Sign in with
Your question

Should I be able to use DVI on first startup?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 26, 2007 2:45:01 PM

Just put together my new rig last night, all components pass a quick visual test, but I had my monitor (Samsung 206BW) plugged into my 8800GTS via DVI, but when nothing appeared on the screen except "searching for input," I assumed that because I hadn't installed my video card, that its DVI port wouldn't function properly. Of course, then I had to go to bed and haven't messed with it since then.

Thoughts? Oh, and if you didn't know, this is my first homebuilt computer :) 

More about : dvi startup

April 26, 2007 3:38:05 PM

You might want to set your BIOS to display from pci-e.
April 26, 2007 3:47:54 PM

Ha, I would if I could! My problem is that with no VGA inputs on my computer, my only option is DVI-D! Which leads to an interesting dilemma...
Related resources
April 26, 2007 4:30:57 PM

Are you sure you don't manually have to set the monitor to DVI input?
April 26, 2007 4:51:36 PM

Quote:
Just put together my new rig last night, all components pass a quick visual test, but I had my monitor (Samsung 206BW) plugged into my 8800GTS via DVI, but when nothing appeared on the screen except "searching for input," I assumed that because I hadn't installed my video card, that its DVI port wouldn't function properly. Of course, then I had to go to bed and haven't messed with it since then.

By installed your video card do you mean the drivers for your card? Or the actual card into the PCI-E slot? Also you did turn your computer on after hooking everything up and then you got the searching for input mesage correct? You shouldn't have any issues with using DVI on the first boot though.
April 26, 2007 5:02:32 PM

Quote:

By installed your video card do you mean the drivers for your card? Or the actual card into the PCI-E slot? Also you did turn your computer on after hooking everything up and then you got the searching for input mesage correct? You shouldn't have any issues with using DVI on the first boot though.

Yes by installation I mean that I just inserted the card into the PCIE slot. I do know the card is at least functioning somewhat (its fan turned on).

One theory I have is that I noticed when I hooked up the monitor on my old computer, I had to press a key on the keyboard for it to show a picture.

On my new computer, I have a USB keyboard connected, and i believe the default value on the DS3 is for a USB keyboard is disabled. So, it may just be that I need to hook up the keyboard via the PS/2 port.

And for the poster who posted the Newegg link, thanks, but I don't have a VGA input anywhere on my computer -- my video card is DVI only and my mobo, obviously, doesn't have this as well.
April 26, 2007 6:45:10 PM

Quote:

Yes by installation I mean that I just inserted the card into the PCIE slot. I do know the card is at least functioning somewhat (its fan turned on).

One theory I have is that I noticed when I hooked up the monitor on my old computer, I had to press a key on the keyboard for it to show a picture.

On my new computer, I have a USB keyboard connected, and i believe the default value on the DS3 is for a USB keyboard is disabled. So, it may just be that I need to hook up the keyboard via the PS/2 port.

And for the poster who posted the Newegg link, thanks, but I don't have a VGA input anywhere on my computer -- my video card is DVI only and my mobo, obviously, doesn't have this as well.

Yeah but you should at least get a post from your monitor. Do you have the PCI-E power cable hooked to your video card? I just find it odd that your not getting any connection signal. I mean I understand the usb keyboard being turned off in bios but I would think you would get a post at the very least. Do you get any bios beeps or anything?
April 26, 2007 6:51:24 PM

Yes, I get one beep, which according to the DS3 manual, means it booted up successfully.
April 26, 2007 6:58:27 PM

U should have at least seen the post screen.Its very likely that this is a monitor problem, do u have any other monitor to test with?U could try adjusting the cables properly and try the settings on the monitor.
April 26, 2007 7:00:38 PM

Quote:
Ha, I would if I could! My problem is that with no VGA inputs on my computer, my only option is DVI-D! Which leads to an interesting dilemma...

no vga inputs on your monitor?

because the card should have come with 2 dvi->vga adaptors.

mine booted directly up on the DVI if i recall correctly.
April 26, 2007 7:05:46 PM

Quote:

no vga inputs on your monitor?

because the card should have come with 2 dvi->vga adaptors.

mine booted directly up on the DVI if i recall correctly.

Yes, I do have a VGA input on my monitor, but none on the system itself.
April 26, 2007 7:07:39 PM

the 8800gts should have come with two adaptors

the two white things on the left.

use that to see if everything is working.
April 26, 2007 7:11:57 PM

Quote:
the 8800gts should have come with two adaptors

the two white things on the left.

use that to see if everything is working.

