Changing processors, what do I need to do

navek19

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Hello All,

I was looking for advise on what I should do to acheive the best results when I switch out CPUs. I have had an PD 805 OC'd to 3.7GHz on air for about six months until the C2D prices dropped. Well I got my e6600 today and was wondering what is the best way to remove my Zalman 9500 w/Artic Silver 5 (I am not wanting to rip the 805 out of it's socket) and clean it for the new processor. I plan on doing at least a moderate OC of the e6600 but not looking to push it to it's limit.

Additionally, the PD 805 is going into a new build for my mom. What cleaning should I do to it for best results? (no OC on this one)

Thanks,
Navek

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hello All,

I was looking for advise on what I should do to acheive the best results when I switch out CPUs. I have had an PD 805 OC'd to 3.7GHz on air for about six months until the C2D prices dropped. Well I got my e6600 today and was wondering what is the best way to remove my Zalman 9500 w/Artic Silver 5 (I am not wanting to rip the 805 out of it's socket) and clean it for the new processor. I plan on doing at least a moderate OC of the e6600 but not looking to push it to it's limit.

Additionally, the PD 805 is going into a new build for my mom. What cleaning should I do to it for best results? (no OC on this one)

Thanks,
Navek
Give the heatsink a few small twists from side to side, to break any "seal" that may have formed. Then slowly remove the heatsink. Use 70-100% pure Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the heatspreader, and heatsink base. Make sure that you use something fairly lint-free, then check that there is no lint, etc. left when your ready to reinstall. GL :)

rubbing alcohol and LOTs of cutips. Take off the heatsink and twist a few times like stated above. The warming up isnt a bad idea either, actually a good one. The 775 sockets are easy they just have a lever to unhook and it takes the pressure off the chip and you just pull it out by the edges. Use something lint free like a paper towel and whip off most of the TIM and then use alcohol and a cutip to clean very well. Do the same on the Heatsink. You can't rip it out of the socket because its all mechanical really no effort needed. I actually recommend putting the thermal past on the chip before you put it in the socket because you wont make a mess on the motherboard which has happened. Just put a thin layer on the cpu with a razor or other very flat and straight edge. Sometimes I like to put a VERY paperthin layer on the cpu and then just put a small small dot in the center so when you place heatsink down it squished it out and doesnt leave any air bubbles or pockets. You don't need much at all remember. Then just fasten down the cooler and you are done. Do you have thermal paste of somekind?

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
last time i did it i used arctic clean 2 part and then artic silver greese for the new stuff. Very important to remove all the old greese and stuff.

dietzjack

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Do like installing CPU/Heatsink but in reverse:
1) Remove HS (The alcohol/Qtip tip, twist motion tips are good)
2) Lift load lever, and then load plate
3) Remove old CPU. Replace plastic contacts cover if you still have it, otherwise use plastic wrap.
4) Install new CPU.
5) Lower load plate, then load lever.
6) Clean your old HS. Again, alcohol and Qtips. Your new CPU is clean, no need to pre-clean it. Let it dry for a few seconds.
7) Apply thermal grease to CPU heat spreader and install new HS.
8) Connect fan PWR and fan controller (Optional) and smoke test (Turn on PC).
9) (Optional) Clean old CPU. You can do this later if you want.

navek19

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks to all with the great suggestions, I plan on doing the switch this weekend.

A few follow up questions...
Does the % of the alcohol make a big difference? I have something in the 70 range but have read a couple times that people say "only use 95% or higher".

What do I gain by buying some higher alcohol content stuff? Less elbow work at getting it off? A cleaner chip and HSF? Or just a warm fuzzy feeling that I am keeping the economy going :D ?

Also, is waiting long enough for the alcohol to dry long enough or should I let it sit longer?

Thanks again,
Navek

dietzjack

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
Does the % of the alcohol make a big difference?
Nope. I used 90% but 70% will work. 70% evaporates slower so you should let it dry slightly longer after cleaning.
What do I gain by buying some higher alcohol content stuff? Less elbow work at getting it off? A cleaner chip and HSF? Or just a warm fuzzy feeling that I am keeping the economy going :D ?
That warm fuzzy feeling. :D
Also, is waiting long enough for the alcohol to dry long enough or should I let it sit longer?
15 seconds is long enough. You let it dry b/c you want grease in the microscopic holes in the heat spreader/heat sink contact block and not liquid. The holes are microscopic, it doesn't take long for the liquid to evaporate out of them at room temperature.