GPS Serial

July 21, 2005 1:30:57 AM

I've got a 5455 running WM2003 i've a Hinari 203E gps that is connected to
com1, i've tried and cannot get this thing to connect with the test software
or pocket streets i just et port open but no data recieved.

I know the GPS works ok as i can plug it in to my bro's 5555 and do exactyly
what i'm doing on my 5455 and it works fine.

Any ideas. I know the port at the base of my ipaq is fine as i can usb sync
with it and i've also got some software for downloading data from my flight
computer by serial that works fine.

Any help greatfully apreciated.

Thanks

Damian

--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO

LARF - Putting the amateur back in rocketry!!

More about : gps serial

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:30:58 AM

Syncing doesn't mean much as it is using USB pins, and you are wanting
serial pins for the GPS. For grins, have you tried turning off your IR
capability on the 5555. I know some PPCs share Com1 between the connector
serial port and IR.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Damian Burrin" <burrin@nospamntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I've got a 5455 running WM2003 i've a Hinari 203E gps that is connected to
> com1, i've tried and cannot get this thing to connect with the test
> software or pocket streets i just et port open but no data recieved.
>
> I know the GPS works ok as i can plug it in to my bro's 5555 and do
> exactyly what i'm doing on my 5455 and it works fine.
>
> Any ideas. I know the port at the base of my ipaq is fine as i can usb
> sync with it and i've also got some software for downloading data from my
> flight computer by serial that works fine.
>
> Any help greatfully apreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Damian
>
> --
> Damian Burrin
> UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO
> EARS 1115
> http://www.ukrocketry.com
> http://www.larf-rocketry.co.uk
>
> LARF - Putting the amateur back in rocketry!!

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:15:52 PM

>> connected to... <<

connected to how, what cable, have you run other com tests to see if
communication is working... hyperterminal to vxHPC for example.

With serial connections, the samllest error anywhere in the "serial"
will stop communciation cold.

more info please, cable, any adapters, settings, etc, etc
July 21, 2005 7:24:19 PM

here's some info I put together a while ago regarding interfacing my serial
GPS receiver to a Jornada. I've since done the same with my Ipaq2215...
maybe it will help you...

m9876c at yahoo dot com

To interface a Jornada 547 to a GPS receiver, you need the following:

1. A suitable GPS receiver, capable of outputting a NMEA signal thru a
serial cable. Can be a receiver/antenna unit such as the one sold by
Rand-McNally, or a stand-alone handheld GPS unit.

2. A Jornada equipped with a serial port cable, having a 9-pin female
connector

3. A null modem and gender changer to connect the 9-pin female serial
connector from the GPS receiver to the 9-pin female serial connector from
the Jornada

4. suitable software for the Jornada, such as Streets&Trips2002 with the GPS
patch applied

5. A source of power (typically 5 or 6 volts) for the GPS receiver if it
doesn't provide it's own power.

NULL-MODEM
When devices communicate over a serial connection, each device typically
provides 3 signals: Data being received, Data being transmitted, and ground.
For two devices to exchange information, you need to connect the Receive
wire from one to the Transmit wire of the other, do the same for the
remaining receive and transmit wires, and connect the two ground wires
together. This is what the null-modem does. Since both cables are female,
you will also need to add a gender changer so that you end up with two male
9-pin serial connectors, with a null-modem between them. The null-modem and
gender changer can be purchased for less than $10 each in computer supply
stores, or you could simply buy two male 9-pin connectors and wire them
together. Basically, you want to connect pin3 of one to pin2 of the other,
then connect the other pin2 to pin3, and finally connect pin5 to pin5. How
do you know which pin is which? The connectors I've seen have tiny numbers
next to each pin when you look down into the connector. If you can't find
numbers, just look into the connector and the pins are numbered like this:

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9

POWER
The Rand-McNally GPS receiver comes with a male PS-2 connector at the end of
the cable, to be plugged into the MOUSE port of a laptop computer in order
to get the 5volts to power the receiver. There is also a female 9pin
connector that plugs into the serial port on the laptop to transfer data. I
understand the DeLorme GPS receivers have built-in batteries to provide
power. To use the Rand-McNally GPS with a Jornada, you need to provide the
5volts from a battery pack, connected to the PS-2 connector. The easiest way
to do this is to buy a 4-cell battery clip to hold 4 AA cells (or 4-C or 4-D
cells, if you don't mind carrying around the extra weight!), which will
provide approximately 6volts. The wires from the battery clip are then
connected to a female PS-2 connector, into which the male connector can be
plugged to turn on the GPS receiver. Which hole is which? If you look into
the female PS-2 connector, holding it with the little rectangular hole(the
"0" in the diagram below) toward the top, the holes are arranged like this:

6 5
0
(+) 4 3 (-)

1 2

Hole4 is +5volts, and hole3 is the negative wire from the batteries. I was
unable to find a female PS-2 connector, so I used a regular 5-pin DIN socket
I had on hand, then used a keyboard adaptor to convert that to the PS-2
connector I needed. It turned out to be a quick, cheap, and easy-to-wire
solution to the problem. If you do the same, the connections for the 5-pin
DIN socket are as follows:

3 1

(+) 5 4 (-)
2

Be sure to note that the above diagrams are looking into the SOCKET from
what will be the plug side, and that the (+) and (-) symbols are for the
positive and negative wires from the 6volt battery pack.

