Program Icons on Start Menu

April 27, 2005 11:46:18 AM

Until recently, when installing new programs, the start menu registered the
icon associated with the actual program. Now, for some reason, I have the
generic file folder icon for each new program. I can't seem to find where to
reset this so that the icons show the appropriate image for the new program.
thanks.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:05:01 PM

"Clybella" <Clybella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Until recently, when installing new programs, the start menu registered the
>icon associated with the actual program. Now, for some reason, I have the
>generic file folder icon for each new program. I can't seem to find where to
>reset this so that the icons show the appropriate image for the new program.
>thanks.

Try resetting the icon cache. Delete the file C:\DOCUMENTS AND
SETTINGS\{username}\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\ICONCACHE.DB and
restart Windows.

--
(tm)
Anonymous

Thank you for your response. I have looked for, and done a search for this
file, as well as a search for just the "iconcache.db" file and show no
results. I'm not sure how to find it to delete it. Or is that my problem?
It has somehow been lost or corrupted?

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "Clybella" <Clybella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Until recently, when installing new programs, the start menu registered the
> >icon associated with the actual program. Now, for some reason, I have the
> >generic file folder icon for each new program. I can't seem to find where to
> >reset this so that the icons show the appropriate image for the new program.
> >thanks.
>
> Try resetting the icon cache. Delete the file C:\DOCUMENTS AND
> SETTINGS\{username}\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\ICONCACHE.DB and
> restart Windows.
>
> --
> (tm)

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:39:20 PM

"Clybella" <Clybella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you for your response. I have looked for, and done a search for this
>file, as well as a search for just the "iconcache.db" file and show no
>results. I'm not sure how to find it to delete it. Or is that my problem?
>It has somehow been lost or corrupted?

The file is hidden. Make sure that the Explorer shows hidden files and
folders (Tools > Folder Options > View).

--
(tm)
!