mrsick666

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hello,
why and the *** is it so hard and long to download a freakin game this is just such bullshit i have 3 kids they have waiting two days for one ******* crappy game used to u could go buy the damn game now u guys just rule people and contorl everything i wanna start by saying i am going to post to boycot this freakin dumb ass web site and there rules i think it retarded to have to wait for your crap and who pays for it the people who have to wait for days on end for a game that they get tired of waiting for so they loose interest and then whats worse u go buy the cd and then u still have to wait to play it and if u loose the net u can;t play your games u spend money on sucks balls its the worse thing since sliced bread just awful not happy not happy at all

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Wow...... I would be more upset with your ISP over slow downloads. Is it America Online? And maybe your English teacher......

So in summation youre upset because:

A) Slow downloads
B) Inability to understand how to run games offline through steam. Here is a FAQ about such a thing

Sooo none of theses issues has anything to do with Steam, mostly with your impatience and misunderstandings about the software you are using.

Do you see those little things on the end of the sentences I just typed? They look like a small round dot signifying the current sentence is over? <-- Not that, thats a question mark. <-- That little guy, that is a period. Using them will make you 10 times easier to understand.

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

lmao... That my friend, is one helluva reply.

I think we should boycott stupidity :pt1cable:

ViRaL007

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Let me sum it up for you. Steam is a GIGANTIC rip-off. I play games because they're "fun" Not because I want to come home from work and "guess what?" Between me and the game I'm the only working entity between the two! I have four games now that have problems. Why should I pay good money for damaged merchandise? Why should it be up to the consumer to fix something that shouldn't have been broken to begin with? If I had wanted to learn how to fix S**T I would've become a mechanic.

If Steam can't sell QUALITY software, then maybe they should sell to tech geeks only. Not everyone is computer savvy. I don't feel like calling the tech equivalent of Roto-Rooter over here everytime I buy something from these doorknobs just on the off chance they sold me another "partially" working product. If i go to Wal-Mart and buy a blender and it doesn't work I can get my money back or a new blender. In the end you don't end up with the equivalent of hmmm...nothing?

I paid 2.49 for Ghost Recon 2: Advanced Warfighter. Stupid thing hasn't stopped glitching from the moment I started trying to play. I'm sorry, 2.49 may not be much, but the damn game isn't worth two 1/2 cents if you can't play it without wanting to bury the mouse in a Steam exec's head. Two more games...manhunt. Can't get through the gate like 2 minutes into the game. Needs a patch. I'm not a computer wiz. Mafia? Same thing. Getting ready to do like the third mission. Go to drive the car out of Salierri's bar but the car stops at the end of the alley. Well, so much for that.

I can tell you this...buy a game off of playstation store. Tell me how many times there games don't work. Try counting up all the wasted effort trying to get someone from Steam to help you. OH no, we just sell it...you have to go to the original manufacturer and see what they can do.

I bought it from STEAM! If you're not smart enough to help "your" customers with there purchases then do everyone a favor and stop selling the games you don't know anything about or have time for. I'm all for boycotting stupidity...but i'm also for stopping internet highway robbery as well. I don't care what your reasoning is...bottom-line...if you cant fix it...don't sell it.

cvtrahan

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I’m very much with you. I purchased Rage on CD thinking I’d load and play (like the Doom and Quake days) but no, I had to connect to Steam to load it. For some reason Steam fails to connect although all my other internet stuff works okay.

Previously, I’d purchased “Battlefield Bad”, also from ID but pre-Steam. It crashed half way through and the patch would not download. The progress bar just sat there until gave up.
ID and/or Bethesda sell buggy, incomplete crap. They rush to market expecting to fix it with downloads. I agree with a previous post that they’re dishonest not disclosing on the CD that a fast internet connection is mandatory. Also, although mrsick666’s post is hard to read, I understand just how he feels.

I’m through with ID games.

Cardhu56

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
On Wednesday 2 January 2013, I purchased the games Armed Assault 2 and Armed Assault 2 - Operation Arrowhead from the digital game distributor Steam for our family gaming computer. Because we were on holiday vacation and I work in a different state 220 miles from home, I was delayed in downloading and installing the Steam service until Saturday 12 January. When I attempted to do so, the Operation Arrowhead game failed to start.

I therefore researched and found corrections for the failures I was experiencing with Steam's service from public online sources. I attempted the corrections described in the online sources for:

- Running the Steam game shortcut as Administrator;
- Verifying the integrity of the game cache files;
- Retrying the game;
- Modifying the permissions of the game installation in the Registry;
- Re-verifying the integrity of the game cache files;
- Retrying the game;
- Deleting the game installations from the registry;
- Re-running Steam as Administrator;
- Re-verifying the integrity of the game cache files;
- Retrying the game.

