Video Card

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
I have a Compaq SR1519SX which I completely reformatted the HD and loaded Windows XP Home No problem. Last month I loaded Windows Vista Premium and find that basically I am having no problems, with the exception of one minor thing.
The Motherboard has a on board video card, which I replaced with a 256MB AGP Video card. No problems with XP after I disabled the on board card, but with Vista, I disable the on board card, and the next time I start the computer, Vista recognizes the on board card and reinstalls the driver. Then every time I start the computer, a little bubble comes up in the bottom right hand corner of my screen saying that I may have an incompatibility issue with my video card. I phoned Microsoft, and they suggested that I disable the video card through the BIOS, but I found out that you can't do that with this particular mother board. Sucks!
Has this happened to anyone else?
By the way, if you buy a copy of Windows Vista whatever from a store and not the OEM versions, you will get a 90 day support from Microsoft for free. You can take advantage of this for as many times as you want. I intend to use it as much as possible.

mpjesse

Splendid
If there's no BIOS setting to disable the on-board video, there might be a jumper on the motherboard itself. Crack open the case and scour the motherboard for a "disable video" jumper (or something similarily worded). It's worth a shot.

Oh... and one question:

Is Vista using the new video card? If so, just go into device mangler and disable the on board video device. That should prevent the stupid bubble message upon boot.

Pata

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2001
I will check out the mother board to see about the jumper. I did disable the on board in Windows Vista, but every time I restart, Vista sees it again and reinstalls the driver.

Viceras

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
I had an issue, Vista gave my system (see sig) a 1 in Aero and GFX so immediately I thought WTF? after digging about I found that for vista to work with DirectX 9 cards you need to download and install .NET Framework 1.1 before you download and install your Video Cards Vista Driver.

If you download and install the driver without .NET Framework 1.1 it wont recognised your GFX Card.