SOFTWARE
You need three pieces of software to interface to the Jornada:
1. Streets&Trips2002, about $30, although SAMs and COSTCO sell it for $13
after a rebate.
2. a 1.6meg patch that enables the GPS, available at:
http://www.microsoft.com/pocketstreets/
3. ACTIVESYNC3.5 to install the software from your computer to the Jornada
thru the serial cable

Install Activesync on your computer, so it will be available later. Then
install Streets&Trips2002. Finally, run the patch, which will modify the S&T
program. When you connect the Jornada, it will ask if you want to install
the program. Answer yes, and you will soon have a GPS-enabled version of S&T
on the Jornada. You can then use S&T on the main computer to create some
small maps for the Jornada, covering the areas you expect to need. These
maps can be kept on a removable memory card, but I suggest that you copy any
map you want to use into the Jornada's memory, so it will be accessed
faster. Trust me, it does make a difference, especially with maps that are
several meg in size!

USING IT
Connect the GPS to the Jornada using the null-modem, connect the GPS to the
power source, start the Jornada, and then start the S&T program on it. You
will need to select a map (should be in main memory!), then go down to
TOOLS, select GPS, and start it up. Depending on how clear your view of the
sky is, it may take a few minutes to acquire the satellites, but eventually
it will draw the map with a circle in the center, representing your
position. You can zoom in or out, depending on how much detail you want to
see. When you are finished using the GPS, be sure to unplug the power cord.
The receiver draws about 115ma from the battery, which should last several
hours.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 9:10:26 PM

> connected to how

The gps unit came with a cable for the 5x series it is a ps2 type power
cable linked to a car cigerette connector for power and a ipaq base
connector for the PC I can pot pics to a url if that helps.

I've not tested the serial connector in any way really not sure how. But i
can say that i wrote a peice of software for a flight computer that connects
via serial using a ipaq to serial lead (null modem) type ad this comunicates
on the same settings as the gps. Com1, 4800, 8, 1, N iirc and that works
fine. I do have to turn off active sync before i make a connection with it
but i have no problems connecting.

I will try turning off the ir but i'm not sure you can do that on a 5455.

I can download vxHPC from cam but will probably need some advice on how to
test it.

Cheers

Damian
--

message news:ewuq06fjFHA.2444@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> connected to... <<
>
> connected to how, what cable, have you run other com tests to see if
> communication is working... hyperterminal to vxHPC for example.
>
> With serial connections, the samllest error anywhere in the "serial" will
> stop communciation cold.
>
> more info please, cable, any adapters, settings, etc, etc

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 9:42:41 PM

Update

I've just check some of the software i've both bought and written for the
PPC serial connection and i seem to have a more fundimental problem. ALL
the software will make the initial connection to the device and appears to
open or at least send the initial command to the device but then not recive
any information back what so ever.

It would look like my com port is shafted. Pitty it's out of warranty.
I've used the com port what half a dozen times in the 15mths i've had my
pda.

Damian
--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO
EARS 1115
http://www.ukrocketry.com
http://www.larf-rocketry.co.uk

LARF - Putting the amateur back in rocketry!!

message news:ewuq06fjFHA.2444@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> connected to... <<
>
> connected to how, what cable, have you run other com tests to see if
> communication is working... hyperterminal to vxHPC for example.
>
> With serial connections, the samllest error anywhere in the "serial" will
> stop communciation cold.
>
> more info please, cable, any adapters, settings, etc, etc

July 21, 2005 9:42:42 PM

A hard reset may be in order.
Terry

> Update
>
> I've just check some of the software i've both bought and written for the
> PPC serial connection and i seem to have a more fundimental problem. ALL
> the software will make the initial connection to the device and appears to
> open or at least send the initial command to the device but then not
> recive any information back what so ever.
>
> It would look like my com port is shafted. Pitty it's out of warranty.
> I've used the com port what half a dozen times in the 15mths i've had my
> pda.
>
> Damian
> --
> Damian Burrin
> UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO
> EARS 1115
> http://www.ukrocketry.com
> http://www.larf-rocketry.co.uk
>
> LARF - Putting the amateur back in rocketry!!
>
> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:ewuq06fjFHA.2444@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>
>> connected to how, what cable, have you run other com tests to see if
>> communication is working... hyperterminal to vxHPC for example.
>>
>> With serial connections, the samllest error anywhere in the "serial" will
>> stop communciation cold.
>>
>> more info please, cable, any adapters, settings, etc, etc

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:47:30 PM

Update 2

Well i think i've narrowed it down to a faulty connector. If using my
Flight computer which give instant results rather than waiting for a gps
connection i try to connect via serial i get nowt. If howerver ilift the
connect slghtly in the socket it connects and works. so looks like i might
need a new socket and connector board which are about £60 if i remember
correctly

Damian

--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO
EARS 1115
http://www.ukrocketry.com
http://www.larf-rocketry.co.uk

LARF - Putting the amateur back in rocketry!!

