Sign in with
Your question

Tiny development system with external power supply

Last response: in Components
April 26, 2007 7:41:04 PM

I'm thinking about buying another computer to use pretty much solely for learning and experimenting with driver development and general programming. What I'm looking for is a tiny computer, which most importantly should be as quite as possible. Performance is not so much of an issue, and graphics not at all. Processor architecture is not so important either, although one of AMD's 64-bit processors would be fun.

Do you have any experience or recommendations on what to buy? I've been thinking about one of these tiny cases with external power supply and no fans, any opinions on those?
April 26, 2007 8:00:28 PM

Some of the SFF pc may meet your needs. But you need to look at there NOISE levels. Some get quite loud when the get loaded up. THG did a review around a years ago.
April 26, 2007 8:12:10 PM

I just rebuilt 2 Dell Ultra Small Form Factor computers for work, they were very quiet (except when I blocked the airflow to one of them) and they were loaded with P4's, so if you get one with a Core 2 or a Celeron, or an X2 they should run cooler and be even quieter.
April 26, 2007 8:47:35 PM

Normally is the F8 key, that give you an option. Requires you to hit the key during BIOS post. and before windows.
!