MediaWorks

Hello everyone,

I have a Motorola V3 RAZR, and MediaWorks. I have been trying to use
certain applications (the SSH client from www.idokorro.com and jmIrc, a
j2me IRC client among others) and they both complain that they cannot
access the internet.

I can use the Motorola built-in e-mail client correctly and
web-browsing also works fine. Built-in AIM client also works fine.

Do I need something other than MediaWorks to use those third-party apps?

The connectivity options on the phone have not been tweaked. They're
whatever they were when I got it from Cingular.

Thanks for the help,

nik
9 answers Last reply
More about mediaworks

    On 01/02/2005 20:28 PM, Nikolaos D. Bougalis wrote:

    > I have a Motorola V3 RAZR, and MediaWorks. I have been trying to use
    > certain applications (the SSH client from www.idokorro.com and jmIrc, a
    > j2me IRC client among others) and they both complain that they cannot
    > access the internet.

    Not all things work through MEdia Works.

    > I can use the Motorola built-in e-mail client correctly and
    > web-browsing also works fine. Built-in AIM client also works fine.
    >
    > Do I need something other than MediaWorks to use those third-party
    > apps?

    Depends. I am able to use MindTerm SSH through Media Works, but not FTP
    over SSL.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas wrote:
    > On 01/02/2005 20:28 PM, Nikolaos D. Bougalis wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Motorola V3 RAZR, and MediaWorks. I have been trying to
    >> use certain applications (the SSH client from www.idokorro.com and
    >> jmIrc, a j2me IRC client among others) and they both complain that
    >> they cannot access the internet.
    >

    > Not all things work through MEdia Works.

    Obviously. The software doesn't need to go through a WAP HTTP gateway,
    but that's seems to be the only setup MEdia Works supports. At least, as
    far as I can tell.

    >> I can use the Motorola built-in e-mail client correctly and
    >> web-browsing also works fine. Built-in AIM client also works fine.
    >>
    >> Do I need something other than MediaWorks to use those third-party
    >> apps?
    >

    > Depends. I am able to use MindTerm SSH through Media Works, but not FTP
    > over SSL.

    What settings do you have? wap.cingular or isp.cingular for your APN?
    Do you use GPRS or CSD?

    -n

    In <Nd9Cd.8993$yW5.5151@fed1read02> on Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:35:25 -0800,
    "Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote:

    >John Navas wrote:

    >> Not all things work through MEdia Works.
    >
    > Obviously. The software doesn't need to go through a WAP HTTP gateway,
    >but that's seems to be the only setup MEdia Works supports. At least, as
    >far as I can tell.

    Many other ports are forwarded besides WAP, including HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, POP,
    IMAP, NNTP, and SSH.

    >> Depends. I am able to use MindTerm SSH through Media Works, but not FTP
    >> over SSL.
    >
    > What settings do you have? wap.cingular or isp.cingular for your APN?

    wap.cingular -- MEdia settings must be used with a MEdia package, not Wireless
    Internet Express settings (i.e., isp.cingular doesn't work).

    >Do you use GPRS or CSD?

    Both.

    John Navas wrote:

    > In <Nd9Cd.8993$yW5.5151@fed1read02> on Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:35:25 -0800,
    > "Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote:
    >

    >>John Navas wrote:
    >

    >>>Not all things work through MEdia Works.
    >>
    >> Obviously. The software doesn't need to go through a WAP HTTP gateway,
    >>but that's seems to be the only setup MEdia Works supports. At least, as
    >>far as I can tell.
    >

    > Many other ports are forwarded besides WAP, including HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, POP,
    > IMAP, NNTP, and SSH.

    The question then becomes why does one Java Midlet that should let me
    SSH to a host, or another than should let me IRC to a host both fail?

    Nobody at Cingular has an answer. Granted, they are third-party midlets
    so they don't have to support them, but from what I understand, they
    should be working, and aren't because something with my settings isn't
    quite right.

    -n

    In <VwJCd.9402$yW5.3114@fed1read02> on Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:53:24 -0800,
    "Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote:

    >John Navas wrote:
    >>
    >> In <Nd9Cd.8993$yW5.5151@fed1read02> on Mon, 03 Jan 2005 02:35:25 -0800,

    >>> Obviously. The software doesn't need to go through a WAP HTTP gateway,
    >>>but that's seems to be the only setup MEdia Works supports. At least, as
    >>>far as I can tell.
    >>
    >> Many other ports are forwarded besides WAP, including HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, POP,
    >> IMAP, NNTP, and SSH.
    >
    > The question then becomes why does one Java Midlet that should let me
    >SSH to a host, or another than should let me IRC to a host both fail?

    Good question, especially since MindTerm SSH works for me.

