Wireless In ---> Ethernet Out

Hi -

I would look around in the forum to see if this question had already been answered, but I don't know the name of the thing I'm looking for or even if it exists, so I'll just ask here.

Basically, I need a device that will receive an 802.11g signal and put out the signal in an ethernet cable. So like, wireless in, ethernet out.

What are these things called so I can buy one?

3 answers Last reply
More about wireless ethernet
  1. Wireless Bridge.

  2. Thanks for the reply. I looked into wireless bridges and I'm not so sure it's what I want. A wireless bridge, from what I understand from the literature available, is designed to connected to wired networks with a wireless signal - to act as a wireless "bridge" between two distinct networks. However, I am only dealing with one network.

    Let me explain my exact situation to see if I can be a little more clear. I'm trying to help some neighbors out with their internet connection. The internet connection is DSL and comes in through the phone line on the top floor of their 2-story and basement house and goes into a modem that has a built in wireless access point and router. The router splits the signal into an ethernet signal that connects to the computer in that office, and a wireless signal that supposedly connects the rest of the house.

    On the first floor of the house, the internet signal is perfectly fine. But in the basement, it falters and is unusable, so something needs to be done. We decided to do the following.

    Put a device on the first floor (the floor that has wireless signal) that will receive the wireless signal that is emitted by the access point on the top floor of the house. This device will have ethernet cables running out of it, through the floor, and into the basement, which will connect to an access point that will emit a wireless signal for the basement.

    What is the name for a device that will do this?

    Also, how well would an ordinary wireless range extender (like the Linksys WRE54G 802.11g extender) work in this capacity?

    And lastly, the brand and model of the modem/wireless access point emitting the first signal is Westell VersaLink Model 327W. How can I tell if this will be compatible with the repeater or other device I choose to go with?

    Thanks sooo much for all your help,
  3. What you're looking for is a wireless bridge if you want to connect computer through a wired connection. You could try a range expander. I've used Linksys range expanders with a Linksys router. 802.11G is all supposed to work together.

Ask a new question

Read More

Connectivity Wireless Ethernet Card Wireless Networking