MediaWorks

Last response: in Network Providers
January 2, 2005 11:28:16 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a Motorola V3 RAZR, and MediaWorks. I have been trying to use
certain applications (the SSH client from www.idokorro.com and jmIrc, a
j2me IRC client among others) and they both complain that they cannot
access the internet.

I can use the Motorola built-in e-mail client correctly and
web-browsing also works fine. Built-in AIM client also works fine.

Do I need something other than MediaWorks to use those third-party apps?

The connectivity options on the phone have not been tweaked. They're
whatever they were when I got it from Cingular.

Thanks for the help,

nik

More about : mediaworks

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 4:33:00 AM

On 01/02/2005 20:28 PM, Nikolaos D. Bougalis wrote:

> I have a Motorola V3 RAZR, and MediaWorks. I have been trying to use
> certain applications (the SSH client from www.idokorro.com and jmIrc, a
> j2me IRC client among others) and they both complain that they cannot
> access the internet.

Not all things work through MEdia Works.

> I can use the Motorola built-in e-mail client correctly and
> web-browsing also works fine. Built-in AIM client also works fine.
>
> Do I need something other than MediaWorks to use those third-party
> apps?

Depends. I am able to use MindTerm SSH through Media Works, but not FTP
over SSL.

--
Best regards,
John Navas

John Navas wrote:
> On 01/02/2005 20:28 PM, Nikolaos D. Bougalis wrote:
>
>> I have a Motorola V3 RAZR, and MediaWorks. I have been trying to
>> use certain applications (the SSH client from www.idokorro.com and
>> jmIrc, a j2me IRC client among others) and they both complain that
>> they cannot access the internet.
>

> Not all things work through MEdia Works.

Obviously. The software doesn't need to go through a WAP HTTP gateway,
but that's seems to be the only setup MEdia Works supports. At least, as
far as I can tell.

>> I can use the Motorola built-in e-mail client correctly and
>> web-browsing also works fine. Built-in AIM client also works fine.
>>
>> Do I need something other than MediaWorks to use those third-party
>> apps?
>

> Depends. I am able to use MindTerm SSH through Media Works, but not FTP
> over SSL.

What settings do you have? wap.cingular or isp.cingular for your APN?
Do you use GPRS or CSD?

-n
January 3, 2005 3:15:53 PM

In <Nd9Cd.8993$yW5.5151@fed1read02> on Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:35:25 -0800,
"Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:

>> Not all things work through MEdia Works.
>
> Obviously. The software doesn't need to go through a WAP HTTP gateway,
>but that's seems to be the only setup MEdia Works supports. At least, as
>far as I can tell.

Many other ports are forwarded besides WAP, including HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, POP,
IMAP, NNTP, and SSH.

>> Depends. I am able to use MindTerm SSH through Media Works, but not FTP
>> over SSL.
>
> What settings do you have? wap.cingular or isp.cingular for your APN?

wap.cingular -- MEdia settings must be used with a MEdia package, not Wireless
Internet Express settings (i.e., isp.cingular doesn't work).

>Do you use GPRS or CSD?

Both.

January 4, 2005 10:53:24 PM

John Navas wrote:

> In <Nd9Cd.8993$yW5.5151@fed1read02> on Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:35:25 -0800,
> "Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote:
>

>>John Navas wrote:
>

>>>Not all things work through MEdia Works.
>>
>> Obviously. The software doesn't need to go through a WAP HTTP gateway,
>>but that's seems to be the only setup MEdia Works supports. At least, as
>>far as I can tell.
>

> Many other ports are forwarded besides WAP, including HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, POP,
> IMAP, NNTP, and SSH.

The question then becomes why does one Java Midlet that should let me
SSH to a host, or another than should let me IRC to a host both fail?

Nobody at Cingular has an answer. Granted, they are third-party midlets
so they don't have to support them, but from what I understand, they
should be working, and aren't because something with my settings isn't
quite right.

-n
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:47:18 AM

In <VwJCd.9402$yW5.3114@fed1read02> on Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:53:24 -0800,
"Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>>
>> In <Nd9Cd.8993$yW5.5151@fed1read02> on Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:35:25 -0800,

>>> Obviously. The software doesn't need to go through a WAP HTTP gateway,
>>>but that's seems to be the only setup MEdia Works supports. At least, as
>>>far as I can tell.
>>
>> Many other ports are forwarded besides WAP, including HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, POP,
>> IMAP, NNTP, and SSH.
>
> The question then becomes why does one Java Midlet that should let me
>SSH to a host, or another than should let me IRC to a host both fail?