These measures did not correct Steam's malfunctioning service on my computer.

On Saturday 12 January, I therefore provided a problem report to Steam technical support online with a detailed description of my problems, screenshots of their errors in an attachment, a detailed description of my system configuration and operating system, and an outline of the corrective measures already attempted.

By this time, the downloads, installation, troubleshooting, and problem report had already consumed about 6 hours of my time. As a three-time leukemia survivor who is only home on weekends for about 43 hours per week, this was an irreplacable loss of nearly 14% of my whole weekend with my family.

On Monday 14 January, Steam technical support replied with a form letter that demonstrated no awareness of our computer configuration or the specific problems I was encountering. Instead, the form letter addressed operating systems and games I do not have in addition to the Windows 7 and Operation Arrowhead configuration I do have. Furthermore, the advice provided by Steam technical support only repeated the same measures I had already found online and attempted to no avail. I therefore replied questioning whether Steam technical support had even bothered to read my problem report. voiced complete loss of confidence in their ability to deliver a functioning service, and requested instructions for removing their software completely from my system with a full refund of my purchase price of $17.99.

On Tuesday 15 January, Steam technical support replied directing me to contact third party support and denied a refund for their failure to provide a working service. I replied that my viewpoint is that Steam has failed to deliver a working service for which I paid, has provided no effective remedy for their defective service, and that I would be filing complaints with the Better Business Bureau Online and the Federal Trade Commission.

As far as resorting to third party technical service, I have already lost several irreplacable hours from my shortened life trying to get Steam's service to work as advertised and now documenting their failure to provide the service for which I paid. I see no rationale for attempting to continue doing business with any company that openly abrogates its responsibility to provide a working service as advertised fit for its intended purpose and that seeks to pocket its unfortunate customers' money while doing so.

Steam aka Valve Corporation is very well-known by the US Better Business Bureau. They are rated "F" on a scale of A+ to F with the following history of complaints:

532 complaints in the past 3 years;
183 complaints closed in the past year;
55 complaints not even responded to:
23 complaints unresolved.

From the BBB review and rating:

"BBB has received a pattern of complaints from consumers alleging the games they purchase from Valve Corporation are malfunctioning or non-working. Consumers claim they send e-mails and leave voicemails for the company, but they do not receive responses from the company for customer service or to correct credit card charges."

http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/computer-software-publishers-and-developers/valve-corporation-in-bellevue-wa-27030704

luxology

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

It's nice to have some official recognition of Steam's sub-par service. They give great deals during sales, but often I feel it's not that great a deal after all the problems it brings.

And all you wanted to do was play some games. Far out. I can relate to this kind of service.

In their defence, they've made an attempt at cleaning up their act, including the support ticketing system. But I'm still sticking to Desura for smaller games, and XBOX for AA titles (partially due to my slow system). So I won't have to deal with Steam as much anymore.

lux

Kiowa789

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2012
Try harder next time, Obviously your making more accounts over and over again because you have nothing better to do with your life.
Pretty sure any Admin can read your Incoming information and read that recurring I.P.'s show up from you, you're probably using 2 different computers (Laptop/Desktop) to do this, again, try harder.

Sam Walker

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Old thread, I know, but I thought this company would have cleaned up its act by now. Not so. I just wasted an hour just trying to play a game we have played for weeks. The only variable was the new Steam update which annoyingly downloaded and installed on game startup. I do not leave open ports or online connections to Steam so they can suck my bandwidth or randomly update my machine at other times, so I guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise..
If their poor front end sales gate added any value at all it would not bother me nearly as much. It is a minus. When it doesn't allow you into what you have purchased at random times it is unforgivable.
I cannot blame mrsick66 for his composition, what counts is his justified anger. Games have issues, delivery methods should be transparent.
And to the two sages making fun of his writing skills: Get a life. Both of you have grammar and punctuation errors which a semi literate 4th grader could correct. Running a game on Steam can be frustrating. It is not difficult to do, nor should it be. Only a smug script kiddie would think it actually takes any technical skill.

luxology

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

What game? You might want to check out this.

Edit: you could also put in a support ticket as I mentioned earlier. Takes a couple of weeks, but you should get someone helpful.

Edit2: In my infinite wisdom I noticed just now how dodgy this thread looks. Kiowa789 I see your point, but I'm not a sock puppet. :D

lux