tomwaddle

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I'll start this off by saying that yes, I'm a fan of AMD. However, I'm not to a point where I would never buy Intel (especially when I bought an HP notebook that has an Intel chip). So, let's not get into a stupid AMD/Intel war. And no, Apple laptops are not an option either.

I'm looking for a notebook for my sister. She is your average user and won't game and will barely rip CDs, DVDs, etc. I have already told her not to buy one with less than 2 gig or one that is a single CPU.

My HP has the Core 2 Duo processor but the one I'm recommending for her is the Dual Core T2060. Is the main difference between the Dual-Core lineup and the Core 2 Duo the fact that one is 32bit and the other is 64 bit? I see the cache on the 2060 is only 1mb...

I just want to recommend a good laptop that won't be slowed down in a year. If Dual Core is good for the next 4 years, great. If I hear enough Intel experts saying, "GO CORE 2 DUO YOU IDIOT'' then I will go that way. Thanks for the help.

tomwaddle

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
AMD is always an option. For some reason, my initial search at Worst Buy's website - most of the laptops with 2 gig are intel based (laptops from $700 - 1300)

AMD can not compare in any way when it comes to laptop processors. Period. And whats more interesting, most companies sell both Turion X2's and Core 2 Duos at the same price. You buy a Turion, you'll regret it.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
I helped a friend buy a laptop a few months ago. From what I remember, most benchmarks showed the Core Duos performed better than the respective Turion X2s. The Core 2 Duos perform about 10% faster than a Core Duo equivalent (Mhz). However they also use 10-15% more battery power. Also, Ram is getting so cheap that you could just get a laptop and upgrade the Ram to 2gig yourself. You could sell the 2x256 or 2x512 sticks it came with on ebay.

A good place to check for laptop deals is Techbargains.com. I kept checking there for a couple weeks and found a really great deal on a Gateway laptop at Best Buy. It is a 17"screen, 100gig Sata hd, T2300E, 1gig DDR2 533 for $599 shipped. It's a great computer.

Celeron M beats the Sempron M
Pentium M beats the Turion
Core Duo beats the Turion X2
Core 2 Duo beats the Turion X2

Across the board, when it comes to laptops, Intel is frankly the only choice. And half the time, the Turion's weaker chipsets use more battery than a similarly equipped Intel.

TRENDING THREADS