Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Questions on using Win8 Upgrade for Clean Install and such (Help)

Last response: in Windows 8
December 18, 2012 11:18:24 PM

Hello! I have been reading through this rather incredible guide on using Windows 8 Pro Upgrade as a means of doing a clean install. See the thing is, I am building a new gaming rig in a couple days and I want to put Windows 8 Pro 64bit on it.

The Guide - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/wind [...] pgrade.htm

The general idea is, buy the online Windows 8 Pro upgrade option from MS's website, run the program it gives you where it analyses your system then asks you if you want to Install now, or place onto a external media like DVD or USB drive for use later.
So you get Windows 8 onto a DVD or USB, receive your Product Key then go ahead and boot up the DVD/USB after the Splash screen where you can continue with your clean install by deleting partitions etc like a regular clean install.

My question is, if I buy this upgrade option and get the product key and mount Windows 8 onto a DVD using my OLD(current rig), can I boot this onto my brand new build that has no OS and still perform the install?

The purpose of this would be saving me from going through the hassle of installing Windows 7 onto my new rig only to purchase the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade then proceed deleting Windows 7 and moving forward with 8...

If anyone is curious, here's my next rig : http://www.ebuyer.com/lists/list/115605

Thank you in advance for any help.

EDIT : Apologies on the double thread post... I clicked submit and it said there was site maintenance so I tried again and it seems to have posted twice... Damn.
a b * Windows 8
December 18, 2012 11:21:55 PM

Hi :) 

Two things...

1, Its technically illegal...

2, I sell Gamers machines that we build in my shops and we wouldn't put 8 on for gaming if you paid me... at the moment 7 only as too many problems with 8 and various games..

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 18, 2012 11:22:05 PM

grrr duplicate post...site playing up again...apologies...
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2012 11:25:06 PM

Thanks for the reply... Is it really technically illegal? I have Windows 7, and I would be upgrading its just I am switching HDD's so I thought this would be quicker.

I am going to be using this build for about 4 years and sooner or later its likely Microsoft will release the next generation of DirectX which Win7 wont support so I think it'd be best to install Win8 sooner rather than later. I'd rather do a clean install than an upgrade install as its much safer and such. So far I haven't seen much problems from gamers except from the Sleeping Dogs high quality bug that's since been fixed.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 19, 2012 12:27:15 AM

Brett928S2 said:

Two things...

1, Its technically illegal...

2, I sell Gamers machines that we build in my shops and we wouldn't put 8 on for gaming if you paid me... at the moment 7 only as too many problems with 8 and various games..

Im a gamer and I have yet to see a hard core game that does not work with 8 would you please give more detail as what game does not work and I'll summit proof that the game will work.
So far everY game that you say does not work, I have it working with screen shot of the game. WHAT GAME DOES NOT WORK BETTER THAN 7 we need more proof of what your claiming. WE DON'T BELIEVE YOU UNLESS YOU GIVE CONCRETE PROOF OF YOUR INACCURATE CLAIMS
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 19, 2012 12:29:01 AM

gomerpile said:
Im a gamer and I have yet to see a hard core game that does not work with 8 would you please give more detail as what game does not work and I'll summit proof that the game will work.
So far everY game that you say does not work, I have it working with screen shot of the game. WHAT GAME DOES NOT WORK BETTER THAN 7 we need more proof of what your claiming. WE DON'T BELIEVE YOU UNLESS YOU GIVE CONCRETE PROOF OF YOUR INACCURATE CLAIMS

Lol...just read THIS FORUMS Gaming and Windows 8 section.... there are lots of games that either have bugs in 8 or are totally unplayable...

m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 19, 2012 12:46:10 AM

give an example just one, I have most top game running no problems, give me any one game that does not work Example please not just hearsay. I'm not talking about a game developed for dos or basic
m
l
December 19, 2012 12:25:22 PM

gomerpile said:
give an example just one, I have most top game running no problems, give me any one game that does not work Example please not just hearsay. I'm not talking about a game developed for dos or basic

Quote:
We only have benchmark results for Sleeping Dogs under Windows 7. Our testing employs the High detail preset. But when we applied this to our Windows 8-based configuration, much of the in-game art simply disappeared, rendering the title unplayable.

