silentassassin

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
If choosing between those two, I'd go for the top one you listed (with the diamond in the center). It appears as if it will obstruct airflow less. I guess its hard to be sure unless you have them in hand to compare though. There have been discussions in magazines, the most recent Maximum PC comes to mind, about making your own filters out of materials you might have laying around anyway.

Could always try that.

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
How about something of this type?
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2587/ffa-04/80mm_Black_Anodized_Fan_Filter_CA-880ABK.html?tl=g36c223s546
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2593/ffa-10/80mm_Black_Steel_Mesh_Filter_Grill_CASMF-80BK.html?tl=g36c223s546
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2627/ffi-09/FrozenCPU_FilterRight_80mm_Black_Aluminum_Fan_Filter.html?tl=g36c223s549

They are solid mesh so they dont need plastic to support them. The only thing to watch is if your fans dont screw to the case but have a plastic snap-on housing they may not fit.

silentassassin

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
So far, ive received the filter from maplin electronics, but haven't tested it since my 120mm fan hasn't arrived.

The filter itself has alot more fibres than the average filter, but this should be no problem since they are a lot finer & should allow for better airflow, but collect more dust because of the larger surface area. The material also smels as if its been sterilised??

With the filter, also comes a white grill thing (look at screenshots here http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37597&doy=20m4&C=...amp;U=s)that isn't really needed since it provides no real purpose except to obstruct airflow.

The plastic frame allows you to screw the whole lot to a fan, but once attatched, can seperate so you can hoover it once it becomes clogged with dust. Also, the plastic grills don't cover too much area, so this should allow better airflow.

I'll post test results once my new fan arrives.

Darren

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
Old T-shirts, cut into appropriate-sized squares, make good fan filters. Just stretch the material out over a frame that fits over the intake side of the fan - and make sure the material is stretched enough that you can see through it.

El-cheapo solution, but strangely effective.

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
For a 120mm fan, cut a 140x140mm piece of fabric. Take some stiff wire - like a coathanger - and make a frame with 4 little loops for the screws. Use the extra 10mm flaps on the sides around the frame to secure the fabric square to the frame - stitching, glueing, whatever works.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
How about something of this type?
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2587/ffa-04/80mm_Black_Anodized_Fan_Filter_CA-880ABK.html?tl=g36c223s546
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2593/ffa-10/80mm_Black_Steel_Mesh_Filter_Grill_CASMF-80BK.html?tl=g36c223s546
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2627/ffi-09/FrozenCPU_FilterRight_80mm_Black_Aluminum_Fan_Filter.html?tl=g36c223s549

They are solid mesh so they dont need plastic to support them. The only thing to watch is if your fans dont screw to the case but have a plastic snap-on housing they may not fit.

i've personally been using these for about two years and they're FABULOUS. i have one machine that has a total of 12 fans, and these are on the four case intake fans and they're great! about once a month i take a big paintbrush and brush the collected dust off of them, and sometimes it's about the thickness of dryer lint. it's GREAT knowing that crap isn't in the cpu!

Valis

Old T-shirts, cut into appropriate-sized squares, make good fan filters.

You might wanna add that the T-shirt should be washed first - otherwise it could give the computer a bad case of B.O. :lol:

Personally I've found the biggest cause of lint and dust is cheap-o carpeting. Just walking around on it breaks the fibers and lofts them into the air. My brother has his PC in a room with the fake hardwood flooring and although his house is usually much dirtier than mine :), his PC dust bunny problem is much less than mine.

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
Either washed or soused with deodorant.

Any fabric really should work nicely. Net curtain probably quite well.

Carpets don't like PCs. They try to kill them.

I'm actually convinced that women and carpets are in league against PCs - how many women do you know insist that the box has to stand on the (carpeted) floor, because it doesn't look nice on the desk?

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I don't recommend puting filters in your case as they soon become clogged with dust.Much quicker than people realize,especially if they smoke.Now they are ok the first time,but after that they start to clog up faster as more dust clings to them.Ya I know that's why you clean them,But everytime you clean them a small amount of residue is left on the filter and after a few times it becomes clogged in no time.So unless you plan on replacing the filters every other time,then there is no point.Just buy a good old fashion can of compressed air,open your case(after unplugging everything),blow the dust from the heatsinks and fans and give the tower a general cleaning with the air,and you should be fine.If you get a lot of dust,blow it out once a month.If not,then every other month.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 TOLEDO
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
4X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD/SAMSUNG 250GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120
3DMARK05 13,471

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
I don't recommend puting filters in your case as they soon become clogged with dust.Much quicker than people realize,especially if they smoke.Now they are ok the first time,but after that they start to clog up faster as more dust clings to them.Ya I know that's why you clean them,But everytime you clean them a small amount of residue is left on the filter and after a few times it becomes clogged in no time.So unless you plan on replacing the filters every other time,then there is no point.Just buy a good old fashion can of compressed air,open your case(after unplugging everything),blow the dust from the heatsinks and fans and give the tower a general cleaning with the air,and you should be fine.If you get a lot of dust,blow it out once a month.If not,then every other month.Goodluck.

Dahak

please reference my other comment in this thread. you definately DO want air filters because otherwise your case can quickly become clogged with dust and brushing off the metal mesh filters is far easier than taking everything apart, but not the kind you ahve to replace. i commented to the filters on frozencpu, metal mesh that you just have to brush off, or blow them off.

the metal mesh filteres you can also remove, just the filter part, and wash either in the sink or even in the dishwasher to get them back to brand new performance.

Valis

I'm actually convinced that women and carpets are in league against PCs - how many women do you know insist that the box has to stand on the (carpeted) floor, because it doesn't look nice on the desk?

Luckily my wife doesn't object to my NZXT Nemesis case sitting on the desk, but then we use a spare bedroom as our office so it doesn't really hafta look too good :). Just shut the door and the visitors never see it, or all my messy papers lying around.

If I had a fancy house with a "library", cherry or rosewood executive desk and built-in cabinetry, then I'd probably hafta hide the PC on the floor, but I'd also have hardwood flooring so it wouldn't be too bad.

Worse-case problems with wives is when they wanna buy a fancy rolltop desk to hide everything, including the monitor. Sorta limits you to a 21" monitor max, plus the box has to go in a usually unventilated cubbyhole in the desk - that limits your PC to pretty low power - no quadcore or 8800GTX :)...

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
I've noticed a few posts arguing against using filters because they clog up with dust.

Er, isn't that the whole point? And how is spending 15 minutes cleaning and airblasting a set of filters worse/more effort than spending upwards of an hour disassembling, cleaning and reassembling a PC?

I like the interior of my flat. Glass/aluminium surfaces, leathery couches/chairs, spartan and clean.

Means I have to spend two hours a weekend dusting, but hey...

wallis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
i just wrap my whole body in cling-film...that way all the skin flakes that create dust are caught at source. i just remove and re wrap myself every 2 weeks and throw away the old cling film containg all the flakes of skin. It allows me to have my fans with no filters and my temps are down by 10c :D

wallis

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
it would yeald better results if you had an air tight office that you pumped out all the air so the office was a vacuum, then go in there wearing a space suit. :D

oh but then you would need liquid cooling and dust wouldnt be a problem anyway :D

Get a couple of air purifiers and you won't have to dust as often.

I had an electronic air cleaner installed in my last house. Didn't notice a huge dust reduction, but then I found out the main problem - apparently some workmen were drinking beer during the construction of the house, and when the boss came up to check, they shoved their bottles into the dryer exhaust vent. When I tried blowing out the vent during my spring cleanup, tons of lint came blowing back at me - had to disassemble the entire vent from the basement and clean it out. After that, the electronic cleaner started working better :)

I wouldn't recommend one of those "negative ion fountain" type air cleanres - they will stick the dust and dirt to any surface - your walls, case outside and all the components inside...