Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Drivers
  • Benchmark
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 26, 2007 4:17:18 PM

i dont think ati is THAT stupid. either it s the drivers or they know something we don t know. Like a nice boost in dx10 games. I think the 1 gig of ram might come handy too later. I m not sure we are that far from needing the whole gig. I also suspect Neither nvidia or ati designed the cards to make them perform in dx9 games as they are already almost too powerful for them. That s why we see fucked up results like that.I might be wrong but it s the feling i got.

i think the fight didnt even begin yet
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 4:46:17 PM

Heres something to chew on, why is the top bin xtx, only clocked 5 mhz higher? In there first test of the xt, they clocked to what 845? Stable? Stable enuff to run 3Dmark. Something isnt right here
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 4:46:34 PM

Quote:

Nvidia has the G80 out for months and is raking in record amounts of money while AMD keeps shoveling dollars into the fire, dancing around it singing "delay, delay, delay".
I´m not sure they had a choice when to release it. Maybe they should´ve waited until Nvidia released the 8900 - nobody would´ve believed the 8900 GTX would have twice the frames of a 2900xtx in oblivion... :lol: 

Here's something for you to consider.

The workstation market sells about 50-100% more units at about 100-200% more revenue per quarter, than the entire high end market ($250+) combined.

Noting that, what do you think of the fact that the supposedly $400 HD2900XT beat the QFX5500?

Right now as an OEM workstation part, the R600 looks like a Monster, with the plain unoptomised XT destrroying the $2,000+ Quadro FX5500 by about 50% (27+% in OGL 3DSmax which Ati never did well) .

No FireGL has had that kind of success even with multiplle driver updates and moving/consolidating driver teams from Germany.

And think that was the 512MB XT against the 1GB FX5500 not the 1GB and faster bandwidth XTX with non-workstation drivers.

So the question is what if the $400 XT beats the $4,000 1.5 GB version of the QuadroFX5600 (which it looks like it will by http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html" target="_blank">nV's own tests[/url), it sounds like ATi is about to take the biggest lunch available out of all this with a single card.

I think for people like Cleeve, Crashman and the few others that do some serious 3D tinkering, they're going to buy the HD2900 because it does everything, even if it may game a little less.

Of course I'm making lemonade out of lemons, but considering you're talking about a GF8900 card, I think I have license for a little Hyperbole. :twisted:

OMG, nV's Quadros are DOOMED !!!

Personally I'll just wait for the official benchies though, eh!?! :wink:
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 4:52:40 PM

Good points, and Im looking forward to ridding myself of a few drivers and opening a pci slot as well. Anyone wanna buy a slightly used audigy2zs?
April 26, 2007 4:59:00 PM

Nope... I have an X-Fi but I will sell you a 7900GTX :wink:

Back on topic:

We still have about a month to go and I will be waiting on a real benchmark suite and review before I make my final decision, but this 7900GTX has to go. DX 10 is just too pretty to pass up lol, well that and I can get Vista for $5.

Dual boot ftw (seeing as I can't get BF2142 to run on Vista...)

I think we should all just take a step back and breathe. There are alot of flaws with this benchmark which have been pointed out, so instead of getting all up in arms and PO'ed let's wait for a legit review. :D 
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 5:02:59 PM

Totally agree
April 26, 2007 5:16:08 PM

sitback and wait?? that was the rd600 bench marks. the thing blows. just buy a 8800gtx pal.
April 26, 2007 5:28:41 PM

just sit back and wait buddy. take a beer if necessary.

Did i miss something? The end of the world is coming? 8O
April 26, 2007 5:31:10 PM

Quote:
just sit back and wait buddy.