So are you suggesting that I plug one end into the VGA input on my monitor and the other on my DVI input on my video card?
April 26, 2007 7:15:41 PM

Quote:
So are you suggesting that I plug one end into the VGA input on my monitor and the other on my DVI input on my video card?

yes

dvi output to dvi-vga adaptor to monitor input

http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Digital_Vi...

as can be seen there, the dvi output on your video card contains the analog pins of a vga cable.
April 26, 2007 7:16:03 PM

Quote:

Bingo! :) 
April 26, 2007 7:22:22 PM

for my old 6800(plain) i could not use the DVI output to attack to my westy 37". I had to use the VGA cable.

with my 8800gts i go directly to the dvi and i use the vga for my 360(love 1080p on it).

you may need a firmware upgrade.

i'm using the evga 8800gts 640 megs.
April 26, 2007 7:22:32 PM

Ha, I swear I'm not that big of a noob :) 

Oh wait, yes I am.

This is what happens when you nurse along a Radeon 9800 Pro for five years :) 

All of this digital stuff flies right by you!

Hopefully I'll be able to isolate the issue (if any) with my other monitor if necessary.
April 26, 2007 7:30:24 PM

Plug in your monitor!
8)
May 7, 2007 10:57:37 AM

Hey guys,
I am having the same problem. Bought all my components for a new rig (3rd one ive built, so im not totally new to it), upon building and first boot i can get no input signal for my monitor.

system is:
Intel core2duo e6600
ASUS P5WDH Deluxe mobo
XFX 8800gts 640mb gfx
4gb corsair xms 6400 RAM
Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD

there are 2 dvi outputs on the gfx card, my monitor does support dvi-d input, as i used that on my old system (same monitor). there is no monitor output at all on the motherboard, dvi or vga, and so i cannot connect via the mobo. i have tried connecting via a converter to chagne the output from dvi to vga, just with dvi, and with both at same time. Still 'no input' message displayed on monitor.

I would put my old gfx card in and see if i can get a boot from that but it is AGP and this new mobo is pci-e :/ 

its a bit of a catch 22 as i cant get any input to boot the system and install gfx drivers, but without the gfx drivers theres no way of getting input.

any suggestions at all would be really appreciated, im by no means a pro with computers so im feeling a bit lost. at current im undergoing procedures to return the mobo and try to get another one with similar specs but also with onboard gfx so i should be able to get first boot from it. i cant really think of any other solution.....
May 7, 2007 12:15:26 PM

I found that my issue was that the 'USB Keyboard' value was disabled by default in my bios; I just hooked up a keyboard via PS/2, went into the BIOS, enabled USB keyboard support, plugged in my USB keyboard, and that allowed me to "activate" the monitor. I also found out that the monitor was searching for an analog signal while it was plugged into the DVI port. So I changed that too. May have had something to do with it. :D 
May 7, 2007 4:05:48 PM

ive never had to do anything with my keyboard to turn the monitor on before, and the keyboard and monitor havent changed, only the hardware in the pc.
im sure its something to do with the motherboard, as ive tried another gfx card in there which i know for a fact works, and the same problem occurs.
May 7, 2007 5:10:05 PM

does your monitor have an input selector?
May 7, 2007 5:18:03 PM

(1) Make sure Monitor has power and is turned on
sounds lame but my friends when hooking up there computer, forgot to plug in the monitor power cable, i had to drive 15mins to plug in a freaking power cable.

(2) As mentioned above if you can get into BIOS set Video to PCI-e
you may need an old PS/2 keyboard to get into BIOS, my DFI board wouldn't let my G15 work till i turned on USB keyboard in the BIOS

If still nothing works try, taking your monitor and its DVI cable to another computer with a DVI port and make sure its not the monitor or its a bad DVI cable. If that works make sure it has a net connection and go ahead and update the firmware of the monitor for good measure.

One question, What size power supply are you using? not enough power could be a cause.
May 7, 2007 7:43:20 PM

unfortunately i cant get into bios, as there is no input for the monitor right from the beginning. this is still at first boot stage so theres no windows installed yet. but as soon as i power up there is 'no input' error for monitor. there isnt any input selector on the monitor itself, but i know it works with another pc (the one im writing this with) so im fairly sure its not a monitor fault.

for power supply im using a 650w bought at the same time as the rest of the new components, all fans etc. are spinning when i power on so as far as i can tell theres plenty of power there. its not a power hungry system with leds and lights etc. as im not into flashy cases, its just a coolermaster centurion 2.

at the moment my theory is that its something to do with motherboard, im trying to get the vendor to refund the motherboard, then i intend to switch it for an evga nforce 680i sli, in the hope that the nvidea chipset on the MB will have the best compatibility for the geforce 8800gts. other than that i really dont know what to do :( 
!