    > Nobody at Cingular has an answer. Granted, they are third-party midlets
    >so they don't have to support them,

    More to the point, Cingular only supports handset access on MEdia packages.
    For more complete support, you have to pay more.

    >but from what I understand, they
    >should be working, and aren't because something with my settings isn't
    >quite right.

    That's my guess too.

    John Navas wrote:

    > In <VwJCd.9402$yW5.3114@fed1read02> on Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:53:24 -0800,
    > "Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote:
    >

    >>John Navas wrote:

    >>>Many other ports are forwarded besides WAP, including HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, POP,
    >>>IMAP, NNTP, and SSH.
    >>
    >> The question then becomes why does one Java Midlet that should let me
    >>SSH to a host, or another than should let me IRC to a host both fail?
    >

    > Good question, especially since MindTerm SSH works for me.

    Are you running MindTerm on the phone, or, instead, on a computer,
    using the phone as a bona-fide modem?

    >> Nobody at Cingular has an answer. Granted, they are third-party midlets
    >>so they don't have to support them,
    >

    > More to the point, Cingular only supports handset access on MEdia packages.
    > For more complete support, you have to pay more.

    I don't quite follow your logic here. The midlets are running *on* the
    phone.

    -n

    In <6APCd.13759$yW5.3181@fed1read02> on Wed, 05 Jan 2005 02:46:26 -0800,
    "Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote:

    >John Navas wrote:

    > Are you running MindTerm on the phone, or, instead, on a computer,
    >using the phone as a bona-fide modem?

    I'm running MindTerm on a notebook computer, connected to the phone over
    Bluetooth, with the phone connected to the Internet by GPRS/EGPRS(EDGE).

    >> More to the point, Cingular only supports handset access on MEdia packages.
    >> For more complete support, you have to pay more.
    >
    > I don't quite follow your logic here. The midlets are running *on* the
    >phone.

    But not supported unless they came from Cingular.

    John Navas wrote:

    > In <6APCd.13759$yW5.3181@fed1read02> on Wed, 05 Jan 2005 02:46:26 -0800,
    > "Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote:
    >

    >>John Navas wrote:
    >

    >> Are you running MindTerm on the phone, or, instead, on a computer,
    >>using the phone as a bona-fide modem?
    >

    > I'm running MindTerm on a notebook computer, connected to the phone over
    > Bluetooth, with the phone connected to the Internet by GPRS/EGPRS(EDGE).

    See, my situation is different. The applets are running on the phone;
    they need to be able to establish connections without going through the
    WAP gateway.

    Right now, I have "MEdia Works" and can browse using the phone's
    built-in browser, and use the phone's built-in e-mail client. But the
    midlets don't work.

    Idokorro specifically states: "A Data Acess Plan with access to a GPRS
    Data Internet Access Point. Note: A WAP Access Point won't work." In
    response to that, the guys over at Cingular tell me that that I have
    "MEdia Works" and that I can browse the web, which of course, isn't what
    I'm asking.

    What feature do I need to be able to do that? Is the "isp.cingular" (or
    whatever it is called nowdays) feature what I am looking for? How do I
    get Cingular ot add it? And how do I configure the phone for it?

    -n

    In <D6QCd.13925$yW5.6861@fed1read02> on Wed, 05 Jan 2005 03:23:15 -0800,
    "Nikolaos D. Bougalis" <nikb@webmaster.com> wrote:

    >John Navas wrote:

    >> I'm running MindTerm [SSH] on a notebook computer, connected to the phone over
    >> Bluetooth, with the phone connected to the Internet by GPRS/EGPRS(EDGE).
    >
    > See, my situation is different. The applets are running on the phone;
    >they need to be able to establish connections without going through the
    >WAP gateway.

    Then the problem must be in your apps or handset. The WAP gateway is just
    like any other gateway when the proper ports are being forwarded -- WAP isn't
    involved unless you are making a WAP connection.

    > Right now, I have "MEdia Works" and can browse using the phone's
    >built-in browser, and use the phone's built-in e-mail client.

    In other words, MEdia Works is working.

    >But the
    >midlets don't work.

    Thus the problem must be in your apps or handset.

    > Idokorro specifically states: "A Data Acess Plan with access to a GPRS
    >Data Internet Access Point. Note: A WAP Access Point won't work." In
    >response to that, the guys over at Cingular tell me that that I have
    >"MEdia Works" and that I can browse the web, which of course, isn't what
    >I'm asking.
    >
    > What feature do I need to be able to do that? Is the "isp.cingular" (or
    >whatever it is called nowdays) feature what I am looking for? How do I
    >get Cingular ot add it?

    Switch to a more expensive data plan (Wireless Internet Express).

    >And how do I configure the phone for it?

    See my webpages below.

Cingular Motorola Internet Service Providers