Quote:
Sleeping Dogs can be played under Windows 8 if you're willing to drop to the Medium detail level, though. Here's how the same scene looks with the quality preset one notch down. The artwork is suddenly visible.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-pe...

Note: Please don't abuse moderator report function, gomerpile.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 19, 2012 1:45:28 PM

sleeping dog run fine for me in win 8 I currenty run 3 different computers, tried them on all computers and I will post a video of the performance over 7 with visual difference on all systems.

You need to go to game graphic options in nvidia card and turn down some features for that game profile, or you get over rendering

systems are I3 with asus 520gts, dell 15, nvidia 560, msi p55/80 3way sli superclocked, running 3 nvidias gtx650 on an i7. Sleeping dog runs perfectly on all with no rendering issues when game profiles are tuned down. Really its the one misreporting issues when there are no results to the problem they are claiming.
m
l

Best solution

December 19, 2012 1:59:34 PM

Ok, guys, it isn’t illegal and MS knows it, but still advertises it because if everyone understood upgrade vs full version, no one would ever buy the full version.

An “upgrade” version of any software build assumes that you have an old OS on the hard drive. It builds on that old version, allowing you to keep your files, but it can’t be limited to that. What if the OS becomes corrupted and must be replaced? Are people who upgrade SOL? Nope. I have five seven licenses and all are upgrades. From time to time my kids do something silly so I have to re-image the machine. I use the upgrade version of the software to do this.

You can, quite easily, load an upgrade version of seven, eight or whatever to a clean hard drive, or delete all sectors and reformat the drive during setup, which creates a clean drive.

The only difference is that after your setup, you’ll have to wait a bit longer for the upgrade version to download and install all the updates to your system. With a 5M connection it’ll take a day or so with Seven. Then you have… wait for it… a full up version of home premium or whatever version you paid for.
December 19, 2012 2:09:11 PM

^^ Thank you! So all I would need to do is run the verification software on my current build until it lets me mount the OS onto a DVD then I can insert it into my brand new build and install the OS onto my new SSD? Perfect!
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 19, 2012 3:31:43 PM

that texturing problem you are having is, you need to go into your Manage 3d settings and turn down some features, usually its Anisotropic filtering, antialiasing FXAA, and texturing filtering. This has been since 3d began. Before anyone goes and says, well the OS dont work because S.D is showing some artifacts, nobody has given fulll diagnostics to correct the issue, it is incorrect information to say the OS is not for gamers when a full report has not been diagnose.

WHY YOU NEED TO DO THIS, the hardware and OS is advanced for the game in DX features. So to right out and say games dont use 8 because there are problems with windows 8 is incorrect

EDIT: You only need to turn down the games that are displaying artifacts or texture problems. So one more issue solved
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 19, 2012 4:44:17 PM

For got to mention the pic are SD running perfectly. No issues after 2 hours playing.
m
l
December 19, 2012 5:47:11 PM

Best answer selected by CloudAC.
m
l
December 19, 2012 6:31:51 PM

CloudAC said:
^^ Thank you! So all I would need to do is run the verification software on my current build until it lets me mount the OS onto a DVD then I can insert it into my brand new build and install the OS onto my new SSD? Perfect!

By the sound of it, from your first post and the one I quote, it seems you have two PCs, your old and a newly build, and you are going to install Windows 8 upgrade on the new using the "product key" on the old PC, have to agree that this is not legal.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 19, 2012 7:18:22 PM

groundrat said:
Ok, guys, it isn’t illegal and MS knows it, but still advertises it because if everyone understood upgrade vs full version, no one would ever buy the full version.

