Someone Make This Mish, Please AMOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Cant fookin BELIEVE that the new Google Beta Groups
prevents me from replying to Morts original thread
query about Fedayeen Insurgent add ons, even though
it's less than a month old!!!

Grrrrrrrrrr!

Anyway.

Mish, Please:

(Make me the one wearing the Dapper Dish Dash!)

Saturday, April 2 - The Iraqi guerrilla-terrorist onslaught on the US
Marine base guarding Abu Ghraib prison on the western outskirts of
Baghdad.

Military experts agree that this operation was the best-planned, most
extensive and cannily combined Iraqi rebels have staged in two years of
guerrilla warfare. Had it succeeded, more than 2,000 jailed Iraqi
insurgents and terrorists would have made their escape.

The attack began at 6 am. Creeping through the concealing urban
landscape surrounding camp and prison, the raiders were undetected from
the base until they were close enough to open up with a hellish hail of
81-mm and 120-mm mortars. The din muffled the slow advance of the first
bomb car until it drew to a halt opposite the American positions. The
vehicle then drew US fire and blew up. It was apparently a decoy to
draw the Americans' attention and firepower away from the second bomb
car that was speeding in from the opposite direction. Its function was
to breach the prison's outer wall. However, American gunfire
triggered a second explosion when the vehicle was still short of its
target. While this was going on, two guerrilla columns, 20-30-strong,
were advancing shooting on the American camp - one from the direction
of Falluja in the east and the second from the south.

The combined fire and explosive power of the storming units and their
bomb cars were so intense that the Marines guarding the camp's
southern wing were forced to retreat. It was the first time in the
two-year Iraq war that US forces fell back in face to face combat with
Iraqi insurgents. The rebels were only held back from bursting into the
US facility by the timely arrival of American reinforcements that
called up Apache gun-ships and artillery.

The battle raged fiercely for three hours.

Sources comment that the Iraqi guerrillas withdrew from the battle zone
in exemplarily orderly fashion despite the gunfire that aimed at
pinning them down. Dead and wounded were gathered and removed to
medical aid stations that must have been set up in advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about someone make mish amoooooooooooot
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Rizla Ranger (UK) wrote:
    > Cant fookin BELIEVE that the new Google Beta Groups
    > prevents me from replying to Morts original thread
    > query about Fedayeen Insurgent add ons, even though
    > it's less than a month old!!!
    >
    > Grrrrrrrrrr!
    >

    > Anyway.
    >
    > Mish, Please:
    >
    > (Make me the one wearing the Dapper Dish Dash!)

    I got the fun lovin' Ayrab fighter/crazed Afghan rebel addons I was after
    Trying to write a 'Carry On Up The Khyber' Mish to use 'em
    I'll save the opium poppy warlord 'Khazi of Kalabar' slot just for you
    Riz :-)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    seems possible to do in OFP
    you could have triggers for both car bombs from script for dropping bombs.
    Just set the altitude very low and next to a wall. If the car doesn't make
    the trigger area you won't get a big hole in the wall. Next trick would be
    the setup of building this place or a location of the nearly the same
    layout. Almost think that rebuilding the location would be better to get it
    exactly. You would also have to set a trigger that goes off once the wall
    has blown. So the Iraq troops try to run out and escape all the while gun
    fire going on. Oh lets not forget the mortar fire also, need to set a random
    trigger for that over the base...
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Here's another Amoot Mish for someone to make!!

    Is there an OFP fire engine?

    LOL!

    The Grim Reaper, Riding a Firetruck in Iraq
    By Steve Fainaru
    Washington Post Foreign Service
    Tuesday, April 19, 2005

    HUSAYBAH, Iraq -- Marine Lance Cpl. Joshua Butler shook himself from
    the rubble of a suicide truck bombing. He staggered to the ledge of his
    three-story guard tower and stared into a cloud of white smoke.

    Butler, 21, of Altoona, Pa., was temporarily deafened by the blast, but
    he recalled what came next with cinematic clarity. The white smoke
    parted to reveal a clean red fire engine. It sped past a mural bidding
    travelers "Goodbye From Free Iraq" and hurtled directly toward Butler,
    who shot at the fire engine until it exploded about 40 yards away from
    him.

    This true-life nightmare occurred on Monday last week. The attack on
    this remote Marine outpost abutting the Syrian border caused only minor
    injuries, but it signaled a dramatic change in the methods of the
    insurgents, who have staged mostly guerrilla-style hit-and-run attacks
    against the U.S. military for two years.

    In interviews and in after-action reports, Marines who successfully
    defended the base that morning described a sophisticated assault that
    involved 50 to 100 insurgents.

