AMD lets nVidia win

mpjesse

Splendid
I'm no doomsayer, but the truth of the matter at hand is undeniable.

The benchmarks for the 2900XTX are atrocious. AMD better figure out a better strategy for ATI's technology. There's no way AMD is going to be able to keep up wtih nVidia now in discreet graphics. Not only are they 6 months behind NV, their product isn't superior.

It's over for AMD/ATI in discreet graphics. And a sad day it is.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I wouldn't completely write them off just yet. Yes, the performance of the X2900XTX is inferior, but I (ironically), see hope in the fact that it is inferior not only to the 8800GTX, but also to its little bro the X2900XT. They might release a product that's slower than its competitor, but they won't release if its slower than its own sibling. Probably some bugs to work out, but I'm sure when it hits the market, it will be faster than it is now.

On the bright side, the X2900XT is faster than the 8800GTS. I'm sure at one point in its production it wasn't.

BGP_Spook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Even if the benchmarks seen recently are true and the 2900XTX is inferior to the 8800GTX then all is not lost.

Keep in mind is the performance hole in the nVidia line.

Most of the press about video cards is focused on the top models.
However, far and way the most of the money is spent on the midrange cards as most consummers can not justify spending $400 and up on a video card.

We have yet to see how the 2600's will perform and until we do I will not count AMD/ATI(or DAAMIT!) as having "...let nVidia win."

Of course it is completely possible all of AMD/ATI's new offerings will suck. 8O

If that is the case then they have indeed let nVidia win and deserve to suffer horribly.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
The 8800 series has had 6 months worth of driver updates, give it a chance, i think the 2900GTX on release will make bits of the 8800GTX( then be removed from the top again by the 8800 Ultra ), im really hoping so anyway because we need the competition, there will be some business heads in ATI/AMD that will make sure the XTX is at least as good as the GTX, im guessing this is why its been delayed until Q3

Also theyre only DX9 games, DX10 performance will be the critical test

However, i dont like the looks of this - http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=703&Itemid=1

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
i'm pretty sad about all of this. my bubble seems completely and totally busted. :cry:

maybe the midrange cards will magically be about as good as the 2900s, only like $200 cheaper... yeah. i'll keep on dreaming.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
i'm pretty sad about all of this. my bubble seems completely and totally busted. :cry:

maybe the midrange cards will magically be about as good as the 2900s, only like $200 cheaper... yeah. i'll keep on dreaming.

I´d be happy if they are better than the 8600 series and just a little cheaper. That would really save AMD.

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
i think the 2900GTX on release will make bits of the 8800GTX

Is that a new ATI model or has hell frozen over and ATI and nVidia have collaborated on a new card. :lol:

lol, my bad, next thing i know it will be in someones sig, lmao, too many fecking postfix types

Slobogob - thats true, but they based it on GDDR4 which might have been a bad idea due to the cost of that ram and probably doesnt provide much of a performance gain

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Slobogob - thats true, but they based it on GDDR4 which might have been a bad idea due to the cost of that ram and probably doesnt provide much of a performance gain

You´re probably right but somehow i believe that once the card makes it to market GDDR4 will have dropped significantly in price. It´s still a long time till may 14th... 2008... or so... :lol:

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
You´re probably right but somehow i believe that once the card makes it to market GDDR4 will have dropped significantly in price. It´s still a long time till may 14th... 2008... or so... :lol:
lol, thats true, we'll probably have flying cars by the time it comes out, it might have been a very bad gamble by AMD/ATI as i cant remember where i read it but apparently a lot of memory manufacturers are skipping GDDR4 altogether and going with GDDR5 as their next release, this will keep the ram price stupidly high

I still have to say though, my x850pro is far superior in gfx quality than my 7800gtx( very apparent in BF2 Warlord map, fountain at map start is angular on the 7800 but smooth on the x850 pro )

kaleb_zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2005

The benchmarks for the 2900XTX are atrocious. AMD better figure out a better strategy for ATI's technology. There's no way AMD is going to be able to keep up wtih nVidia now in discreet graphics. Not only are they 6 months behind NV, their product isn't superior.

Which benchmarks are you talking about? Linky please someone..

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
IMHO graphics quality of ATI cards have always been better. We'll see with the new one even if it doesn't end up as powerful as the 8800GTX. What a shame for ATI though they've almost always trailed Nvidia in pure processing muscle. This time, they were going to smoke Nvidia and it looks like that's not going to happen.

But, the ATI cards may be powerful enough anyway. The 8800GTX is overkill right now, so ATI does have some time to catch up.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
IMHO graphics quality of ATI cards have always been better. We'll see with the new one even if it doesn't end up as powerful as the 8800GTX. What a shame for ATI though they've almost always trailed Nvidia in pure processing muscle. This time, they were going to smoke Nvidia and it looks like that's not going to happen.

