Have I selected the wrong memory for a Striker Extreme?

puki

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
I had a system custom built - the vendor basically gave me choices of components.

The mobo is a Striker Extreme, with E6600 CPU and Asus 8800GTX.

As I wanted the system to eventually be a SLI system I went for the only SLI approved RAM they offered me - 2GB OCZ 2N1066SR 2GK RAM - 1066 MHz: 2GB OCZ 2N1066SR 2GK RAM - 1066 MHz

I picked it purely as it was SLI certified and seemed decent RAM as well.

Apparantly, there are horror stories regarding the Striker Extreme and RAM. Stories of RAM frying itself 3-4 weeks down the line.

The RAM I have selected is not listed in the Qualified Vendors List for the Striker Extreme and also the Striker Extreme seems only to support up to DDR2 800 memory.

The vendor has now built my system and despatched it.

So, is it bad news for me to have 2 x 1GB sticks of DDR2 PC2-8500 / 1066MHz RAM installed into a mobo that supports
Dual-channel DDR2 800/667/533 - ie not 1066MHz?

Any advice? The vendor obviously has the system working fine - I'm just worried if I will have memory problems in the future.

Mondoman

Splendid
You'll be fine. You can certainly overclock your MB to run the RAM at its rated speed, or you can run the RAM slower than its rated speed.

As I wanted the system to eventually be a SLI system I went for the only SLI approved RAM they offered me ...
For future reference, the "SLI" in SLI RAM has nothing to do with the "SLI" in graphics cards -- you don't need SLI RAM to run a pair of graphics cards in SLI mode. SLI in RAM is another brand name for EPP; both are just a standard for including extra RAM speed setting info in the SPD of the DIMM.