My computer, Intel PC w/2.4 p4, 1024 gb RAM, XP Pro OS, is starting to act
very erratic and unreliable. I want to do a complete HD backup and then a
format and reinstallation of XP. But I don't want to backup alot of
unnecessary stuff that will make for a congested backup. Can someone please
tell me what items I should get rid of before doing a full backup? I
appreciate your advice.

JCW

JCW wrote:
> My computer, Intel PC w/2.4 p4, 1024 gb RAM, XP Pro OS, is starting to act
> very erratic and unreliable. I want to do a complete HD backup and then a
> format and reinstallation of XP. But I don't want to backup alot of
> unnecessary stuff that will make for a congested backup. Can someone please
> tell me what items I should get rid of before doing a full backup? I
> appreciate your advice.
>
> JCW

All you really need to backup is the data YOU created. E-mails,
spreadsheets, databases, word docs, contacts etc. Make sure you have all
of your installs CD's for any programs you want to reinstall.
Make sure you have all the settings you need to connect back to
your ISP.

Remember to activate a firewall and antivirus BEFORE you connect
to the Internet.

gls858

Thanks,
I am going to try the Nero Ultra 6 files and settings backup, and I will
heed your advice and hope that a reinstall will cure the problems that I am
having.
Peace
JCW
"gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> JCW wrote:
> > My computer, Intel PC w/2.4 p4, 1024 gb RAM, XP Pro OS, is starting to
act
> > very erratic and unreliable. I want to do a complete HD backup and then
> > format and reinstallation of XP. But I don't want to backup alot of
> > unnecessary stuff that will make for a congested backup. Can someone
please
> > tell me what items I should get rid of before doing a full backup? I
> > appreciate your advice.
> >
> > JCW
> >

> All you really need to backup is the data YOU created. E-mails,
> spreadsheets, databases, word docs, contacts etc. Make sure you have all
> of your installs CD's for any programs you want to reinstall.
> Make sure you have all the settings you need to connect back to
> your ISP.
>
> Remember to activate a firewall and antivirus BEFORE you connect
> to the Internet.
>
> gls858

You are starting with the most drastic possible solution. Usually,
formatting is unnecessary. You might want to consider trying the following
which may help diagnose what is wrong:

First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
virus scan.

Also, download, install and run Ad Aware:
www.lavasoftusa.com

If your system is clear of viruses and any malware, open Control Panel, open
Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
contained within may give a clue as to the
source of the problem.

Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
download using that as this is a rather large download.

Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. No not use
Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
by Microsoft.

--

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

JCW wrote:
> Thanks,
> I am going to try the Nero Ultra 6 files and settings backup, and I will
> heed your advice and hope that a reinstall will cure the problems that I am
> having.
> Peace
> JCW
> "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>JCW wrote:
>>
>>>My computer, Intel PC w/2.4 p4, 1024 gb RAM, XP Pro OS, is starting to
>
> act
>
>>>very erratic and unreliable. I want to do a complete HD backup and then

>>>format and reinstallation of XP. But I don't want to backup alot of
>>>unnecessary stuff that will make for a congested backup. Can someone
>
> please
>
>>>tell me what items I should get rid of before doing a full backup? I
>>>appreciate your advice.
>>>
>>>JCW
>>>

>>All you really need to backup is the data YOU created. E-mails,
>>spreadsheets, databases, word docs, contacts etc. Make sure you have all
>>of your installs CD's for any programs you want to reinstall.
>>Make sure you have all the settings you need to connect back to
>>your ISP.
>>
>>Remember to activate a firewall and antivirus BEFORE you connect
>>to the Internet.
>>
>>gls858

Usually a full install isn't necessary. What problems are you having?
The people here are quite adept at fixing problems. Have you ran anti
spyware and antivirus programs?

gls858

JCW

You would be better advised to work on the problems rather than start over
now, have the same things happen again, and then have to repeat the
process.. maintaining a computer should be done regularly, and will only
take a few minutes per week..

OK.. start by turning OFF the System Restore function.. click on the Start
button.. right click on 'My Computer', then select Properties.. now select
the 'System Restore' tab..

Check the box 'Turn off System Restore' or 'Turn off System Restore on all
drives'.. now click on 'Apply'.. you will be asked if it is ok to lose all
restore points.. answer 'YES' to this.. now click on 'OK'

Spyware/Adware/Scumware has become a major player in compromising
computers.. they introduce viruses, trojans and worms.. they attempt to send
out information about you, and they also slow your computer down..

