Startup changed

April 27, 2005 5:22:38 PM

I have Windows XP Home with SP2 and all the security update installed. In
the past, on the startup only both the MSN and Yahoo messengers would open.
Recently, however, a Windows Explorer window pops up too. As much as I'm
aware of, I did not change the startup options, which is set to Normal. Why
this Windows Explorer window opens on startup? What caused the change in the
startup options? How to prevent the Windows Explorer from opening on
startup?
I will appreciate any suggestions and help.
--
Ilya Zeldes
Fort Myers, Florida

More about : startup changed

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 5:22:39 PM

First, make sure your antivirus software is up to date and run a virus scan
on your system. Second, check for any malware system, download, install and
run Ad Aware:
www.lavasoftusa.com.

If your system is clear of viruses and malware, if this is a relatively
recent issue, try using System Restore to take you back to a time prior to
when this began, Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.

If that fails to resolve it, you might have a look at the following site:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

--

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o mGTA40SFHA.336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I have Windows XP Home with SP2 and all the security update installed. In
>the past, on the startup only both the MSN and Yahoo messengers would open.
>Recently, however, a Windows Explorer window pops up too. As much as I'm
>aware of, I did not change the startup options, which is set to Normal. Why
>this Windows Explorer window opens on startup? What caused the change in
>the startup options? How to prevent the Windows Explorer from opening on
>startup?
> I will appreciate any suggestions and help.
> --
> Ilya Zeldes
> Fort Myers, Florida

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:06:26 AM

Michael,
thanks for your suggestions. I have AdAware SE, Spybot S&D and
SpywareBlaster installed and updated regularly. Also, I have a McAfee
Security package updated automatically and a router's firewall. I hope I'm
protected as well as I can. But this nowadays you never know...
As of System Restore, I'd rather avoid it, if I can. Also, I looked at the
MVPS site and checked my registry. Found nothing. Looked in the startup -
nothing, all the regular staff.
So, I have to ask again: why My Computer (in the original post I said Window
Explorer, now I realize it's My Comp showing the C drive) runs on a startup?
As a matter of fact, in Customize Start Menu > Advanced> Start Menu items
>My Computer checked Don't display this item. Of course, <don't display>
does not mean <don't run>...
Well, if you have any other idea, why My Comp runs on a startup, I'll
appreciate it.
Regards,
Ilya

> First, make sure your antivirus software is up to date and run a virus
> scan on your system. Second, check for any malware system, download,
> install and run Ad Aware:
> www.lavasoftusa.com.
>
> If your system is clear of viruses and malware, if this is a relatively
> recent issue, try using System Restore to take you back to a time prior to
> when this began, Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
> Restore.
>
> If that fails to resolve it, you might have a look at the following site:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm
>
> --
>
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o mGTA40SFHA.336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>I have Windows XP Home with SP2 and all the security update installed. In
>>the past, on the startup only both the MSN and Yahoo messengers would
>>open. Recently, however, a Windows Explorer window pops up too. As much as
>>I'm aware of, I did not change the startup options, which is set to
>>Normal. Why this Windows Explorer window opens on startup? What caused the
>>change in the startup options? How to prevent the Windows Explorer from
>>opening on startup?
>> I will appreciate any suggestions and help.
>> --
>> Ilya Zeldes
>> Fort Myers, Florida

April 28, 2005 2:28:32 PM

You should understand, XP's System Restore function only restores system
settings and the system registry to a specified point in time as opposed to
System Restore recovery options offered by manufacturers. To play safe, you
should put anything recently downloaded into the My Documents folder and
probably make sure your data files are there as well since System Restore is
designed to ignore the My Documents folder. In that regard, System Restore
is a good first line of defense, especially when you cannot quite figure out
what was done or might have been done to cause the problem and it is far
less invasive and time consuming than trying to find the specific source of
the issue when this simple function might correct the problem. Of course,
this assumes the absence of malware and viruses which require specific
removal procedures and is something for which System Restore should never be
used which is why my instructions state to use it if your system is clear of
viruses and malware. (see below)

As to the security apps, have you run scans recently. Simply having them
installed, especially antivirus software is not nearly enough, you must scan
as well. I'm not being condescending when I point this out, we get many
users who simply install the apps and forget about them figuring the
installation along with the updates are protecting them. The scans need to
be run. If you run scans regularly, have you run one since this issue
began.