But, the ATI cards may be powerful enough anyway. The 8800GTX is overkill right now, so ATI does have some time to catch up.

its only overkill until the dx10 for which it was designed is put to good use in games.[/quote]

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Youre right, Nvidia is pure rough grunt whereas ATI cards simply produce better pictures( definately doesnt go for the old FX5200 i had though, ewwww ), i just hope it forces nvidia to reduce the price of the 8800GTX :), if i could pick up one of those babies for just a little more than a 2900XT id be well happy

its only overkill until the dx10 for which it was designed is put to good use in games.
I agree( must be the beers, im agreeing with everyobe tonight 8O ), Crysis will be a game that requires an 8800GTX

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah, but by the time Crysis comes out, ATI will have had a chance to respond with an upgraded card...I said a chance.

On a side note, I hope Crysis doesn't end up being another show-stopping, eye candy game with an uninspiring story as they all seem to be of late.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Yeah, but by the time Crysis comes out, ATI will have had a chance to respond with an upgraded card...I said a chance.

On a side note, I hope Crysis doesn't end up being another show-stopping, eye candy game with an uninspiring story as they all seem to be of late.

Eye candy, physics, nice guns - that's it. I mean, read the trailer:

Earth, 2019: A colossal asteroid crashes down to Earth.

The North Korean Government quickly seals off the island chain, claiming the mysteries of the asteroid for themselves. The United States responds by dispatching an elite team of Delta Force Operators to recon the situation and report back to the Pentagon. Amid rising tensions between the US and North Koreans, the asteroid suddenly bursts open, revealing a massive, 2km high alien ship. The ship generates an immense force sphere, freezing a vast portion of the island and drastically altering the global weather system. The invasion of Earth has begun.

The two rival nations unite to stop the aliens and save mankind. The newly formed alliance fights epic battles against the marauding Aliens. With hope rapidly fading, the player must lead a crack squad through lush tropical jungle, harsh frozen landscapes, and finally into the heart of the alien ship itself for the ultimate Zero G encounter with the aliens.

Won't stop me buying this one though.

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah, that's pretty cool but with the promises Oblivion and STALKER made, I'm pretty skeptical about this statement by the devs of Crysis.
"Emergent gameplay; actions taken in the game affect future outcomes giving each player a unique experience."

I hope it's as great as advertised, because if it is, I'm disappearing from the regular world for a while. :lol:

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
i think i heard something about some multiplayer mode in which you played like a "conquest" or something, where you went out and captured factories and militarized everything and competed over a period of like 10 simulated days or something... not sure. AH, nevermind. see "Multiplayer" section here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis#Multiplayer

that makes the game sound like a little more than pretty moving pictures, although i don't expect it to be another Half-Life 2 or anything. when is it due out, anyway? you really think that ATI will release another card between now and then, PongRules? i mean i hope they can, but isn't it kinda soon?

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Yeah, that's pretty cool but with the promises Oblivion and STALKER made, I'm pretty skeptical about this statement by the devs of Crysis.
"Emergent gameplay; actions taken in the game affect future outcomes giving each player a unique experience."

I hope it's as great as advertised, because if it is, I'm disappearing from the regular world for a while. :lol:
Yeah, oblivion was very very disappointing, i only ever liked the final fantasy RPG's, tried Oblivion and just thought, how stupid is it that i work on leveling up and all the nastys just become more powerful, whats the point?

I had a fair idea Stalker would be disappointing( i havnt played it yet though so im only going on intuition ) but mainly cos it had too many years development and too many dev teams

I really dont care if about story or any of that rubbish for Crysis, the gameplay sounds amazing, i absolutely love the idea of the suit and being able to configure it to be super strength or speed depending on the situation( as long as its very quick and easy to change ), and all the physics and realism and the new team play stuff they're supposed to have added should make it an absolutely brilliant MP game

BF2 has no story, but it is the only game that ive ever played for 400+ hours and counting, its the WoW for sane actioners :)

lordaardvark2 - its due september, im keeping my eyes wide open for a beta and checking http://incrysis.com/forums/viewforum.php?id=3 once or twice a week, no news so far on beta

King-Of-Kings

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
lol, its funny cause a bunch of people waited forever for it to come out.

I just bought a GTS like last winter. Who cares if you get 3 more FPS, just buy the card already. 8)

Moonskin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007

I agree ... although it's sad that the 2900XTX is such a disaster … as long as their low-end and mid-end level stuff is competitive (price and performance) than maybe is not such a bad after all.