Did i miss something? The end of the world is coming? 8O

how long are people gonna seriously wait. everyone wanted to wait for the 2900 an extra wut 6 months now its been pushed back? for wut? for wut they thought would be 10fps more in games. now i laugh at all of u. you guys thought u were clever waiting. when all this time u could of been gaming on ur 8800's... instead u day dreamed about a video card that sucks!
April 26, 2007 5:34:28 PM

1. is there something right now my 7600 gt cant do for me now?
2. The 8800 series could just suck in dx10 games
3. The 8900 series could just destroy the 8800
4. etc

you know :wink:
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 5:36:33 PM

Those were qualified and quantified benches? I agree with the ape, why so much whoop ass with the workstation ability? Ill wait. Besides, like I said, I want SOUND on my new card, plus a ppu for my DX10 as well. This design has it all. I posted earlier about the Ultra coming out, all I got in resonse for all these things I want, was that the Ultra has H.264 ability, but it wouldnt even do what nVids mid cards will do, which is to alleviate the cpu. No 88 can . Im hoping the 2900 can do that as well. Sorry pal Ill wait
April 26, 2007 5:41:30 PM

yeah nobody(except perhaps mentally disabled people) is looking at the 2900 specifically.

simply a card that s woth the upgrade and that s going to play the next demanding games for times to come
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 5:45:05 PM

Im no fanboy. I spends my money and takes my chances. But I want what I want,regardless. I still am doing fine with my 1900.
April 26, 2007 5:48:01 PM

Quote:
sitback and wait?? that was the rd600 bench marks. the thing blows. just buy a 8800gtx pal.

Seriously you must be smoking some heavy duty weed if you actually believe this benchmark.... :p 
April 26, 2007 5:48:11 PM

i agree my reply was actually aimed at the guy above.
April 26, 2007 5:50:20 PM

KnowsItAll knows nothing. The guy has no idea what he's talking about.
April 26, 2007 5:52:18 PM

hahah i know that s why i was gonna battlefield a litte. see ya around guys
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 5:56:37 PM

And I agree with you as well. I was more pointing out that being a fanboy can make someone make a bad choice
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 6:35:21 PM

Quote:

you know you might have more credability as a 'know it all" if you didn't always FUK up the name, it's the R600, not the RD600.

So if he buys a GF8800 instead of an RD600 he'll be even worse off unless you've figured a way to plug the CPU and RAM and peripherals directly into the GF8800. :roll:
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 6:43:55 PM

Theres a lil discussion going on in the cpu section about the 2900 if you didnt know. I ended up having to quote you, as you eloquently speak gpu's much better than I heheh. Anyways, its all about the impending doom of amd/ati. I hope Im right and those benches are skewed
April 26, 2007 6:52:06 PM

Quote:
Theres a lil discussion going on in the cpu section about the 2900 if you didnt know. I ended up having to quote you, as you eloquently speak gpu's much better than I heheh. Anyways, its all about the impending doom of amd/ati. I hope Im right and those benches are skewed

the benches arent skewed. stopin being a fanboy. the thing just sucks man. everyone is in denial. it sucks!! y do u think it was pushed back so much.. maybe cuz the r600 blows!! u waited for nothing sucks to be you. yes now everyone flame me
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 6:58:30 PM

No flames, but dont put words in my mouth. I told you I wasnt a fanboy, Im not waiting, and I dont want Vista til sp1.Also, I was thinking about waiting for the next gen of DX10,pcie2 and either a barcy or Pen. BUT, if a card comes along that kicks arse, has onboard sound, fully HD compatible, I MIGHT go with that. IF that turns out to be the 2900, then Ill get it, as, like Ive said, the Ultra doesnt meet these requirements
April 26, 2007 7:02:32 PM

Quote:
No flames, but dont put words in my mouth. I told you I wasnt a fanboy, Im not waiting, and I dont want Vista til sp1.Also, I was thinking about waiting for the next gen of DX10,pcie2 and either a barcy or Pen. BUT, if a card comes along that kicks arse, has onboard sound, fully HD compatible, I MIGHT go with that. IF that turns out to be the 2900, then Ill get it, as, like Ive said, the Ultra doesnt meet these requirements

ahh ok
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 7:11:33 PM

Now I see why some of us have a gazillion posts, just going thru a arch change ......
April 26, 2007 7:16:00 PM

