How is a 7-pass erase performed?

aphetto

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
I'm having some problems with my new pc and someone recommended that I should try a 7-pass erase on my HDD because just normal reformatting doesn't seem to be helping so I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how to perfom a 7-pass erase on a HDD with XP Pro.

sstteevvee

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
what problems are you having because it seems unlikely that would help. all it would do is write over everything with other junk 7 times. If something like that was necessary then i imagine even a 1-pass would be sufficient, and you can use a program called 'eraser' i think. also have you tried scandisk if you're getting file corruption or disk errors? you might also wanna use the windows cd to do the fix options that has. make sure you're doing full formats and not just quick ones too. depends what your problems are though. you're probably looking for eraser though which lets you do 1, 3, 7, or 35 pass erases of your disk or of files, or of unused space on your disk. I dont know of any viruses that can undelete themselves after a format though so i cant see how it would help unless your problem is that 'someone' downloaded some stuff that you want rid of. :roll:

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
if you mean formatting with your xp cd (not the quick option) is not helping you then you can try zeroing out your sectors, a 7 pass erase is bs ;)

check with your hdd manufacturer and they should have a simple app for you to zero out the sectors on your drive.

TRENDING THREADS