XP Corrupted..

My computer, Intel PC w/2.4 p4, 1024 gb RAM, XP Pro OS, is starting to act
very erratic and unreliable. I want to do a complete HD backup and then a
format and reinstallation of XP. But I don't want to backup alot of
unnecessary stuff that will make for a congested backup. Can someone please
tell me what items I should get rid of before doing a full backup? I
appreciate your advice.

JCW
8 answers Last reply
More about corrupted

    JCW wrote:
    > My computer, Intel PC w/2.4 p4, 1024 gb RAM, XP Pro OS, is starting to act
    > very erratic and unreliable. I want to do a complete HD backup and then a
    > format and reinstallation of XP. But I don't want to backup alot of
    > unnecessary stuff that will make for a congested backup. Can someone please
    > tell me what items I should get rid of before doing a full backup? I
    > appreciate your advice.
    >
    > JCW

    All you really need to backup is the data YOU created. E-mails,
    spreadsheets, databases, word docs, contacts etc. Make sure you have all
    of your installs CD's for any programs you want to reinstall.
    Make sure you have all the settings you need to connect back to
    your ISP.

    Remember to activate a firewall and antivirus BEFORE you connect
    to the Internet.

    gls858

    Thanks,
    I am going to try the Nero Ultra 6 files and settings backup, and I will
    heed your advice and hope that a reinstall will cure the problems that I am
    having.
    Peace
    JCW
    "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > JCW wrote:
    > > My computer, Intel PC w/2.4 p4, 1024 gb RAM, XP Pro OS, is starting to
    act
    > > very erratic and unreliable. I want to do a complete HD backup and then
    > > format and reinstallation of XP. But I don't want to backup alot of
    > > unnecessary stuff that will make for a congested backup. Can someone
    please
    > > tell me what items I should get rid of before doing a full backup? I
    > > appreciate your advice.
    > >
    > > JCW
    > >

    > All you really need to backup is the data YOU created. E-mails,
    > spreadsheets, databases, word docs, contacts etc. Make sure you have all
    > of your installs CD's for any programs you want to reinstall.
    > Make sure you have all the settings you need to connect back to
    > your ISP.
    >
    > Remember to activate a firewall and antivirus BEFORE you connect
    > to the Internet.
    >
    > gls858

    You are starting with the most drastic possible solution. Usually,
    formatting is unnecessary. You might want to consider trying the following
    which may help diagnose what is wrong:

    First, be sure your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    Also, download, install and run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com

    If your system is clear of viruses and any malware, open Control Panel, open
    Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. No not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft.

    --

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    JCW wrote:
    > Thanks,
    > I am going to try the Nero Ultra 6 files and settings backup, and I will
    > heed your advice and hope that a reinstall will cure the problems that I am
    > having.
    > Peace
    > JCW
    > "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>JCW wrote:
    >>
    >>>My computer, Intel PC w/2.4 p4, 1024 gb RAM, XP Pro OS, is starting to
    >
    > act
    >
    >>>very erratic and unreliable. I want to do a complete HD backup and then

    >>>format and reinstallation of XP. But I don't want to backup alot of
    >>>unnecessary stuff that will make for a congested backup. Can someone
    >
    > please
    >
    >>>tell me what items I should get rid of before doing a full backup? I
    >>>appreciate your advice.
    >>>
    >>>JCW
    >>>

    >>All you really need to backup is the data YOU created. E-mails,
    >>spreadsheets, databases, word docs, contacts etc. Make sure you have all
    >>of your installs CD's for any programs you want to reinstall.
    >>Make sure you have all the settings you need to connect back to
    >>your ISP.
    >>
    >>Remember to activate a firewall and antivirus BEFORE you connect
    >>to the Internet.
    >>
    >>gls858

    Usually a full install isn't necessary. What problems are you having?
    The people here are quite adept at fixing problems. Have you ran anti
    spyware and antivirus programs?

    gls858

    JCW

    You would be better advised to work on the problems rather than start over
    now, have the same things happen again, and then have to repeat the
    process.. maintaining a computer should be done regularly, and will only
    take a few minutes per week..

    OK.. start by turning OFF the System Restore function.. click on the Start
    button.. right click on 'My Computer', then select Properties.. now select
    the 'System Restore' tab..

    Check the box 'Turn off System Restore' or 'Turn off System Restore on all
    drives'.. now click on 'Apply'.. you will be asked if it is ok to lose all
    restore points.. answer 'YES' to this.. now click on 'OK'

    Spyware/Adware/Scumware has become a major player in compromising
    computers.. they introduce viruses, trojans and worms.. they attempt to send
    out information about you, and they also slow your computer down..

    The worst of it is that you probably downloaded the spyware, albeit
    inadvertently..

    Some basic steps to removing Spyware/Adware..

