Default user desktop folder location

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcwareham

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
I'm setting up the backup for my computer. When I tell it to back up the desktop for my user profile, however, there's nothing to backup, even though my desktop shows items on it. I found those items in the "public" desktop folder. When I check in HKEYCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsExplorerUsershellfolders, however, the Desktop data shows %USERPROFILE%\Desktop, which is the path to my user desktop folder. I could just backup the public desktop folder, but I really don't want my desktop to be public.

jcwareham

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Yup, mibix19, that's where it was. Odd thing is that, when I posted this, there was nothing in that folder, while the two files on my desktop showed up only in the public desktop folder. Since then, I have added files to the desktop. Now, the two files are still in the public desktop folder, and only those two files, while now those files are also in my previously empty <your name> folder, along with all the other files I've since added. I am, overall, happy to have things right, though I can't conceive why.

Status
Not open for further replies.