ATI HD2400 and HD2600 FUD

uri

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
That sucks! I was waiting for the 2600 or at least the price drops that they will cause on the nvidia front...

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
AMD didn't give away the AGP market. Nvidia still haven't announced and DirectX 10 AGP parts but ATI will be ready with its new AGP parts.

That brings a tear to my eye, really. I just can´t stop laughing. Seeing the words ATI, AMD and "ready" in the same sentence is just beautiful. :lol:

dagoth_ur

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
If the rumors about ATI's problems are true, then they might as well delay it until June.
Stanley and Mor... eh... AMD has deep pockets. I´m sure they can afford to wait a month or two more. 8)

Maybe they're waiting for christmas...you know..everyone will be going to buy the NEW graphics card : )

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
17" 19x12 displays are still very expensive. I work with them.
We have a luggable with a 17" 19x12 on that by LG-Phillips but it's not cheap :p But it's so crisp.. and shiny...
So, if you really want a 19x12 capable screen you're going to need to pay more than that... at least if they get them from the same place I do...

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
HD 2400 and HD 2600 are delay to June now? damn, what are they thinking.
It seems like all I read about HD 2x00 are it's being delaying again, again, and then again. sigh...

17" 19x12 displays are still very expensive. I work with them.
We have a luggable with a 17" 19x12 on that by LG-Phillips but it's not cheap :p But it's so crisp.. and shiny...
So, if you really want a 19x12 capable screen you're going to need to pay more than that... at least if they get them from the same place I do...

I understand what you're saying but how can I buy a Gateway with 19x12 17" monitor for $1600 then?

The premium is only $150 on Dell and Gateway. The problem is HP and Gateway on pre-build north of the border and sell at BestBuy / FS... and forget DELL. :roll:

Anywhoo, get a GFGO8600 or HD2600 in that HP or the NX860 Gateway with a 19x12 monitor, and I'm there. aND $2,500-3,000 is fine with me for that. Sounds good for something that does what I otherwise need two PCs to do, and I could see myself keeping that for 2-3 years easily.

scubageek

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Strange, I found this link that states differently..

ATI says May

Take it for what it is worth. Till first week of May all this is hear-say and nothing is concrete till AMDTI comes out and just tells us what is happening.

I am just sitting back and laughing at the intel fanboi's screaming AMD is going to die Hooray, dumb as that is, YES you are doing it, and listening to the agonizing groans of the AMD fanatics as they feel another delay is coming.

Pfftt.. Enjoy what is out there today, tomorrow may never come.

The thing to remember is that Paul's link is to Fuad saying the HD2400 & 2600 are delayed, and the last one mentions the XTX being delayed (which is likely the R650).

Still have to wait and see what's what, since Fuad has contradicted himself a few times in this cycle.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
The VR link shows the ATI mid-range still set for mid May.

VR-Zone isn't exactly a well of facts either, but I take them with more credibility than INQ or Fuad's new FUDFactory. You're being nice when you say "a few times". :lol: I have a hard time believing anything that spews from Fuad's site. He should have stuck to the Inquirer.

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Well that is very true, unlike dell, hp, et al we don't have close partnerships with the manufacturer. We still have to go through a 3rd party, nor do we quite have the sales of either of them. I presume that much of the cost however is hidden by some other overpriced item. Last I heard our screens were up over $900 for some reason. Why? Who knows maybe there's something extra in them, but also this was a year ago when the part was spec'd. I looked at laptop replacement screens and they retail for about $600 from a part replacement store so clearly I'm an ass who hasn't looked at the BOM for the build lately :p The price difference, btw, from the 17" 14x9 was about $180. I can tell you that this is one of the screens with the high-gloss finish and I swear it's like you are looking through a window. It's an amazing lcd.

Actually I used to e-mail Fuad a fair amount back in the days when he worked with the InQ to 'correct' some stuff or question the logic behind statements, or point out contradicting info. That he's open to logical and factual and 'reasoned' calm input shows he tries to let people know what he knows, no spin, but maybe sometime he has bad sources.

I would never invest my money on either his site or the InQ's news, but they sure do give us alot of source material for talking points. :mrgreen:

Well that is very true, unlike dell, hp, et al we don't have close partnerships with the manufacturer. We still have to go through a 3rd party, nor do we quite have the sales of either of them. I presume that much of the cost however is hidden by some other overpriced item. Last I heard our screens were up over $900 for some reason. Why? Who knows maybe there's something extra in them, but also this was a year ago when the part was spec'd.

Yeah, the individual cost of small volume (ie lots of under 10,000) is ridiculous, I went for a warranty repair of a cracked LCD on one of my old thinkpads in 2000, and the cost of that ($1,800+ on the invoice which of course ended up as N/C) was more than one on their new similar spec'ed laptops in stores. 8O When I asked, they said, yeah it's amazing, the LCd is so expensive as an individual part it's like buying a printer cartridge, might as well just upgrade the whole compputer. Thank god it was under warranty, but I totaly understand your situation though, especially looking back to se price changes.

The price difference, btw, from the 17" 14x9 was about $180. I can tell you that this is one of the screens with the high-gloss finish and I swear it's like you are looking through a window. It's an amazing lcd.

Yeah unfortunately HP and Gateway don't offer the 'UltraBright' technology on the 19x12 panels, only the 14x9 or 16x10. :x
Personally my dream laptop screen would be a 17" 19x12 Ultrabright LEDlit panel with 109+% NTSC colour gamut. But right now only the 11-13" panels are LEDlit from what I've seen, hopefully all these new SantaRosa + AMD/nV _600 series laptops will have some of the new features that have been around but not implemented. I just don't want to lose my PCMCIA slot only to get a single Express slot, I want both like so I can keep my Audigy card (I don't need an XFi Expres card really, the 2ZS is enough).

Nah, I wish. :mrgreen:

I'm stuck with whatever the OEMs like HP decide to throw in there.

I'm just hoping I see something 'expandable and configuraeable' by the time I need to buy (would prefer something before my next biz trip in June, love to impress the Stewardesses with my mad tetris skillz :twisted: ).

For work I'm stuck with pedestrian Dell, but I like to use my personal laptop for travel and log into my work one on the road through VPN.

pauldh

Illustrious
Hey, I'm a pretty handy wood-worker. I could make you a Paul's special mobile gamer. It would probably be as big as a large suitcase and weigh 60+ LB's, but it would be a gaming beast I tell ya, with it's 24" LCD and X2900XT. I'll even bundle a 100ft. extention cord with it so you can be fairly mobile with it when you don't feel like carrying the 150LB backpack battery setup. :roll:

EDIT: Since it's not a legal size carry-on. I'm working on a Ruby Look-a-like companion case too. Down side is you have to buy it a seat, but at least it won't talk and interupt your gaming.