Those already bashing the r600,I'd like to sell a car to(easy money).This card just got released,opinions are running off the first tell tale signs of a product that hasn't been entirely analized.I wanna see the full spectrum before making ANY kind of remark let alone a decision.
April 26, 2007 7:18:14 PM

Quote:
1. is there something right now my 7600 gt cant do for me now?
2. The 8800 series could just suck in dx10 games
3. The 8900 series could just destroy the 8800
4. etc

you know :wink:
Your 7600GT can't do the laundry, take out the trash, or play Oblivion at the maximum in game quality with HDR and antialiasing.
April 26, 2007 7:23:52 PM

it seems that the failings of amd have finally spread to ati, wouild have been better left alone...

and as for the 100+fps in oblivion, probably the indoor scenes
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 7:25:50 PM

Quote:
Theres a lil discussion going on in the cpu section about the 2900 if you didnt know.

Interesting, I may saunter over there to check it out, but the AMD/intel fanbois there are even more illogical than the ATi-AMD/nV ones here.

Seriously I strightened everyone out here long ago, Matrox > All others, and we moved on to the differences in the cards from the companies that suck, knowing they all suck. :twisted:
April 26, 2007 7:36:22 PM

Quote:
Theres a lil discussion going on in the cpu section about the 2900 if you didnt know.

Interesting, I may saunter over there to check it out, but the AMD/intel fanbois there are even more illogical than the ATi-AMD/nV ones here.

Seriously I strightened everyone out here long ago, Matrox > All others, and we moved on to the differences in the cards from the companies that suck, knowing they all suck. :twisted:

You and your matrox stuff... come on man. :tongue:

I've run into KnowsitAll before and he is wrong far more often than he is right... we just have to deal with it and keep the info on track.

Grape you are right... CPU Fanbois are much crazier than GPU fanbois, who knows why it is.

--General Reply

rant

I am just sick of all these freakin threads that have AMD/ATI in chapter 7 within 3 months. I am not saying they won't hit Chapter 11, but come on people there so many factors to consider and yall can't see the big picture. We've had many rumours about why the R600 has been delayed and I don't know what substance any of them have, if any substance at all. It could be anything, anything. I just can't see the big hooplah about it all seeing as there aren't even decent DX10 games out and the X1950XTX does quite well as is, given it isn't top dog but no one expects it to be. Just take a breather and let your heart rate come down and think through crap...

/rant
April 26, 2007 7:42:30 PM

Quote:
Actually you need to quote my whole statement to keep it in context, specifically this part.
If ATI's card should have shown better then it is time to lift some NDA's.

I'm reading these threads and I hear a whole lot of: drivers, bad test methodology, pre-production board etc.

I am saying that if this or any of this has caused the result to slant out of ATI's favour then logically they should refute it. Hence the poker analogy. Are they folding or showing us a strong hand.

you know, im wondering the same
what if their "2900XTX" they got was one of these R600 OEMS who got leaked to the internet via EBAY, IE, DEMO R600's...

and thus thats why they werent affected by the NDA.. o_O

Quote:
Nope... I have an X-Fi but I will sell you a 7900GTX :wink:

Back on topic:

We still have about a month to go and I will be waiting on a real benchmark suite and review before I make my final decision, but this 7900GTX has to go. DX 10 is just too pretty to pass up lol, well that and I can get Vista for $5.

Dual boot ftw (seeing as I can't get BF2142 to run on Vista...)