Good question, especially since MindTerm SSH works for me.

> Nobody at Cingular has an answer. Granted, they are third-party midlets
>so they don't have to support them,

More to the point, Cingular only supports handset access on MEdia packages.
For more complete support, you have to pay more.

>but from what I understand, they
>should be working, and aren't because something with my settings isn't
>quite right.

That's my guess too.

January 5, 2005 10:47:19 AM

John Navas wrote:

> In <VwJCd.9402$yW5.3114@fed1read02> on Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:53:24 -0800,
> "Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote:
>

>>John Navas wrote:

>>>Many other ports are forwarded besides WAP, including HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, POP,
>>>IMAP, NNTP, and SSH.
>>
>> The question then becomes why does one Java Midlet that should let me
>>SSH to a host, or another than should let me IRC to a host both fail?
>

> Good question, especially since MindTerm SSH works for me.

Are you running MindTerm on the phone, or, instead, on a computer,
using the phone as a bona-fide modem?

>> Nobody at Cingular has an answer. Granted, they are third-party midlets
>>so they don't have to support them,
>

> More to the point, Cingular only supports handset access on MEdia packages.
> For more complete support, you have to pay more.

I don't quite follow your logic here. The midlets are running *on* the
phone.

-n
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:09:52 PM

In <6APCd.13759$yW5.3181@fed1read02> on Wed, 05 Jan 2005 02:46:26 -0800,
"Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:

> Are you running MindTerm on the phone, or, instead, on a computer,
>using the phone as a bona-fide modem?

I'm running MindTerm on a notebook computer, connected to the phone over
Bluetooth, with the phone connected to the Internet by GPRS/EGPRS(EDGE).

>> More to the point, Cingular only supports handset access on MEdia packages.
>> For more complete support, you have to pay more.
>
> I don't quite follow your logic here. The midlets are running *on* the
>phone.

But not supported unless they came from Cingular.

January 5, 2005 2:09:53 PM

John Navas wrote:

> In <6APCd.13759$yW5.3181@fed1read02> on Wed, 05 Jan 2005 02:46:26 -0800,
> "Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote:
>

>>John Navas wrote:
>

>> Are you running MindTerm on the phone, or, instead, on a computer,
>>using the phone as a bona-fide modem?
>

> I'm running MindTerm on a notebook computer, connected to the phone over
> Bluetooth, with the phone connected to the Internet by GPRS/EGPRS(EDGE).

See, my situation is different. The applets are running on the phone;
they need to be able to establish connections without going through the
WAP gateway.

Right now, I have "MEdia Works" and can browse using the phone's
built-in browser, and use the phone's built-in e-mail client. But the
midlets don't work.

Idokorro specifically states: "A Data Acess Plan with access to a GPRS
Data Internet Access Point. Note: A WAP Access Point won't work." In
response to that, the guys over at Cingular tell me that that I have
"MEdia Works" and that I can browse the web, which of course, isn't what
I'm asking.

What feature do I need to be able to do that? Is the "isp.cingular" (or
whatever it is called nowdays) feature what I am looking for? How do I
get Cingular ot add it? And how do I configure the phone for it?

-n
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 11:14:30 PM

In <D6QCd.13925$yW5.6861@fed1read02> on Wed, 05 Jan 2005 03:23:15 -0800,
"Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:

>> I'm running MindTerm [SSH] on a notebook computer, connected to the phone over
>> Bluetooth, with the phone connected to the Internet by GPRS/EGPRS(EDGE).
>
> See, my situation is different. The applets are running on the phone;
>they need to be able to establish connections without going through the
>WAP gateway.

Then the problem must be in your apps or handset. The WAP gateway is just
like any other gateway when the proper ports are being forwarded -- WAP isn't
involved unless you are making a WAP connection.

> Right now, I have "MEdia Works" and can browse using the phone's
>built-in browser, and use the phone's built-in e-mail client.

In other words, MEdia Works is working.

>But the
>midlets don't work.

Thus the problem must be in your apps or handset.

> Idokorro specifically states: "A Data Acess Plan with access to a GPRS
>Data Internet Access Point. Note: A WAP Access Point won't work." In
>response to that, the guys over at Cingular tell me that that I have
>"MEdia Works" and that I can browse the web, which of course, isn't what
>I'm asking.
>
> What feature do I need to be able to do that? Is the "isp.cingular" (or
>whatever it is called nowdays) feature what I am looking for? How do I
>get Cingular ot add it?

Switch to a more expensive data plan (Wireless Internet Express).

>And how do I configure the phone for it?

See my webpages below.