larry_cartman

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
I’m looking for a case that is big enough to fit a Geforce 8800 GTS video card, but also relatively quiet as I am going to be doing some music recording. Also it should have good airflow and preferebly not cost more than 200 USD.

Finally, there should be room to install a PCI sound card (something which might not be the case with the Antec P180, according to what I’ve read somewhere).

Please, could someone give me some suggestions?

michaelst

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Larry...

Try this site. Quiet PC

I've bought several things (power supply, case, and stuff) over the years, and am very satisfied with the products, prices and service.

eckre

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Now this is a seriously quite case, and it's within your budget, but I would get yourself a NEXUS CASE

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/category=Quiet_Computer_Cases.html

Much quieter than the P180, and much cheaper. (Decked out the P180 with insulation would cost $500)

It's nice and big too. Doesn't have the most modern PSU, but it'll get the job done and do it quieter than you would have ever imagined.

I’m looking for a case that is big enough to fit a Geforce 8800 GTS video card, but also relatively quiet as I am going to be doing some music recording. Also it should have good airflow and preferebly not cost more than 200 USD.

Finally, there should be room to install a PCI sound card (something which might not be the case with the Antec P180, according to what I’ve read somewhere).

Please, could someone give me some suggestions?

haywood

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Just got a Thermaltake Armor Jr. Works great, awesome cooling and holds my 8800gts quite nicely.

Picked it up at www.case-mod.com for $95 including shipping.

larry_cartman

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Many thanks for all your replies.

Haywood (or others who can contribute) :), how is the noise level on the Armor Jr? Are there any dust problems? And are there room enough for me to use the PCI slots?

(I also appreciate the other suggestions but right now the Armor Jr is looking the most interesting for me, for some reasons.)

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
P180/182 can fit a GTS and a sound card and more. Check my sig. The only thing it's not too good for is a watercooling setup. Other than that, very quiet, tons of drive space, lotsa fan locations, sleek, and won't break the bank.

Thermaltake Armor Jr. is nice too, I'm doing a build for a buddy right now on it. Even better though is the Thermaltake Aguila.....exact same except a full front door, very nice. But not as quiet as the P180.

psteele

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
1 more vote for the p180/182.

p.s. if you're willing to risk it, newegg may still be selling p180b's that are actually 182's. I got one for 74.99 @fter rebate.

larry_cartman

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Thanks for your replies. About the P180 I'm a little hesitant because I've read that it is somewhat cramped and difficult to install things into, and I've read several people saying that they cant use the lowest PCI slot.

Hmm... Is it much quieter that the Armor Jr?

Btw, if it's relevant this is the MB that I am getting (click the picture in the upper left corner to see it): http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=266&maincat_no=1#

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I don't see why there wouldn't be space for a PCI card. Your graphics card would go in the top PCI-e slot, leaving tons of space for the lower slots.

Here, take a look at my P180....it's full of stuff and looks clean, runs very quiet (I've since replaced the 9500 with a Noctua HSF though):

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=226954&highlight=

larry_cartman

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Skyguy, from what I've read it's not because of the video card but apparently there just isn't room in the case to use the last PCI slot.

Here's some of the things I've read (there were some other sites too that I can't find now): "I've come across a couple issues: the feed hole for power supply cables from the PSU to the main chamber preclude one from installing a PCI card in the last slot on the motherboard" - http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46559

"... it was impossible to even put a PCI card into the last slot on my motherboard" - http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=410937

It worries me a little because the MB I'm getting only has two PCI slots.

Have you used the last slot without problems?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Ok, here's the deal:

In fairness, if you have a poor cabling job, it could render the bottom PCI useless. It's possible. However, there are 2 considerations that could make a difference:

1) if you get the P182, you can cable it through the rear and then no blockages/interference will occur with the PSU cable coming up the middle, so that'll make a differnce;

2) depending on the exact layout of the PCI slots, there could be enough clearance to the bottom...since there's only 2 PCI slots to begin with.

So, depends on how well you plan on cabling the case, and whether you truly need SLI. Very few people actually need SLI....by the time you decide to "add a 2nd card", there are single cards out that will beat the dual, lesser ones that you'll have. I've seen it happen over and over and over. Unless you plan on going SLI within 6-12 months of a card's release, there's no point because the next card out will beat them both together. Also, unless you're gaming at VERY high resolutions, a single, faster card will more than do the trick. It will also generate less heat in your case, use less power, etc, etc. So SLI only makes sense in a very few select instances.

Where I'm going with this is that unless you absolutely need SLI (I doubt it), you're far better of getting a single PCI-e mobo that also has 3 PCI slots. Which.......also then lets you easily fit a sound card or whatever without any interference from the cabling if you don't wanna spend time doing a good cable job.

Ya follow?

So:

-gonna cable nicely, get the P182
-no cabling but no SLI mobo is ok
-no cabling but SLI mobo could have fit problems

My $0.02 worth is get a Gigabyte 965P-DS3, a P182, and you're ready to rock.