I think we should all just take a step back and breathe. There are alot of flaws with this benchmark which have been pointed out, so instead of getting all up in arms and PO'ed let's wait for a legit review. :D 

may 2 isnt a "month after" o_O

Quote:

dont forget REAL dual HDMI compatible...
April 26, 2007 7:50:33 PM

While I am required to follow the NDA, the stuff up on Daily Tech today is almost worthless. Yes Anandtech was present in Tunisia (signing Non-disclosure agreements like the Inquirer), why they are posting this stuff is beyond me because their numbers are off. They must be only using the XP drivers and OS because the numbers in CF vs the GTX are very much different. So until I can officially comment on the architecture and the performance.. hold all of this as useless until the rest of the world writes about it.
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 26, 2007 7:56:56 PM

Agreed.
Dailytech's stuff seems worthless. Yesterday, in Oblivion a 2900XT was 47FPS, today 100+?!?! This is garbage. Oh well, no matter what I know it will be better than my 6800s and about equal to an 8800, so I plan to buy one anyway.
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 8:09:25 PM

Quote:
While I am required to follow the NDA, the stuff up on Daily Tech today is almost worthless. Yes Anandtech was present in Tunisia (signing Non-disclosure agreements like the Inquirer), why they are posting this stuff is beyond me because their numbers are off. They must be only using the XP drivers and OS because the numbers in CF vs the GTX are very much different. So until I can officially comment on the architecture and the performance.. hold all of this as useless until the rest of the world writes about it.
I know that DT is legally seperate from Annands, and since only annads signed the NDA...anyways, what a better way to get hits?
April 26, 2007 8:17:16 PM

I am hoping these benchies are off. Nvidia needs competition and so do we, as consumers.
April 26, 2007 8:17:35 PM

I really would love to comment on this stuff...

I understand that DT and Anand are seperate but that is so childish. Derek was there and his cards got to his place of business before he returned home from Tunisia. That long board they have ... Not what Derek should have gotten in his delivery. That is all I will say before I go too far.
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 8:25:12 PM

Shhh Anyone thats ever read benches, done benches or have experienced the battles between these two companies should see it was fragged from the git go. I wont ask, but I will comment. Ever just wanna stir it up? They had the means, and the motive? Boys will be boys heheh
April 26, 2007 8:28:04 PM

Quote:

I understand that DT and Anand are seperate but that is so childish. Derek was there and his cards got to his place of business before he returned home from Tunisia. That long board they have ... Not what Derek should have gotten in his delivery. That is all I will say before I go too far.

Thank you for commenting to the extent you can (darn NDA hehe). I am glad to hear the benchies are off. I too wish you could say more, but I understand the legal reasons for limiting your responses.

:D 
April 26, 2007 8:29:50 PM

Quote:
may 2 isnt a "month after" o_O

When I originally made that statement I was still under the impression that AMD intended to release the cards in the 2nd 1/2 of May, I hadn't yet read the tidbit from anandtech about the May 2nd release. :wink:
April 26, 2007 8:34:03 PM

I don't think HDMI out is such a great option for the 2900's. Sure it's nice, but there's very few HDMI monitors, and the things are WAY too big and hot for a HTPC, so what's the point? For DRM it's nice I guess, as a future-proofing thing, but beyond that it's a fairly worthless option.
April 26, 2007 8:37:42 PM

Just as an aside, I wonder what the power draw is going to be compared to the 8800GTX. I am already going to have to get a new PSU when I upgrade to an 8800GTX (or X2900XTX). That is another $200 down the drain along with the $500 for the video card (etailers premium withstanding)... that is just depressing.
April 26, 2007 8:37:47 PM

I still want an R600 anyway, since I'm hopeful that it's better at DX10, considering ATI's past accomplishments with adaptation to new software tech, the options that they have in their drivers, the higher AA levels (24x I read somewhere), and the extra features that card has, plus that I just like the way that ATI graphics images come out compared to the Nvidia cards I've owned.