    The insurgents distracted Marine guards with well-aimed mortars and
    rocket-propelled grenades, then launched three successive suicide
    bombing strikes in an attempt to blow up the base and overrun it. The
    fire engine had a driver, a spotter and a bulletproof windshield, and
    was packed with dozens of propane tanks filled with explosives. The
    blast rained jagged red shrapnel for more than a minute, and unhinged
    doors and cracked the foundation of buildings well inside the Marine
    base.

    The attack "demonstrates an extremely mature and capable insurgency,"
    said Maj. John Reed, executive officer for the 3rd Battalion, 2nd
    Marine Regiment, which commands U.S. troops here. "It showed its
    ability to mass a very complex attack very quickly."

    The attack, along with a similar assault on April 2 against the
    U.S.-run Abu Ghraib prison in which 44 American soldiers were wounded,
    presents a new challenge for the U.S. military, which is seeking to
    wear down the insurgency before transferring security responsibilities
    to U.S.-trained Iraqi forces. American commanders have expressed
    optimism that the insurgents, while far from defeated, have been
    significantly degraded as a fighting force; they said attacks have been
    less frequent and less effective since Iraq's Jan. 30 elections.

    The number of attacks each day in cities such as Baghdad and Mosul has
    dropped by as much as 50 percent. Until recently, those attacks had
    largely been with roadside bombs and suicide car bombs aimed at
    platoons of U.S. military vehicles that conduct hundreds of patrols
    each day.

    U.S. commanders said they interpreted the attack here as a desperate
    attempt by insurgents to reenergize the conflict. "I think they're
    losing, so they're looking at the big attacks to gain some momentum
    back," said Marine Capt. Frank Diorio, commander of India Company at
    Camp Gannon, the Marine base near the city of Qaim on the border with
    Syria. "I give them credit it for it; they're looking for a big score.
    We're going to see this a lot more. But now we know so we can address
    it."

    Husaybah is a dusty smuggling hub in the barren reaches of western
    Iraq, a desert moonscape of dirt and rocks, its visibility frequently
    obscured by sandstorms. Camp Gannon is situated in the city's northwest
    corner.

    The base's northern perimeter is the Syrian border, marked by a
    10-foot-tall barrier of sand bags and razor wire. To the south and east
    are low-slung concrete houses and unpaved streets, neighborhoods so
    hostile the Marines cannot venture into the city without being
    attacked. The austere base is shelled so frequently the Marines never
    leave their barracks without helmets and armored vests, even when
    visiting the urinals -- mortar tubes hammered into the ground.

    Opening Salvo

    The battle here began around 8:15 a.m., shortly after India Company's
    2nd Platoon set up for guard duty on the base's eastern perimeter. Four
    mortar rounds overshot the base and landed about 300 yards inside
    Syrian territory, said Cpl. Roy Mitros, the senior Marine on guard, who
    climbed into a tower to register where they landed.

    Inside Post 8, a bunker on the southeast corner of the base, Lance Cpl.
    Joe Lampe, 22, of Lacey Township, N.J., and Cpl. Anthony Fink, 21, of
    Columbus, Ohio, began to receive reports that other guard positions
    were taking sporadic fire. Then, at 8:25 a.m., a rocket-propelled
    grenade slammed into their bunker.

    Lampe and Fink were unharmed, but the bunker filled with dust from
    dozens of protective sandbags. "You couldn't see like an inch in front
    of us," Lampe said. "It's like it just went 'whoof,' and then it was
    just dust collapsing all around us."

    Moments later, Lance Cpl. Diego Naranja, 22, of the New York City
    borough of Queens, radioed from a guard tower just north of Post 8 that
    he had spotted a white dump truck moving north on a one-lane road the
    U.S. military calls West End. "But as soon as he called it in, it was
    like, Blam!" Lampe said. "That's when we got hit by another blast. That
    one knocked us to the ground."

    Fink said he was convinced that the insurgents concentrated fire on
    Post 8 as a diversion. "There's no doubt in my mind," he said. "They
    knew that was the closest post to them. If they could keep us down,
    then they could pull the [explosives-laden vehicles] out onto the
    road." Naranja said he managed to shoot several rounds at the dump
    truck but it soon disappeared.

    The dump truck reached a fork, then turned west. It traveled beneath
    four concrete arches and sped toward the base, located next to the
    border crossing. The U.S. military closed the border for security
    reasons before the January elections and has not reopened it. The area
    is now a ghost town of abandoned customs and insurance houses and a
    30-foot concrete mural painted with the Iraqi flag.

