Need help with LCD Tv refresh rate question

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 28, 2004 3:26:14 PM

I'm not electronically minded and don't know where to go for help
where I can get an answer I can understand, but I'm trying here.

I do figure skating photography and on tv mostly watch figure skating
shows, competitions and tapes of previous shows, from which I make
screen captures and photographs. My old tv died last week after
19years and not being able to carry anything heavy, I bought an LCD tv
- I wanted hd ready but the prices were prohibitive so I settled for a
20 inch Sharp ed-tv (Aquos).

Today I started to watch and record figure skating shows and
competitions and was appalled. When the skaters were moving fast - as
they usually are - they continually blurred. I got a headache watching
- and there's no way I can watch and record and make screen captures
from this kind of display.

I did some research on the Net and discovered that the issue was
refresh time or response time. My manual and the Sharp web site and
Circuit City were no help, so I called Sharp and was told that the
refresh rate on my LCD Aquos tv was 16ms.... Some site on the Internet
suggested Samsung for refresh rates under 12ms...but the cost of
Samsung edtv or hd-ready is prohibitive for me - I live on a limited
income and my max is about $800 which is what I paid. Plus I'm not
sure that 12ms is going to be much better than 16ms. (What are
ordinary tvs anyway? My old Sharp tv bought in early 1995 was fine
until the static got unbearable and I junked it two days ago.

I am so frustrated as I'm missing an important day of skating on tv
and it looks like I'm going to have to return this lcd tv and get a
replacement immediately. Can anyone suggest what choice I should make?
Though I want ed or hdready but I may just have to go with a regular
tv unless I get a much larger tv (my tv stand is 25 inches wide and
I'm told that hdready is 27 inches or more, but that may be the
diagonal measurements rather than vertical measurements).

Should I give up on LCD is refresh time of 16ms is MUCH too slow for
my figure skating and action sports viewing?

Any suggestions appreciated. I am partially disabled and on a limited
income and was trying to avoid a large heavy tv as I have no help with
moving it and I was hoping to go with ed or hdready so I'm prepared
for the future and would have a tv to last at least 10 years (my
previous tv, a Sharp, lasted me 19 years, and I had it on 10 hours a
day with no problems).

Am I best off foregoing LCD because of the refresh rate issue?
THANKS in advance for any help?
Tracy
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:13:53 AM

Hi there,

Well in your case it seems like you need to settle for a small, HD-ready,
CRT (tube) TV set. LCD displays won't satisfy you - even those with response
times of 12ms exhibit the issue you noticed, although it's not so obvious -
but definitely a concern. Plasma's or projection TV's on the other hand (be
them regular CRT projectors, DLP or LCD projectors), don't have this issue
but they are way too big and expensive for you. Which basically leaves you
with the only other alternative I just mentioned.

Here's an example of a TV-set that would fit within your criteria of cost,
and size:
http://tinyurl.com/3fbfj

Since this is a regular tube TV, weight is more than that for an equivalent
LCD display, but this set will allow you to watch fast action broadcasts
without any issue. Also, tube technology as you know is very mature and
reliable these days, so you can expect a much longer life than from a
projection TV. Last but not least, the TV set I mentioned has a built-in
ATSC tuner, very useful for receiving free, off-the-air HiDef (OTA-HD)
broadcasts, if you happen to live in an area close enough to transmitters.
In most urban centres you can get free OTA-HD with a regular VHF/UHF antenna
(of course there are specialized antenna's as well, amplifiers etc. but that
is a different topic).

Good luck with your purchase anyway!
Virgil

"TracyM" <tracymar55@netscape.net> wrote in message
> I'm not electronically minded and don't know where to go for help
> where I can get an answer I can understand, but I'm trying here.
>
> I do figure skating photography and on tv mostly watch figure skating
> shows, competitions and tapes of previous shows, from which I make
> screen captures and photographs. My old tv died last week after
> 19years and not being able to carry anything heavy, I bought an LCD tv
> - I wanted hd ready but the prices were prohibitive so I settled for a
> 20 inch Sharp ed-tv (Aquos).
>
> Today I started to watch and record figure skating shows and
> competitions and was appalled. When the skaters were moving fast - as
> they usually are - they continually blurred. I got a headache watching
> - and there's no way I can watch and record and make screen captures
> from this kind of display.
>
> I did some research on the Net and discovered that the issue was
> refresh time or response time. My manual and the Sharp web site and
> Circuit City were no help, so I called Sharp and was told that the
> refresh rate on my LCD Aquos tv was 16ms.... Some site on the Internet
> suggested Samsung for refresh rates under 12ms...but the cost of
> Samsung edtv or hd-ready is prohibitive for me - I live on a limited
> income and my max is about $800 which is what I paid. Plus I'm not
> sure that 12ms is going to be much better than 16ms. (What are
> ordinary tvs anyway? My old Sharp tv bought in early 1995 was fine
> until the static got unbearable and I junked it two days ago.
>
> I am so frustrated as I'm missing an important day of skating on tv
> and it looks like I'm going to have to return this lcd tv and get a
> replacement immediately. Can anyone suggest what choice I should make?
> Though I want ed or hdready but I may just have to go with a regular
> tv unless I get a much larger tv (my tv stand is 25 inches wide and
> I'm told that hdready is 27 inches or more, but that may be the
> diagonal measurements rather than vertical measurements).
>
> Should I give up on LCD is refresh time of 16ms is MUCH too slow for
> my figure skating and action sports viewing?
>
> Any suggestions appreciated. I am partially disabled and on a limited
> income and was trying to avoid a large heavy tv as I have no help with
> moving it and I was hoping to go with ed or hdready so I'm prepared
> for the future and would have a tv to last at least 10 years (my
> previous tv, a Sharp, lasted me 19 years, and I had it on 10 hours a
> day with no problems).
>
> Am I best off foregoing LCD because of the refresh rate issue?
> THANKS in advance for any help?
> Tracy
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 12:34:15 AM

tracymar55@netscape.net (TracyM) wrote in message news:<1d4c5e13.0411281226.467ae253@posting.google.com>...

> Am I best off foregoing LCD because of the refresh rate issue?

A lot of LCD TVs have this problem, but I think some of the newer and
more expensive models are overcoming it. Some of these, however,
actually cost more than plasma TVs. It sounds like you're not able to
buy anything that extravagant. So a tube TV like the guy suggested is
probably the only affordable option. That's what I got... and it
works good, but I had to build a massive wooden stand to put it on,
because it weighs ninety pounds.
http://paulkienitz.net/img/tvstand.jpg

The one I got is the same Samsung model the other guy gave a url for
-- quality-wise, it's hardly the best HDTV out there, but it's
definitely better than most of the small liquid crystal models, and
about the only decent widescreen TV that's affordable.

Philips sells a 26" widescreen CRT monitor which is NOT HD for only
like $400, if you have a separate tuner. And for NTSC broadcasts, you
can use your VCR as a tuner -- I did that myself before I bought this
set. Let me find the url and see if it's EDTV or what... OK, here
it is:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=107762490801...

I think this will show 480p DVD output, making it an EDTV? But I
haven't been able to confirm that. It might just be pure NTSC. They
have what looks like an HDTV version of the same tube for like $300
more.
!