great digital tuner?

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 29, 2004 6:10:05 AM

Hi all,
Just wanted anyones opinion on the samsung SIR-T451 model. Has this
model been pretty reliable? or should I wait for the 5th gen to become
available? Or will it really make much of a difference? Thanks in
advance for any input!

More about : great digital tuner

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 6:10:06 AM

mikeeee wrote:

> Hi all,
> Just wanted anyones opinion on the samsung SIR-T451 model. Has this
> model been pretty reliable? or should I wait for the 5th gen to become
> available? Or will it really make much of a difference? Thanks in
> advance for any input!

I just received my Samsung T-451 4 days ago from One Call
($250+ship).

The Tuner's best feature is that it locks in on my local
Full Power ABC-HD Chan 23 instantly instead of 20 sec later...
The other local 6 Digital OTA Chans (5 HD & 1 SD) Chan lock in
just a hair faster on T-451 than on my Year+ old Sammy T-151....

The Remote for a T-151 or T-451 look different by run either Tuner.

The T-451 is smaller, lighter, & has less heat... Silver Case...

The T-451 has a slightly annoying Chan Display that is too bright.
Display also says HDTV for both HD & SD OTA reception lock.

The T-451 also scans QAM Cable Channels in 3 modes....
Chan 1 thru 125.. including a lot of Sub Channels....

I'm not sure that it found all the unencripted Cable Chans???

451 also adds a HDMI Cable out port on the back. T-451 Has 1080i,
720p, 480p, & 480i component Video switch... Same at T-151..

It's menus are identical to T-151 except the T-451 has nicer text.

I seem to believe there is little or no Audio Drop on T-451...
and since it locks OTA quicker... It's a better unit.

It does have the same quirk as T-151 in deselecting some Favorite
Digital channels frequently... but does not delete 'em...

And lastly it has a slightly improved Chan Signal Strength meter
using 10 bars on T-451 & 9 bars on the T-151 for full signal...

As a experiment... I may buy the Walmart Gen 5 tuner IF I have
any issue with trucks driving by my home causing pixelation.
My CM 3021 antenna 4 bay bow tie hangs from the TV room plant
and 'passes thru the brick wall' on the Tower side of the
house.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 1:08:43 PM

"mikeeee" <ritzoid@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Just wanted anyones opinion on the samsung SIR-T451 model. Has this
> model been pretty reliable? or should I wait for the 5th gen to become
> available? Or will it really make much of a difference? Thanks in
> advance for any input!

I bought a Samsung SIR-T451 from Crutchfield, and have been operating it for
a month. Here are some observations:
1. It has a very sensitive UHF section. I can get digital channels that
broadcast in UHF, whose analog counterparts do not even show up (on regular
analog TV without the tuner).
2. When a digital channel broadcasts more than one program simultaneously, I
can't dial up the particular program directly. That is, if I want to watch
channel 2-3, I have to dial up channel 2 and then operate the channel up
button until I get channel 2-3.
3. There is no built-in clock. Whatever time is displayed on the screen is
whatever the station transmits. Some stations do not keep their clocks set
correctly.
4. The tuner receives digital TV only, no analog NTSC. A minor issue, unless
you are using it with a monitor.
!