Sign in with
Your question

Help my PC avoid a NASTY DEMISE

Last response: in Systems
April 26, 2007 11:29:13 AM

I'm hoping that someone here can help with a problem I'm having. I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

Last week I installed new parts:

Athlon 6000+ (CPU)
MSI K9A Platinum (Motherboard)
OCZ Gold DDR2 PC6400 2048MB (RAM)
HIS Radeon X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3 IcQ3 (Graphics Card)

Running the desktop, everything's fine, but shortly after starting any gaming, I get severe display corruption, from blots of colours or patterns, to even coloured triangles all over the screen. Once this happens, I exit the game and the problem is on the desktop, meaning I've to reboot. Twice VPU Recover kicked in and re-started the drivers, but the other 50+ times I've had to restart.

Thinking this was an overheating issue, I used ATI Tray Tools to adjust the x1950 s fan speed almost to full, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

I've tried the original drivers that came with the card, Catalysts 6.12 through to 7.4, removing the drivers before installing a new lot, and even the Omega drivers. Actually the Omegas made it more severe - the second it entered a game the problem started. I've already been through 4 re-installs of WinXP.

My PSU is the OCZ Modstream 520W, with 28A on the 12V rail. It seems to me that this should be enough. My case is the Thermaltake Armour, with all fans on full, so I've plenty of cooling. I've even tried running with the side panel off, and still the same.

BTW, I've no overclocking on this system. I know the HIS is factory overclocked from 575mhz to 590mhz, so I tried underclocking it, and still no effect.

This machine is used for gaming, but also as an internet gateway and media server for the rest of the house, so down-time is causing serious problems.

Please help, before this PC has an unfortunate ACCIDENT involving a VERY LARGE HAMMER.

P.S. Thanks in advance.

More about : avoid nasty demise

April 26, 2007 12:13:25 PM

I'm going to hazard a guess and say RMA. The card works fine in 2d mode(windows desktop) but craps out in 3d(gaming).
a b B Homebuilt system
April 26, 2007 12:51:12 PM

Sounds like you just got a bad card. Return it.
April 27, 2007 6:34:46 AM

Im gonna agree with bad card, and also wager a guess- the card's sink isnt seating properly or there isnt any thermal grease. Either way is an RMA, dont try and fix it, you void your warranty. This one really sounds like heat.
!