Overclocking help?

ajramos26

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
I have a P5L-VM 1394 motherboard and an E6400, 2 gigs of ram corsair 667.
I'm starting to think that i should've bought a better motherboard after reading some reviews.

My question is if this motherboard is able to overclock, and if so how much? This is my first time OCing and I figured it would be best to ask before messing around.

Yeah the 945 Chipsets arent the greatest and the fact if has onboard graphics usually doesnt help much. If you are lucky you can get the FSB to 333 which would let you use a 1:1 and give you an effective overclock on the e6400 of 2.6GHz. You could hit that with a stock cooler easy. Is the MB new can you send it back? Or sell it off to someone? Just a thought. did you also need the onboard video? you could disable it and get a video card which might help out on the overclock.

ajramos26

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Thanks for the info. I don't need the video so hopefully that will help a little bit, and yes i just bought it so i could send it back for credit and get a better Overclocking motherboard

Thanks for the info. I don't need the video so hopefully that will help a little bit, and yes i just bought it so i could send it back for credit and get a better Overclocking motherboard

If you have the option of sending it back, look at the Gigabyte DS3 motherboards. They are based on the 965 intel chipset but are a single PCIe slot with basically just the essentials. However they are one of the best Overclocking motherboards you can get because of it. I've used 2 of these for friends and they are very easy to work with.