Anyone in Philadelphia with comcast getting free HD?

Anyone in the Philly region getting basic cable?

I do, but with my Plasma with built in tuner, I am getting several digital
channels and HD channels, I didn't get before.

Specifically: Channel 100-1 is FOX HD, 114-1 WPVI (ABC-HD), 114-2 ABCnews
Now, 114-3 WPVI weather, 114-4 WCAU (NBC- HD)

I can't find CBS HD, but perhaps it exists?

I also find myself getting about 10 new digital channels that I didn't get
on my old tv. Specifically I get
103-1 TWC, 103-4 Biography, 103-5 History Int'l, 103-6 DIY, 103-10 Fine
Living, 119-5 Natl Geo, 119-6 ESPN news, 119-9 Cartoon Disney, 119-10 Soap

I also get the digital music channels now (87-1 to 87-50)

1) So why are the digital channels on these "sub channels" which I thought
were reserved for HD?
2) Anyone else getting these channels?
3) Any way to get other channels I haven't mentioned? Specifically CBS HD
would be nice.

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about anyone philadelphia comcast free

    Verizon User wrote:

    > Anyone in the Philly region getting basic cable?
    >
    > I do, but with my Plasma with built in tuner, I am getting several digital
    > channels and HD channels, I didn't get before.
    >
    > Specifically: Channel 100-1 is FOX HD, 114-1 WPVI (ABC-HD), 114-2 ABCnews
    > Now, 114-3 WPVI weather, 114-4 WCAU (NBC- HD)
    >
    > I can't find CBS HD, but perhaps it exists?
    >
    > I also find myself getting about 10 new digital channels that I didn't get
    > on my old tv. Specifically I get
    > 103-1 TWC, 103-4 Biography, 103-5 History Int'l, 103-6 DIY, 103-10 Fine
    > Living, 119-5 Natl Geo, 119-6 ESPN news, 119-9 Cartoon Disney, 119-10 Soap
    >
    > I also get the digital music channels now (87-1 to 87-50)
    >
    > 1) So why are the digital channels on these "sub channels" which I thought
    > were reserved for HD?

    I'm going thru the same QAM Cable Channel 'study' with my brand new
    Samsung T-451 Digital Tuner in GBay, WI....
    A Digital Tuner using QAM encoding picks up all Digital unencripted
    Cable Channels that may be either SD or HD.... A SD Cable
    channel may take up to 10 times less bandwidth than a HD Channel.

    > 2) Anyone else getting these channels?

    I am as of last night... I can find only 2/3 of what I expected.
    After searching 3 modes with the T-451... I went back to the
    SA-3250-HD Cablebox ...

    > 3) Any way to get other channels I haven't mentioned? Specifically CBS HD
    > would be nice.

    I found 1 HD local station, CBS-HD... and 9 SD Cable stations
    unencripted....

    My QAM channels active run from Chan 81 thru Chan 115 with many,
    many blank sub channels on Cable... QAM is still a mystery..

    > Thanks!

    Using a Qam tuner should allow you to pick up certain HD channels which
    are in the clear (unscrambled) those are usually the major networks and
    anything else you pick up is a bonus!!
    Don't call your cable company and mention this, I have a feeling if the
    usage of Qam tuners increases a lot, they will re-shuffle the channels
    to get rid of the extra's.

    --
    rcbridge

    rcbridge <rcbridge.1ghfk8@satelliteguys.us> wrote:
    > Using a Qam tuner should allow you to pick up certain HD channels which
    > are in the clear (unscrambled) those are usually the major networks and
    > anything else you pick up is a bonus!!
    > Don't call your cable company and mention this, I have a feeling if the
    > usage of Qam tuners increases a lot, they will re-shuffle the channels
    > to get rid of the extra's.

    They have to allow the local channels to remain ITC,
    whether SD or HD. Other channels can be scrambled.
    Chip

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

HDTV TV HD Home Theatre