The worst of it is that you probably downloaded the spyware, albeit
inadvertently..

Some basic steps to removing Spyware/Adware..

First step is to run a one shot virus remover.. I have found that McAfee
Stinger works for people.. download and run it..

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Another alternative is ..

You will also need to download Spyware removal software.. Spybot and Adaware
are available at these websites.. both are free.. download and run them..
don't forget to check for updates after you have started them..

.... and this link is for the latest Microsoft helping..

Spybot has the ability to immunize a system, but there is better for this
function, so download and run Spyware Blaster too.. again, check for
updates..

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

Time to turn ON System Restore.. this is obviously like turning it OFF, so
just reverse the procedure..

If you have had your Internet browser hijacked, that is to say, you get
redirected through a search engine NOT of your choosing, you will need
different tools..

HijackThis is a popular and effective tool.. download it from here..

http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html

CWShredder will eliminate CoolWebSearch and variants.. there is a free
download here..

CWShredder.. http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

About:blank.. http://www.securiteam.com/securityreviews/5RP0L0UD5U.html

http://www.pchell.com/support/aboutblank.shtml

For other tools in the fight against spyware, visit this website and
bookmark it..

http://www.pchell.com

You must also run a firewall and anti-virus program.. here are some links
for you..

http://www.mcafee.com
http://www.symantec.com
http://www.zonealarm.com
http://www.kerio.com
http://www.gate.com
http://www.grisoft.com

Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way that
helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..

Good luck..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> My computer, Intel PC w/2.4 p4, 1024 gb RAM, XP Pro OS, is starting to act
> very erratic and unreliable. I want to do a complete HD backup and then a
> format and reinstallation of XP. But I don't want to backup alot of
> unnecessary stuff that will make for a congested backup. Can someone
> please
> tell me what items I should get rid of before doing a full backup? I
> appreciate your advice.
>
> JCW

Man this is why I use the NG's. I would really like to avoid the format
option. I run Norton Antivirus 9.0 and keep the definitions updated
faithfully and run scans at least once a week and it runs in the background.
I also have installed and run MS AntiSpyware, AdAware, and SpyBot S and D
and I also keep those updated as well. My system is malware and spyware free
as well as clean of viruses. I don't know what is happening to cause the
symptoms but I will try your suggestions before resorting to formatting.
First, I got a BSOD (didn't record the code) did a repair. Then at boot it
stalled at NVRAM (needless to say by process of elimination I narrowed it
down to a USB cable that caused that situation) Then I had 2 more BSOD and
subsequent repairs using XP Pro disk. Having said all that I will start to
do the things offered and I will report back.

Thanks to All,

JCW

JCW wrote:
> [...]
>>http://www.grisoft.com
>>

>>Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way
>
> that
>
>>helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..
>>
>>Good luck..
>>
>>--
>>Mike Hall
>>MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>>"JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>My computer, Intel PC w/2.4 p4, 1024 gb RAM, XP Pro OS, is starting to
>
> act
>
>>>very erratic and unreliable. I want to do a complete HD backup and then

>>>format and reinstallation of XP. But I don't want to backup alot of
>>>unnecessary stuff that will make for a congested backup. Can someone
>>>please
>>>tell me what items I should get rid of before doing a full backup? I

Make sure if you get a BSOD to write it down and post it here.

gls858

JCW

When I was a fulltime working hardware service engineer for a major global
company, every time that a machine 'went down', it was stripped to basics..
keyboard, mouse, screen.. everything else was removed.. then we built the
system back up item by item, noting any unusual behaviour..

There was an instance where the OS flash screen was appearing but severely
corrupted.. we did the obvious, reloading the OS from scratch using a backup
tape, and then CD media.. still had the problem, so not a software problem
as first thought.. bearing in mind that the machine appeared to work
perfectly other than for the corruption at boot up, we stripped it down to
bare essentials.. gradually adding stuff back, we discovered that it was a
'rogue' network card.. the card worked well enough but something had
happened and the end result was flash screen corruption.. we replaced the
card and all was well again.. took hours though.. the machine type was a pig
to take apart.. nothing like the average pc case and construction..

You may want to try this route out for yourself..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm