monitor powers down as XP starts...

aphetto

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
When I try to boot up normally my monitor will just power down and not turn back on, however if I boot up in safe mode I have no trouble at all with my monitor and I know that my system isn' infected with a virus or adware or spyware. I was thinking maybe my monitor was broken but then surprised that it worked fine in safe mode, does anyone know what's up?

khansm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I would recommend you right click on the desktop, properties, then the tab Screensaver and the button 'Power', check to see that your screen isn't set to turn off to save energy after a too short time, change it if it
is.

pcjim

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
sounds like a driver issue - Download and install the latest driver for your video card, Also and missed alot - at the same time download the driver for your monitor (monitor needs a drivers 2) this will help with any resolution or mghz problems that are preventing the monitor from working correctly in windows. (if your not sure what video card you have check the manufactures product information for your brand, make, model) You can also possibly find the information under Start - all programs - accessories - system tools - system information -click the + sign next to components and then click display --- the device manager also will give you a hint on your graphic card. Worst case option, open the pc and find the name and model number for the graphic card