Seriously though, I think that with the additional stream processors on the R600 compared to the Geforce 8800 versions, I'm assuming that they just don't know how to make DX9 drivers for a DX10 card quite as well as Nvidia, and DX9 games should be going away now that DX10 is out. It'll already play any of the games in DX9 at excellent speeds anyway, so I am unconcerned. If the 8800 turns out to be crap at DX10, it won't be much of a surprise to me, too.

Either way, this could still all change by the time we see the card come to retail. I'm just a suspicious of Dailytech as the rest of you.
April 26, 2007 8:47:27 PM

Quote:

This brings me back to my point. Several sites and enthusiast are looking for info. In this vacuum Dailytech's benches are filling the void.
If those benches are unfair and don't reflect the truth ATI should respond and try to win back some mindshare. They spend all this money flying press to some dark corner of the world and carefully plan a coordinated media blitz with product in the channel. I'm guessing that plan didn't include the only news out there being "ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX, Doomed from the Start". If these cards truely bring it I'm sure any site like this one would be glad to write about once released from their NDA.
April 26, 2007 8:48:29 PM

It is looking like AMD is going to be having a tough time for a while longer. 8800GTX here I come.
April 26, 2007 8:58:31 PM

Quote:
I think that part of the problems that the guys over at DailyTech are having with the XTX card, is that it's the older 80nm OEM version of the card. Remember that DAAMIT did a die shrink of all their new HD cards down to 65nm, and supposedly that's what the delay is all about.

The OEM version is not the final working product, and I seriously doubt that DAAMIT would even consider releasing the XTX card, if it's only 2% faster, and only in some games than the XT card.

http://www.dailytech.com/ATI+Radeon+HD+2900+XT+Performa...

Here's the Radeon HD 2900XT doing swell. If the real XTX would please step forward...

I'd say give it time...these pre-release benchmarks are often a bit premature. Driver maturity as well as finalized products will tell all. I'm sure it'll be a close one for the real HD 2900XTX and the 8800Ultra cards.

A die shrink would not/will not increase performance. The only hope for ATI fans is that the drivers suck. But considering how long ATI has had to work on them, it's unlikely that's the issue.

Plain and simple: the card sucks. Call it ATI's "FX 5900" of the cycle.
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2007 9:02:06 PM

Quote:

This brings me back to my point. Several sites and enthusiast are looking for info. In this vacuum Dailytech's benches are filling the void.
If those benches are unfair and don't reflect the truth ATI should respond and try to win back some mindshare. They spend all this money flying press to some dark corner of the world and carefully plan a coordinated media blitz with product in the channel. I'm guessing that plan didn't include the only news out there being "ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX, Doomed from the Start". If these cards truely bring it I'm sure any site like this one would be glad to write about once released from their NDA. Think of these two companies. One just held the crown for quite awhile, the other just regained it. We are all consumers first, fanboys second. You dont think anyone group that favors their favorite card isnt looking over thrir shoulder? Yes ATI could and may release something, but remember that we all want the best, and we are driven only by our bank accounts on how to get there. I say, lets all wait, its only one week away for it, and then we will see
April 26, 2007 9:05:19 PM

right on. i do hope the card ends up being better...
April 26, 2007 9:27:28 PM

Regardless of whether these numbers are accurate or not, one things for sure...

AMD/ATYT marketing is NOT happy about this leak, especially considering the traffic DT gets. If the numbers are that far-off from reality, I wouldn't be surprised if they start allowing pre-NDA date reviews to go up :lol: 

If these results are right, then damn: I was really looking forward to building a new ATI-based rig that would be faster than my current one.
April 26, 2007 10:49:32 PM

Quote:
Call it ATI's "FX 5900" of the cycle.

8O Ouch! That's just plain mean, man. Unfortunately it may be true.

I own an 8800gtx, but I honestly hope that these benches are way off. AMD badly needs a good product right now, and competition is good for everyone.
April 26, 2007 11:01:43 PM

Thank you. The FUD was starting to get really thick in here.
      • 2 / 4
      • Newest
!