    The dump truck headed directly toward Butler, who was standing guard
    under camouflage netting in Tower 2. Butler opened fire, and the truck
    veered left, ramming a cluster of trucks the Marines had wired together
    to block access to the base entrance. The dump truck then exploded,
    sending Butler flying into the tower's ledge as concrete debris rained
    on him.

    Camp Gannon was now under full-scale attack. Mortars and rockets pelted
    the base from the south and east as most of the Marines, still in bed,
    scrambled toward the safety of bunkers.

    About 45 seconds after the dump truck exploded, its purpose became
    clear: It was to serve as a battering ram to clear the base entrance
    for the fire engine.

    The firetruck had become something of a phantom for India Company. The
    Marines had heard that insurgents might use one as a suicide bomb. For
    two months, they had been warned by commanders to be on the lookout for
    a firetruck, but it had never been seen and some Marines had concluded
    it wasn't real.

    Now, the fire engine was roaring north along the West End. "When I seen
    it, my heart stopped," said Lance Cpl. Sebastian Lankiewicz, 20, also
    of Queens. "It was like I was looking at the Grim Reaper himself coming
    down freakin' West End."

    The fire engine followed the same route the dump truck had taken,
    turning left at the fork, going beneath the arches and roaring toward
    the entrance to the base. Butler, who had staggered to his feet, could
    hear it before he could see it, the whining diesel engine getting
    louder behind a cloud of smoke.

    "It was like a movie," he said. "It reminded me of 'Lethal Weapon.' The
    smoke was all there and then he just rolled through it, just like in
    the movie." Smoke "just rolled off the windows. I couldn't believe what
    was happening."

    Suddenly it was upon him, and Butler could see inside the vehicle. "It
    had two individuals in it," he said. "They were dressed in all black,
    and their faces were veiled and covered. I could see the slits of their
    eyes."

    Butler fired approximately 100 rounds at the firetruck. Like the dump
    truck, it turned left just before reaching the entrance. Butler said he
    thought the driver was either distracted by the withering fire or was
    unable to locate the entrance.

    The sound of the explosion was "really unexplainable, just the noise
    and the violence about it," said Diorio, the company commander.
    Although the fire engine had failed to penetrate the entrance, "they
    were basically inside our perimeter," he said. The blast was so loud,
    Diorio feared the worst.

    Slowly the reports began to filter in over the platoon network.

    "Second platoon all accounted for."

    "Third platoon all accounted for."

    "Fourth platoon all accounted for."

    "Thank you, Lord," Diorio whispered to himself.

    "They were definitely close enough to cause a lot of damage," he said.
    "It was where they detonated it: It was a miracle. If I had to pick a
    place for them to detonate a firetruck full of explosives, if I had to
    pick one, I would have picked that place."

    'Welcome to Iraq'

    The vehicle exploded near the "Welcome to Iraq" mural, which absorbed
    some of the blast. So did a huge corrugated metal overhang that had
    provided shade for vehicles waiting in line at the border. It was
    obliterated, along with a low-slung blue-and-white building that also
    took some of the blast.

    Only three Marines were wounded, none seriously. A piece of shrapnel
    pierced Butler's plastic goggles but did not penetrate the helmet they
    were attached to.

    First Sgt. Don Brazeal, 39, of Riviera Beach, Md., was inside the
    company command post when the firetruck exploded. He had also feared
    the worst and rushed out to the base perimeter. "It's kind of a
    parental instinct that took over," he said. "A lot of these guys are
    young enough to be my sons. Right away I had a mental picture that my
    kids were not in a good way."

    Brazeal arrived at Post 8 to find Fink firing at about a dozen
    insurgents. They were shielded by a wall on the other side of the road.

    Brazeal grabbed a rocket launcher and climbed atop a dirt barrier,
    exposing himself to enemy fire. He fired the rocket at the wall. Fink
    then did the same. Then the shooting stopped, they said.

    For nearly an hour, mortars and RPGs -- Marines estimated as many as 30
    -- pelted the base. The unit summoned F-18 fighter jets and Cobra
    helicopter gunships; the Cobras fired machine guns and Hellfire
    missiles at what an after-action report described as vehicles
    transporting weapons. The small-arms fire around the base subsided at
    9:30 a.m. but continued sporadically for nearly 10 hours.

    The Marines said 19 insurgents were killed and 15 were wounded during
    24 hours of fighting. An unknown number of civilians were also reported
    killed.

    This week, the city remained tense. The Marines believed they had
    scored a decisive victory, tempered only by the realization that they
    faced an adversary perhaps more sophisticated than they had known.

    "These guys knew what they were doing," said Lt. Ronnie Choe, 25, of
    Los Angeles, the battalion's assistant intelligence officer. "These
    weren't just random guys who decided: Hey let's do something."

Video Games