    First step is to run a one shot virus remover.. I have found that McAfee
    Stinger works for people.. download and run it..

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Another alternative is ..

    You will also need to download Spyware removal software.. Spybot and Adaware
    are available at these websites.. both are free.. download and run them..
    don't forget to check for updates after you have started them..

    .... and this link is for the latest Microsoft helping..

    Spybot has the ability to immunize a system, but there is better for this
    function, so download and run Spyware Blaster too.. again, check for
    updates..

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    Time to turn ON System Restore.. this is obviously like turning it OFF, so
    just reverse the procedure..

    If you have had your Internet browser hijacked, that is to say, you get
    redirected through a search engine NOT of your choosing, you will need
    different tools..

    HijackThis is a popular and effective tool.. download it from here..

    http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html

    CWShredder will eliminate CoolWebSearch and variants.. there is a free
    download here..

    CWShredder.. http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

    About:blank.. http://www.securiteam.com/securityreviews/5RP0L0UD5U.html

    http://www.pchell.com/support/aboutblank.shtml

    For other tools in the fight against spyware, visit this website and
    bookmark it..

    http://www.pchell.com

    You must also run a firewall and anti-virus program.. here are some links
    for you..

    http://www.mcafee.com
    http://www.symantec.com
    http://www.zonealarm.com
    http://www.kerio.com
    http://www.gate.com
    http://www.grisoft.com

    Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way that
    helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..

    Good luck..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > My computer, Intel PC w/2.4 p4, 1024 gb RAM, XP Pro OS, is starting to act
    > very erratic and unreliable. I want to do a complete HD backup and then a
    > format and reinstallation of XP. But I don't want to backup alot of
    > unnecessary stuff that will make for a congested backup. Can someone
    > please
    > tell me what items I should get rid of before doing a full backup? I
    > appreciate your advice.
    >
    > JCW

    Man this is why I use the NG's. I would really like to avoid the format
    option. I run Norton Antivirus 9.0 and keep the definitions updated
    faithfully and run scans at least once a week and it runs in the background.
    I also have installed and run MS AntiSpyware, AdAware, and SpyBot S and D
    and I also keep those updated as well. My system is malware and spyware free
    as well as clean of viruses. I don't know what is happening to cause the
    symptoms but I will try your suggestions before resorting to formatting.
    First, I got a BSOD (didn't record the code) did a repair. Then at boot it
    stalled at NVRAM (needless to say by process of elimination I narrowed it
    down to a USB cable that caused that situation) Then I had 2 more BSOD and
    subsequent repairs using XP Pro disk. Having said all that I will start to
    do the things offered and I will report back.

    Thanks to All,

    JCW

    JCW wrote:
> [...]
    >>http://www.grisoft.com
    >>

    >>Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way
    >
    > that
    >
    >>helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..
    >>
    >>Good luck..
    >>
    >>--
    >>Mike Hall
    >>MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >>"JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>My computer, Intel PC w/2.4 p4, 1024 gb RAM, XP Pro OS, is starting to
    >
    > act
    >
    >>>very erratic and unreliable. I want to do a complete HD backup and then

    >>>format and reinstallation of XP. But I don't want to backup alot of
    >>>unnecessary stuff that will make for a congested backup. Can someone
    >>>please
    >>>tell me what items I should get rid of before doing a full backup? I

    Make sure if you get a BSOD to write it down and post it here.

    gls858

    JCW

    When I was a fulltime working hardware service engineer for a major global
    company, every time that a machine 'went down', it was stripped to basics..
    keyboard, mouse, screen.. everything else was removed.. then we built the
    system back up item by item, noting any unusual behaviour..

    There was an instance where the OS flash screen was appearing but severely
    corrupted.. we did the obvious, reloading the OS from scratch using a backup
    tape, and then CD media.. still had the problem, so not a software problem
    as first thought.. bearing in mind that the machine appeared to work
    perfectly other than for the corruption at boot up, we stripped it down to
    bare essentials.. gradually adding stuff back, we discovered that it was a
    'rogue' network card.. the card worked well enough but something had
    happened and the end result was flash screen corruption.. we replaced the
    card and all was well again.. took hours though.. the machine type was a pig
    to take apart.. nothing like the average pc case and construction..

    You may want to try this route out for yourself..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> [...]
    >> http://www.grisoft.com
    >>

    >> Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way
    > that
    >> helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..
    >>
    >> Good luck..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >> > My computer, Intel PC w/2.4 p4, 1024 gb RAM, XP Pro OS, is starting to
    > act
    >> > very erratic and unreliable. I want to do a complete HD backup and then
    >> > format and reinstallation of XP. But I don't want to backup alot of
    >> > unnecessary stuff that will make for a congested backup. Can someone
    >> > please
    >> > tell me what items I should get rid of before doing a full backup? I

Backup Windows XP