Roadmap for HDTV broadcast conversion?

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 29, 2004 1:13:23 AM

Is there a roadmap anywhere of when *all* stations plan to begin
broadcasting in 16:9 HDTV?

My TV is usually tuned to CNN and the History Channel when I am arround,
otherwise it usually spends most of the day tuned to Nickelodeon and the
Disney Channel. When are these channels going to broadcast in HDTV? If
these channel are only going digital SD, why would I want to buy an HDTV?

Paul A. Jacobi
p dot jacobi at comcast dot net
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 1:13:24 AM

"Paul A. Jacobi" wrote:

> Is there a roadmap anywhere of when *all* stations plan to begin
> broadcasting in 16:9 HDTV?

Note there is only a Requirement that all TV stations must broadcast

in SD 4:3 Digital to 'keep' their station licenses....

The old 2006 date to terminate all analog TV station (not Cable)

transmissions is a 'Political Football' at this time.....

This Spring those using Digital Transmission must use the

correct PSIP text to identify Channel, Station , &

Programming. Also Full Power digital Tower transmissions

must be made in reference to the Stations Construction Plan.

The Networks generally are ahead of Local Station Digital or

HDTV upgrades since Stations need HD Programming to

make use of expensive HD equipment....

In general, local HD Studio Production may last to be done,

local Dolby Digital next to last, and HD pass thru is common

after very expensive Tower and Transmitters are built,

usually first....

New HD Programming and shooting is required to be competitive

against the 'Digital' competition... Cable TV and OTA

local/Network TV run slightly different paths to get interesting

' not really voluntary' HD Programs on the air....

There has been a 6 year Sink Hole of money poured into

the Digital and HDTV transition to get the infrastructure

in place without much current monetary reward... HD is not
cheap.

"Paul A. Jacobi" <p.jacobi@nononospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Is there a roadmap anywhere of when *all* stations plan to begin
> broadcasting in 16:9 HDTV?
>
> My TV is usually tuned to CNN and the History Channel when I am arround,
> otherwise it usually spends most of the day tuned to Nickelodeon and the
> Disney Channel. When are these channels going to broadcast in HDTV? If
> these channel are only going digital SD, why would I want to buy an HDTV?

I don't think you mean over the air broadcast, because the DTV transition
there is now behind us.

The cable guys are another story.

Why HD?
let's see, there are a number of channels in HD, 9-12 on most cable systems
no more pesky letterboxes
a big screen that is actually nice to watch

and DVD's look incredible
until of course you see the same movie in HD, then you realize that HD is as
far above DVD's as DVD's are above VHS.
November 30, 2004 6:22:29 AM

When will CNN and Nickelodeon, etc., be broadcast in HDTV? Never?

Paul A. Jacobi
p dot jacobi at comcast dot net
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 11:59:22 PM

> When will CNN and Nickelodeon, etc., be broadcast in HDTV? Never?

Who knows. No plans announced that I know of so far, and I wouldn't expect
any particularly soon. Most of the home theatre buffs on here (and other
HDTV forums) don't seem to care. (Whereas most other people seem not to care
particularly about HD or widescreen, which the home theatre buffs find
incomprehensible.)
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:18:26 AM

"Paul A. Jacobi" <p.jacobi@nononospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
: When will CNN and Nickelodeon, etc., be broadcast in HDTV? Never?

One thing I've learned in the past 52 years is Never say Never!

After the current equipment wears out (depreciated out) and new
equipment is purchased, which it will be HD capable of course, then
you can bet your bottom dollar that CNN will be in HD. It's
inevitable. It might take a few years, but it will happen.

Russ

:
:
!