hdmi/dvi conundrum

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 28, 2004 9:30:36 PM

I have a 50" Sony KF-50WE620 rp lcd. Checking out the connection options at
the back I notice only 1 DVI input. I also have a motorola HD tuner with a
dvi output option. No problem so far.

I need to purchase a dvd player and, like always, I'm drawn to the latest
and greatest (hdmi/dvi output players). If I do pick one of these up,
though, I'll have two components that output dvi and only one input on the
tv. Is there a fix for this?

I was thinking about routing all components through an av receiver but not
many out there (read affordable ones) that have two dvi inputs and one
output. Are more planned for the near future?

Anyway, I was thinking that if I have to choose between cable and dvd I
would choose the cable as I watch tv more than dvd movies. I was also
wondering if we might not be getting stuck on connections and not pay too
much attention to the quality of the players with these connections. Case
in point, the Sony dvp-ns775v has a 12 bit/108 Mhz Video DAC which is
superior to several hdmi/dvi players out there.

Any thoughts out there? I'm all ears as I'm needing to buy soon...

Thanks

More about : hdmi dvi conundrum

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:26:50 AM

Not sure if this makes sense, but I have found that SVideo provided
identical output to my plasma as did component. Something about the
plasma's processor being superior to the DVD player's I hear.

So while theoretically HDMI is better than Component is better than SVideo--
this isn't always true with HDTVs.

"edee em" <emarano@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> I have a 50" Sony KF-50WE620 rp lcd. Checking out the connection options
at
> the back I notice only 1 DVI input. I also have a motorola HD tuner with
> dvi output option. No problem so far.
>
> I need to purchase a dvd player and, like always, I'm drawn to the latest
> and greatest (hdmi/dvi output players). If I do pick one of these up,
> though, I'll have two components that output dvi and only one input on the
> tv. Is there a fix for this?
>
> I was thinking about routing all components through an av receiver but not
> many out there (read affordable ones) that have two dvi inputs and one
> output. Are more planned for the near future?
>
> Anyway, I was thinking that if I have to choose between cable and dvd I
> would choose the cable as I watch tv more than dvd movies. I was also
> wondering if we might not be getting stuck on connections and not pay too
> much attention to the quality of the players with these connections. Case
> in point, the Sony dvp-ns775v has a 12 bit/108 Mhz Video DAC which is
> superior to several hdmi/dvi players out there.
>
> Any thoughts out there? I'm all ears as I'm needing to buy soon...
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 4:26:51 AM

That's what I suspect; HDMI may be sold to us for convenience reasons (one
cable versus 3 with component, 4 with digital audio, 5 with regular audio,
etc). Until someone is able to convince me otherwise....

"Verizon User" <anonymous@anon.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this makes sense, but I have found that SVideo provided
> identical output to my plasma as did component. Something about the
> plasma's processor being superior to the DVD player's I hear.
>
> So while theoretically HDMI is better than Component is better than
> SVideo--
> this isn't always true with HDTVs.
>

> "edee em" <emarano@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>> I have a 50" Sony KF-50WE620 rp lcd. Checking out the connection options
> at
>> the back I notice only 1 DVI input. I also have a motorola HD tuner with
>> dvi output option. No problem so far.
>>
>> I need to purchase a dvd player and, like always, I'm drawn to the latest
>> and greatest (hdmi/dvi output players). If I do pick one of these up,
>> though, I'll have two components that output dvi and only one input on
>> the
>> tv. Is there a fix for this?
>>
>> I was thinking about routing all components through an av receiver but
>> not
>> many out there (read affordable ones) that have two dvi inputs and one
>> output. Are more planned for the near future?
>>
>> Anyway, I was thinking that if I have to choose between cable and dvd I
>> would choose the cable as I watch tv more than dvd movies. I was also
>> wondering if we might not be getting stuck on connections and not pay too
>> much attention to the quality of the players with these connections.
>> Case
>> in point, the Sony dvp-ns775v has a 12 bit/108 Mhz Video DAC which is
>> superior to several hdmi/dvi players out there.
>>
>> Any thoughts out there? I'm all ears as I'm needing to buy soon...
>>
>> Thanks

November 29, 2004 10:02:30 PM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:30:36 -0500, edee em <emarano@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> I have a 50" Sony KF-50WE620 rp lcd. Checking out the connection options at
> the back I notice only 1 DVI input. I also have a motorola HD tuner with a
> dvi output option. No problem so far.
>
> I need to purchase a dvd player and, like always, I'm drawn to the latest
> and greatest (hdmi/dvi output players). If I do pick one of these up,
> though, I'll have two components that output dvi and only one input on the
> tv. Is there a fix for this?

Either a different input for one of them or a DVI switch like
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/products/switchers.jsp

For OTA HDTV on a smaller display, I notice no difference between VGA or
DVI in, so I use VGA cable included with my set top box.

For DVD, I notice a definite difference between up converted DVI and
component (limited by recording industry to 480p). So I use the DVI cable
included with DVD player.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 12:43:57 AM

I'm thinking that since DVI and HDMI were contrived by the mogules in
Hollywood, Ca to keep dvd's from being pirated, I'd use these
connections for the DVD and the component video for the cable tv.

Russ

:
!