Catalyst Catastophe

FragasmAm2

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I recently installed an x1900 GT in a Vista 64 system. Everything was fine and dandy for 2 days. Then i start getting these random "Display Driver Not Responding" errors. (Catalyst 7.4) The screen would simply turn blue (color of my desktop) and everything else would continue to run, music etc. I would reboot start working and blam it happens again, it hasn't however happened in a game yet. Now i am on my second clean install of vista and it is happening again. (Vista Driver) Should i RMA the thing and get something else, or is this a known issue with a quick fix?

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Well, I can assure you that no probs with that driver and my x1900xt. However, my best guess is microsuck vista, which blows and like all other previous generations of Windows is buggy as hell and has had very little time spent on removing actual bugs. Don't think AMD isn't at fault here too, but I would say that the fault is 50/50. If microsoft had its way then they would be making all the hardware too!

human_error

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
I recently installed an x1900 GT in a Vista 64 system. Everything was fine and dandy for 2 days. Then i start getting these random "Display Driver Not Responding" errors. (Catalyst 7.4) The screen would simply turn blue (color of my desktop) and everything else would continue to run, music etc. I would reboot start working and blam it happens again, it hasn't however happened in a game yet. Now i am on my second clean install of vista and it is happening again. (Vista Driver) Should i RMA the thing and get something else, or is this a known issue with a quick fix?

I did have these issues with cat 7.3 but when i upgraded to 7.4 they went away - i do use xfire x1950xtx's so it could be a slight issue with the x1900. Don't whatever you do try 7.3, as that is very buggy, if you want to try a previous cat version try the 7.2's as they were not buggy at all.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
oh its a GT not XT. Herm, well I am not sure about 64 bit support but why not just use the driver alone and try something other than CCC to manage like ati tray tools and just the AMD released display driver. I don't know 64 bit windows is so pointless to use because there is little advantage as still, even with vista, nothing uses the 64 bit capabilities. It makes sense to just upgrade but as long as the largest body of people are still using 32 bit 64 bit is a waste of time as it is horribly supported and won't be adopted until the greater number uses 64 bit rather than 32. Thats my only idea for you even though thinking about it I'm sure its a driver issue. However, CCC is very picky about what it likes and sometimes can be buggy as I was using tray tools for the fan rev on my x1900xt because the stock fan speeds are screwed up and 70C is too hot for me for a card so I rather have it a little louder and colder than extremely hot but CCC was causing weird issues with tray tools and for some odd reason it caused my 3d mark score to be 1100 points low and when I just used the display driver and tray tools to do my configuring then it was perfect! CCC blows, period