An “upgrade” version of any software build assumes that you have an old OS on the hard drive. It builds on that old version, allowing you to keep your files, but it can’t be limited to that. What if the OS becomes corrupted and must be replaced? Are people who upgrade SOL? Nope. I have five seven licenses and all are upgrades. From time to time my kids do something silly so I have to re-image the machine. I use the upgrade version of the software to do this.

You can, quite easily, load an upgrade version of seven, eight or whatever to a clean hard drive, or delete all sectors and reformat the drive during setup, which creates a clean drive.

The only difference is that after your setup, you’ll have to wait a bit longer for the upgrade version to download and install all the updates to your system. With a 5M connection it’ll take a day or so with Seven. Then you have… wait for it… a full up version of home premium or whatever version you paid for.

Upgrade, then use acronis to clone the disk, take out the disk, and put in your spare comptuer, go active, buy new key, your set to go, with new version of what ever the clone was.

btw f8,f9 keys do work, one need to set the boot options to diagnostic

EDIT: I'm glad we have a quality answer rather then someone that just says install win 7. I do know what is going on perfectly. People are trying to distract buyer because they are pissed of windows 8. The think they have lost control of the customizing of the UI. IN fact your wrong.
m
l
December 19, 2012 8:07:14 PM

lothdk said:
By the sound of it, from your first post and the one I quote, it seems you have two PCs, your old and a newly build, and you are going to install Windows 8 upgrade on the new using the "product key" on the old PC, have to agree that this is not legal.

Okay, lets say I just took my old HDD and put it into my new build. Still illegal? I mean, a lot of the stuff I am using on my old HDD is moving onto my 1TB hdd since it is a SATA-III and my old is a SATA-II. And I want my OS on my SSD so I can have faster boot times... and I can't just copy and paste Windows 7 onto my SSD from my old HDD...
m
l
December 19, 2012 8:18:17 PM

CloudAC said:
Okay, lets say I just took my old HDD and put it into my new build. Still illegal? I mean, a lot of the stuff I am using on my old HDD is moving onto my 1TB hdd since it is a SATA-III and my old is a SATA-II. And I want my OS on my SSD so I can have faster boot times... and I can't just copy and paste Windows 7 onto my SSD from my old HDD...

If the OS that is installed on your old is OEM, then yes, as it is tied to the motherboard of your old build.
m
l
December 19, 2012 9:00:03 PM

Im guessing mine is retail since I used it to upgrade from Vista and OEM's can not do that.

I was just trying to save myself some hassle of installing Windows 7 onto my new build just to go through the process of upgrading it. Im gonna have to disagree it is illegal, because the point of Retail Windows 7 is the ability to install it on multiple machines (but not all at the same time).

I am no longer going to be using this build, therefore it is 100% fine to install it on my new build. At the end of the day, I am paying for Windows 7 and I am paying for Windows 8. I was just curious if I could just clean install 8 without having to install 7 all over again for no point. I shouldn't have to buy a full copy of Windows 8 when it should be an upgrade. I really was not expecting to get into this whole legality issue for such a simple question... but thank you anyway.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 19, 2012 10:44:58 PM

amdfangirl said:
http://media.bestofmicro.com/7/K/357968/original/SleepingDogs.png

Quote:
We only have benchmark results for Sleeping Dogs under Windows 7. Our testing employs the High detail preset. But when we applied this to our Windows 8-based configuration, much of the in-game art simply disappeared, rendering the title unplayable.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/7/S/357976/original/Sleeping-Dogs-HIGH.jpg

Quote:
Sleeping Dogs can be played under Windows 8 if you're willing to drop to the Medium detail level, though. Here's how the same scene looks with the quality preset one notch down. The artwork is suddenly visible.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/7/T/357977/original/Sleeping-Dogs-MED.jpg

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-pe...

Note: Please don't abuse moderator report function, gomerpile.

I have pics showing full quality of SD. You do not need to crank the visual detail in global rendering of the in game visual. The only thing you need to do is go into the hardware profile for nvidia or whatever and customize the antilasing.
m
l
December 20, 2012 12:00:28 AM

This topic has been closed by Amdfangirl
m
l
!