"Damian Burrin" <burrin@nospamntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Update
>
> I've just check some of the software i've both bought and written for the
> PPC serial connection and i seem to have a more fundimental problem. ALL
> the software will make the initial connection to the device and appears to
> open or at least send the initial command to the device but then not
> recive any information back what so ever.
>
> It would look like my com port is shafted. Pitty it's out of warranty.
> I've used the com port what half a dozen times in the 15mths i've had my
> pda.
>
> Damian
> --
> Damian Burrin
> UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO
> EARS 1115
> http://www.ukrocketry.com
> http://www.larf-rocketry.co.uk
>
> LARF - Putting the amateur back in rocketry!!
>
> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:ewuq06fjFHA.2444@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>
>> connected to how, what cable, have you run other com tests to see if
>> communication is working... hyperterminal to vxHPC for example.
>>
>> With serial connections, the samllest error anywhere in the "serial" will
>> stop communciation cold.
>>
>> more info please, cable, any adapters, settings, etc, etc

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:09:18 AM

>A hard reset may be in order.
>Terry

Maybe, i think more likely i'll need to replace the switch board assembly.
The fact that when i push down on the connect and it works makes me think of
a dry joint or faulty connector.

Will deffinatly try a hard reset first.

Now i know that a hard reset removes everything. But will it put back
ppc2002 or go back to 2003 as thats in the rom?

Damian

--

"tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
>A hard reset may be in order.
> Terry
>
> "Damian Burrin" <burrin@nospamntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Update
>>
>> I've just check some of the software i've both bought and written for the
>> PPC serial connection and i seem to have a more fundimental problem. ALL
>> the software will make the initial connection to the device and appears
>> to open or at least send the initial command to the device but then not
>> recive any information back what so ever.
>>
>> It would look like my com port is shafted. Pitty it's out of warranty.
>> I've used the com port what half a dozen times in the 15mths i've had my
>> pda.
>>
>> Damian
>> --
>> Damian Burrin
>> UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO
>> EARS 1115
>> http://www.ukrocketry.com
>> http://www.larf-rocketry.co.uk
>>
>> LARF - Putting the amateur back in rocketry!!
>>
>> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
>> message news:ewuq06fjFHA.2444@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> connected to how, what cable, have you run other com tests to see if
>>> communication is working... hyperterminal to vxHPC for example.
>>>
>>> With serial connections, the samllest error anywhere in the "serial"
>>> will stop communciation cold.
>>>
>>> more info please, cable, any adapters, settings, etc, etc

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:33:09 PM

Damian Burrin wrote:

> > connected to how
>
> The gps unit came with a cable for the 5x series it is a ps2 type power
> cable linked to a car cigerette connector for power and a ipaq base
> connector for the PC I can pot pics to a url if that helps.
>
> I've not tested the serial connector in any way really not sure how. But i
> can say that i wrote a peice of software for a flight computer that connects
> via serial using a ipaq to serial lead (null modem) type ad this comunicates
> on the same settings as the gps. Com1, 4800, 8, 1, N iirc and that works
> fine. I do have to turn off active sync before i make a connection with it
> but i have no problems connecting.
>
> I will try turning off the ir but i'm not sure you can do that on a 5455.
>
> I can download vxHPC from cam but will probably need some advice on how to
> test it.
>
> Cheers
>
> Damian
> --
> Damian Burrin
> UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO
> EARS 1115
> http://www.ukrocketry.com
> http://www.larf-rocketry.co.uk
>
> LARF - Putting the amateur back in rocketry!!
>
> "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
> message news:ewuq06fjFHA.2444@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >
> > connected to how, what cable, have you run other com tests to see if
> > communication is working... hyperterminal to vxHPC for example.
> >
> > With serial connections, the samllest error anywhere in the "serial" will
> > stop communciation cold.
> >
> > more info please, cable, any adapters, settings, etc, etc

The cable looks OK, for I have a similar one.
You must check that either your Nav prog supports your specific serial GPS or
you must configure both the NAV prog and the GPS for NMEA.
I use NMEA sucessfully on a Garmin GPS II+ together with Tomtom3 on an iPAQ
2210.

--
Veel plezier / Have fun
Bert