--

news:o 2EEUA7SFHA.2916@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Michael,
> thanks for your suggestions. I have AdAware SE, Spybot S&D and
> SpywareBlaster installed and updated regularly. Also, I have a McAfee
> Security package updated automatically and a router's firewall. I hope I'm
> protected as well as I can. But this nowadays you never know...
> As of System Restore, I'd rather avoid it, if I can. Also, I looked at
> the MVPS site and checked my registry. Found nothing. Looked in the
> startup - nothing, all the regular staff.
> So, I have to ask again: why My Computer (in the original post I said
> Window Explorer, now I realize it's My Comp showing the C drive) runs on a
> startup? As a matter of fact, in Customize Start Menu > Advanced> Start
> Menu items
> >My Computer checked Don't display this item. Of course, <don't display>
> does not mean <don't run>...
> Well, if you have any other idea, why My Comp runs on a startup, I'll
> appreciate it.
> Regards,
> Ilya
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>> First, make sure your antivirus software is up to date and run a virus
>> scan on your system. Second, check for any malware system, download,
>> install and run Ad Aware:
>> www.lavasoftusa.com.
>>
>> If your system is clear of viruses and malware, if this is a relatively
>> recent issue, try using System Restore to take you back to a time prior
>> to when this began, Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
>> Restore.
>>
>> If that fails to resolve it, you might have a look at the following site:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>> "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o mGTA40SFHA.336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>>I have Windows XP Home with SP2 and all the security update installed. In
>>>the past, on the startup only both the MSN and Yahoo messengers would
>>>open. Recently, however, a Windows Explorer window pops up too. As much
>>>as I'm aware of, I did not change the startup options, which is set to
>>>Normal. Why this Windows Explorer window opens on startup? What caused
>>>the change in the startup options? How to prevent the Windows Explorer
>>>from opening on startup?
>>> I will appreciate any suggestions and help.
>>> --
>>> Ilya Zeldes
>>> Fort Myers, Florida

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 5:41:23 PM

ilyaz wrote:
> Michael,
> thanks for your suggestions. I have AdAware SE, Spybot S&D and
> SpywareBlaster installed and updated regularly. Also, I have a McAfee
> Security package updated automatically and a router's firewall. I hope I'm
> protected as well as I can. But this nowadays you never know...
> As of System Restore, I'd rather avoid it, if I can. Also, I looked at the
> MVPS site and checked my registry. Found nothing. Looked in the startup -
> nothing, all the regular staff.
> So, I have to ask again: why My Computer (in the original post I said Window
> Explorer, now I realize it's My Comp showing the C drive) runs on a startup?
> As a matter of fact, in Customize Start Menu > Advanced> Start Menu items
> >My Computer checked Don't display this item. Of course, <don't display>
> does not mean <don't run>...
> Well, if you have any other idea, why My Comp runs on a startup, I'll
> appreciate it.
> Regards,
> Ilya
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
>
>>First, make sure your antivirus software is up to date and run a virus
>>scan on your system. Second, check for any malware system, download,
>>install and run Ad Aware:
>>www.lavasoftusa.com.
>>
>>If your system is clear of viruses and malware, if this is a relatively
>>recent issue, try using System Restore to take you back to a time prior to
>>when this began, Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
>>Restore.
>>
>>If that fails to resolve it, you might have a look at the following site:
>>http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm
>>
>>--
>>
>>Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>>Windows Shell/User
>>https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
>>Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>>DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

>>"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:o mGTA40SFHA.336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>I have Windows XP Home with SP2 and all the security update installed. In
>>>the past, on the startup only both the MSN and Yahoo messengers would
>>>open. Recently, however, a Windows Explorer window pops up too. As much as
>>>I'm aware of, I did not change the startup options, which is set to
>>>Normal. Why this Windows Explorer window opens on startup? What caused the
>>>change in the startup options? How to prevent the Windows Explorer from
>>>opening on startup?
>>>I will appreciate any suggestions and help.
>>>--
>>>Ilya Zeldes
>>>Fort Myers, Florida

You say you checked an MVP site but you didn't say which one.
Check this site http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
Click on the M and look toward the bottom for an article
titled "My Documents Folder - Opens on boot"

gls858
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 3:32:30 AM

Yes, I checked the URL Michael provided in his message. There I found
essentially the same info as at Kelly's Korner. It didn't help. However,
while at Kelly's, I found some additional info and downloaded this jv16
Power tool. It looked nice... Unfortunately, it did not help, too.
As I mentioned it before, I update and run my AdAware, Spybot, etc.
regularly, as soon as I get notification that a new definition is
available... Cleaned registry, but no luck: My Comp > C:/ pops up on
startup...
Thanks for your suggestion,
Ilya

!