigs corsair(again will sell old mem)
    Ultra 550-800W PS havent decided on SLi for next gen nvid yet
    no mobo preference at this time but would get one to handle OC

though i do wish ATI would hurry up with that new card so i can be sure of its real perfomance capabilites andd upgrade to it or another Nvidia
  7. I would buy vista if I were you because you'll have to later if you want dx10 games...I assume you want dx10 games cuz you're looking at a 8800 GTX.

So for for me the best thing about vista is the way it looks. It's just sooo much better looking than xp. It's a very superficial reason but after years of staring at the same OS it's just time to move to something that looks different.

I think I know the answer but: If you are already running XP why do you need to go out and buy and XP CD? :wink:
  8. yea though i know my gaming will suffer a bit, ill just go ahead and buy Vista over spring break and get it over with.

oh and as for why i would need an xp disc i was going to reformat and reinstall however i have lost the box and my old CDRW drive tore it (And itself) to bits.
  9. You can use Everest to see your WinXP license key. Regarding the CD, you can get another from MS.

Either way, you may want to go Vista. The problem is, the nVidia drivers are pretty screwed right now. There is a lot of work to be done with that. Still, an upgrade would be the best choice. Check if all your hardware has Vista drivers and go for it!

Whatever you do, don't lose your WinXP license. Even if you go Vista, try to recover it. You never know when you may need it.
    Or give it to me. (??????)

Good luck!
  10. Simple run down on how operating systems work.

Company makes OS.
    Its up to OTHER companies - hardware, software companies, to make their stuff work correctly on the OS.

Vista was just released. Programs will not work correctly. People inaccurately blame Microsoft for this. Anyone who has ever attended a business class conference knows that M$ has nothing to do with these problems. Its the coding of the software people rushing to get their product out the door that causes this.. but they don't care because mainsteam people blame M$ for everything anyhow.

So, here's the deal and how I see it.

Let the people who want to buy Vista go out, buy it, figure out all the problems. Wait 6 months, see what happens. 6 months out is getting fairly safe for the big switch over.. yet if you're using heavy apps, 1 year is the best time frame.

Let someone else deal with all the bugs unless you truly like spending half your day figuring out why you click the the button while holding down control and have 3 select applications open in a certain order doing a certain thing, causes a crash.

Vista was released in a Beta testing for users.. Beta A.. now its in Beta B.. everyone has access. Let the problems come out, then upgrade.

BUT

Regardless, if you buy that CD today or 6 months or a year from now, you have the same starting platform. They will give you updates for it. Even if buy today, you'll get the updates that everyone else will have.

Its a matter of wanting to deal with unsolved problems, applications not working and a lot of a time troubleshooting and searching websites for updates.

Your call. Me? I have Vista running here and there.. but we're not switching our company over to it for a while. XP does what needs to be done.. let the hype about Vista die down.. eventually you will switch to it. Why rush it though.
  11. Excellent Advice !!! :wink:
  12. I'm with the dancing chicken on this one. =P
  13. Of course you get vista! Are we not gearheads? Do we not want the latest and greatest of everything? I love XP. It was my first OS, and it has served me well, but it's 5 years old, and there is something new out there that can be had for a reasonable price.

In fact I outgrew my first PC, a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop a year ago. Its 32mb unreplaceable graphics chip restricted me to a very few games. But I was not going to buy a new pc until I could get: A. Vista, and B. a DX10 GPU.

Now that both of these are available, I am not going to sit back and "wait until all those impulsive early adopters work out the bugs for me" Like I hear some sanctimonious posters saying. I get a chance to be an early adopter! I only wish I had the contacts and (at the time) a second PC to try an alpha or beta version. I dont doubt that there would be some confusion, setbacks, frustration etc. And I heard a lot of criticism from the early testers. But you know what I didnt hear. . . I wish Id never tried it.

I dont know about you guys, but I'm here to learn.
  14. "that can be had for a reasonable price."

Opinions differ I guess :P

For me, selling an OS with bare minumum functionality at the same price as your last OS on one end of the spectrum and an OS with all sorts of fancy gizmos but 4 times the price of your last OS on the other doesn't say fair business practice, it says textbook monopoly.

Technical issues aside, for the standpoint of money I don't think this is an OS to upgrade to. It's not a matter of having the money, it's a matter of the value of the product. I got a free upgrade to Premium w/my new PC. If it weren't for that, I would wait for prices to drop. But seeing as how MS has been able to keep that from happening in recent years, I would probably just have not upgraded altogether.
  15. Quote:
    I have been running into problems with XP(too numerous to name) as of late and it seems that i am in need of a format and reinstall of windows and programs. I was on my way to buy a XP w/SP2 disc(cant find my old and lost box) when i remembered vista was out. NOw i know Vista has bugs and is slower for gaming(at the present) but i am planning on upgrading my comp later this year or next. should i just go ahead and get vista now or should i get an Xp disc and wait until the SP for vista comes out? might seem like an easy choice but i have no clue, i thank you for any and all help i can get on this problem.

PS. while i do play newer games (GRAW, MEdieval 2, etc) i also play some older games (Battle Realms, Starcraft, Diablo 2,etc) just wondering if anyone know if theyll work. again thank you for any and all help i can get on this matter -Aita
    Vista uses more resources than any previous operating system and I think that title includes all operating systems ever made. Vista gives lower frame rates in most or all games. XP compresses video faster... Also relating to video there is a slight codec issue if you use xvid or divx or 3IVX, etc.

I prayed to the god of Thermodynamics and he told me, "BOY get that thing running 60 something services out of that poor computer before it breaks. Call a doctor and tell him you were considering spending $400.00 for Vista and ask him to lock your butt up and throw away the key for thinking such foolish things!

:idea: :idea: Well common sense says to let sleeping dogs lie!
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Vista Windows XP Product