Your question

Right clicking on any video file causes the screen to blank

Tags:
  • Video
  • Windows XP
  • Product
Last response: in Windows XP
February 17, 2007 12:30:06 PM

Right clicking on any video file causes the screen to blank/black for a portion of a second, but when it comes back the correct menu is open from the right click. Everything works perfect on the PC, but this bugs me to no end.

XP Pro
Biostar Tforce
AMD Opty 165
1.5 gb DDR PC400
Samsung 160gb SATA

I'm also using this KVM switch
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Come to think of it, the blank/black screen I'm talking about looks exactly like when I switch between PC's using the KVM. But only one of the PCs has this quirk.

More about : clicking video file screen blank

February 20, 2007 1:58:12 PM

Have you tried disconnecting your KVM to see if the problem still exists?

Also, have you tried a different driver for your video card?

I used to use a switch that allowed me to use the same mouse and keyboard for 2 different computers (over ethernet) and that would cause windows 2000 to pause during boot up. You just had to hit the space bar to continue with the boot process, but if you didn't, it would just sit there forever as far as I could tell.
March 13, 2007 5:38:14 AM

This problem append with Nvidia Cards that has a TV out and are connected to a CRT monitor. The card scans the port to see if you have a TV connected. When you right click on the video file, you see a "play on my" where you will have the choice between "analog monitor" or "TV" or something like that. The flicker appends so this menu can be filled correctly.

The solution is to remove this shell extention, here's the solution from an Nvidia forum:

Quote:
Just search for "PlayOnMyTV" in the registry and you will find some entries under "shellex" (shell extension). These entries contain an identifier, {FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516} in my case, I'm not sure if this identifier is static or created dynamically, so in your registry, it might be another number. Now copy the identifier and search for it in the registry; delete every occurence when it's connected to video-file formats (.avi, .mpg, .mpeg and so on) and afterwards the "PlayOnMyTV"-shellextensions.
Related resources
March 14, 2007 10:06:59 PM

Thanks Mike!
March 22, 2007 9:49:55 AM

Quote:
This problem append with Nvidia Cards that has a TV out and are connected to a CRT monitor. The card scans the port to see if you have a TV connected. When you right click on the video file, you see a "play on my" where you will have the choice between "analog monitor" or "TV" or something like that. The flicker appends so this menu can be filled correctly.

The solution is to remove this shell extention, here's the solution from an Nvidia forum:

Just search for "PlayOnMyTV" in the registry and you will find some entries under "shellex" (shell extension). These entries contain an identifier, {FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516} in my case, I'm not sure if this identifier is static or created dynamically, so in your registry, it might be another number. Now copy the identifier and search for it in the registry; delete every occurence when it's connected to video-file formats (.avi, .mpg, .mpeg and so on) and afterwards the "PlayOnMyTV"-shellextensions.

You are a champ! That little flicker has been driving me slowly, but steadily insane for a while now
November 5, 2008 10:19:13 AM

Exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks a million
Anonymous
August 31, 2009 6:14:40 PM

THANK YOUUU

the soft ShellExView Works perfectly for me

THNX A LOT!!
!