Startup changed

I have Windows XP Home with SP2 and all the security update installed. In
the past, on the startup only both the MSN and Yahoo messengers would open.
Recently, however, a Windows Explorer window pops up too. As much as I'm
aware of, I did not change the startup options, which is set to Normal. Why
this Windows Explorer window opens on startup? What caused the change in the
startup options? How to prevent the Windows Explorer from opening on
startup?
I will appreciate any suggestions and help.
--
Ilya Zeldes
Fort Myers, Florida

    First, make sure your antivirus software is up to date and run a virus scan
    on your system. Second, check for any malware system, download, install and
    run Ad Aware:
    www.lavasoftusa.com.

    If your system is clear of viruses and malware, if this is a relatively
    recent issue, try using System Restore to take you back to a time prior to
    when this began, Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.

    If that fails to resolve it, you might have a look at the following site:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

    --

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have Windows XP Home with SP2 and all the security update installed. In
    >the past, on the startup only both the MSN and Yahoo messengers would open.
    >Recently, however, a Windows Explorer window pops up too. As much as I'm
    >aware of, I did not change the startup options, which is set to Normal. Why
    >this Windows Explorer window opens on startup? What caused the change in
    >the startup options? How to prevent the Windows Explorer from opening on
    >startup?
    > I will appreciate any suggestions and help.
    > --
    > Ilya Zeldes
    > Fort Myers, Florida

    Michael,
    thanks for your suggestions. I have AdAware SE, Spybot S&D and
    SpywareBlaster installed and updated regularly. Also, I have a McAfee
    Security package updated automatically and a router's firewall. I hope I'm
    protected as well as I can. But this nowadays you never know...
    As of System Restore, I'd rather avoid it, if I can. Also, I looked at the
    MVPS site and checked my registry. Found nothing. Looked in the startup -
    nothing, all the regular staff.
    So, I have to ask again: why My Computer (in the original post I said Window
    Explorer, now I realize it's My Comp showing the C drive) runs on a startup?
    As a matter of fact, in Customize Start Menu > Advanced> Start Menu items
    >My Computer checked Don't display this item. Of course, <don't display>
    does not mean <don't run>...
    Well, if you have any other idea, why My Comp runs on a startup, I'll
    appreciate it.
    Regards,
    Ilya

    > First, make sure your antivirus software is up to date and run a virus
    > scan on your system. Second, check for any malware system, download,
    > install and run Ad Aware:
    > www.lavasoftusa.com.
    >
    > If your system is clear of viruses and malware, if this is a relatively
    > recent issue, try using System Restore to take you back to a time prior to
    > when this began, Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
    > Restore.
    >
    > If that fails to resolve it, you might have a look at the following site:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >

    > "ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I have Windows XP Home with SP2 and all the security update installed. In
    >>the past, on the startup only both the MSN and Yahoo messengers would
    >>open. Recently, however, a Windows Explorer window pops up too. As much as
    >>I'm aware of, I did not change the startup options, which is set to
    >>Normal. Why this Windows Explorer window opens on startup? What caused the
    >>change in the startup options? How to prevent the Windows Explorer from
    >>opening on startup?
    >> I will appreciate any suggestions and help.
    >> --
    >> Ilya Zeldes
    >> Fort Myers, Florida

    You should understand, XP's System Restore function only restores system
    settings and the system registry to a specified point in time as opposed to
    System Restore recovery options offered by manufacturers. To play safe, you
    should put anything recently downloaded into the My Documents folder and
    probably make sure your data files are there as well since System Restore is
    designed to ignore the My Documents folder. In that regard, System Restore
    is a good first line of defense, especially when you cannot quite figure out
    what was done or might have been done to cause the problem and it is far
    less invasive and time consuming than trying to find the specific source of
    the issue when this simple function might correct the problem. Of course,
    this assumes the absence of malware and viruses which require specific
    removal procedures and is something for which System Restore should never be
    used which is why my instructions state to use it if your system is clear of
    viruses and malware. (see below)

    As to the security apps, have you run scans recently. Simply having them
    installed, especially antivirus software is not nearly enough, you must scan
    as well. I'm not being condescending when I point this out, we get many
    users who simply install the apps and forget about them figuring the
    installation along with the updates are protecting them. The scans need to
    be run. If you run scans regularly, have you run one since this issue
    began.

    --

    ilyaz wrote:
    > Michael,
    > thanks for your suggestions. I have AdAware SE, Spybot S&D and
    > SpywareBlaster installed and updated regularly. Also, I have a McAfee
    > Security package updated automatically and a router's firewall. I hope I'm
    > protected as well as I can. But this nowadays you never know...
    > As of System Restore, I'd rather avoid it, if I can. Also, I looked at the
    > MVPS site and checked my registry. Found nothing. Looked in the startup -
    > nothing, all the regular staff.
    > So, I have to ask again: why My Computer (in the original post I said Window
    > Explorer, now I realize it's My Comp showing the C drive) runs on a startup?
    > As a matter of fact, in Customize Start Menu > Advanced> Start Menu items
    > >My Computer checked Don't display this item. Of course, <don't display>
    > does not mean <don't run>...
    > Well, if you have any other idea, why My Comp runs on a startup, I'll
    > appreciate it.
    > Regards,
    > Ilya
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>First, make sure your antivirus software is up to date and run a virus
    >>scan on your system. Second, check for any malware system, download,
    >>install and run Ad Aware:
    >>www.lavasoftusa.com.
    >>
    >>If your system is clear of viruses and malware, if this is a relatively
    >>recent issue, try using System Restore to take you back to a time prior to
    >>when this began, Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System
    >>Restore.
    >>
    >>If that fails to resolve it, you might have a look at the following site:
    >>http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm
    >>
    >>--
    >>
    >>Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >>Windows Shell/User
    >>https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >>Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >>DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >>"ilyaz" <ilyaz33@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have Windows XP Home with SP2 and all the security update installed. In
    >>>the past, on the startup only both the MSN and Yahoo messengers would
    >>>open. Recently, however, a Windows Explorer window pops up too. As much as
    >>>I'm aware of, I did not change the startup options, which is set to
    >>>Normal. Why this Windows Explorer window opens on startup? What caused the
    >>>change in the startup options? How to prevent the Windows Explorer from
    >>>opening on startup?
    >>>I will appreciate any suggestions and help.
    >>>--
    >>>Ilya Zeldes
    >>>Fort Myers, Florida

    You say you checked an MVP site but you didn't say which one.
    Check this site http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
    Click on the M and look toward the bottom for an article
    titled "My Documents Folder - Opens on boot"

    gls858

    Yes, I checked the URL Michael provided in his message. There I found
    essentially the same info as at Kelly's Korner. It didn't help. However,
    while at Kelly's, I found some additional info and downloaded this jv16
    Power tool. It looked nice... Unfortunately, it did not help, too.
    As I mentioned it before, I update and run my AdAware, Spybot, etc.
    regularly, as soon as I get notification that a new definition is
    available... Cleaned registry, but no luck: My Comp > C:/ pops up on
    startup...
    Thanks for your suggestion,
    Ilya

    "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > You say you checked an MVP site but you didn't say which one.
    > Check this site http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
    > Click on the M and look toward the bottom for an article
    > titled "My Documents Folder - Opens on boot"
    >
    > gls858

Windows Explorer Microsoft Windows XP