Sign in with
Your question

Are consumers blind? what is with the Wii?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2007 12:22:23 AM

One of my roomates just bought a Wii, and I connected it to my 52" HDTV. The same one my computer uses for a monitor. I connected up component cables, and set the console to 480p widescreen....

The graphics of Zelda TP, the best looking Wii release game, are BAD. REALLY bad. I remember Xbox 1 games looking far, far better. Twilight Princess might have graphics as good as Halo 1...with more pixelation.

I remember Halo 1...when was that? Christmas 2001. A long, long time ago. Another epoc in my personal life.

I know it isn't my TV, because I have an Xbox 360 connected to the other component port. Gears of War is pretty fantastic looking.

So I checked the Wii's hardware specs, wondering how it is going to fare in the ongoing console wars. After all, graphics aren't everything and maybe future games can do better.

The friggin thing has 88 megs of ram!!! WTF! That's not much more than the original xbox! It's CPU is also only marginally faster than the one on the original gamecube, with NO pixel shaders from the graphics chip. Nope, nothing.

Multicore CPU for innovate AI and more complex physics and gameplay? Uhh, nope.

DVD playback in the box? haha.

And the wii mote...while it might be new, it still isn't nearly as accurate as a mouse and has a really cheap speaker. Force feedback isn't any better than 360 controller.(remember, my TV is my computer so I can do direct comparisons...wii mote FAR less accurate)

Uggh. Looks to me like a waste of $250. For just $150 more, or $50 with the upcoming price-drop you can have a 360. 360 has vastly more power and games that show it off.

Heck, if you don't have $300-400, get a modded Xbox 1 or something. The Wii ain't a seventh generation console, it's a sixth generation. And those consoles (ps2, xbox) are better than the Wii.

More about : consumers blind wii

April 27, 2007 12:26:37 AM

true..but you have to note that this wasnt really aimed at hard core gamers..

wii was actually released to cater for the family fun factor....which i think they did pretty darn well. Its meant to be played with loads of people in the room who dont care what the graphics look like as long as the game is entertaining. I mean honestly...how many 50 year olds do you know that play on a ps3 or a xbox360? now how many can play the wii with family memebers?

My cousin has one, the only time he playes it is when everyone is at his place.

Also, the price range was very well placed and the release date couldnt have been better. People just lapped it up to fill out the list of presents.

so personally, even though i'm no fan of the nintendo wii, i must say they did a pretty good job on selling it.
April 27, 2007 12:34:04 AM

Yes the graphics are not up-to-date, but they will improve over the Zelda graphics at the moment because they just ported the gamecube version over and bolted on the controls (as well as mirroring the game so right-handed players can enjoy playing as the left-handed main character).

They are still not the best, but i play at the non-HD resolution as at least it has a higher resolution, only thing i lose is the progressive scanning which at the moment doesn't matter as the pixelation would bug me more.

The Wii is more of a fun console, just to pick up and have fun on, it's not meant to be the visual feast that high-end pc's and next gen consoles push out, as nintendo never got going in that race.
Related resources
April 27, 2007 1:22:58 AM

there used to be a cool quality in games...I can't remember what its called...wait its coming. GAMEPLAY! thats it. The wii is so much fun to play, and since no really good pc games have come out lately its all i've been playing. I love me some tanks in wiiplay!!
a c 171 U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 1:51:13 AM

I have a 3500+, 1GB of ram, and an x1800XT. I own FEAR, Farcry, Supreme Commander, CNC3, and other games. Do you care to guess what I play most often? My game of choice is Team Fortress Classic. If I want to change it up, I fire up Diablo2. These games are ancient, and don't require a computer anywhere near what I have. Why do I play these? The graphics might not be where other games I have are at, but the game play is the best. TFC is the best FPS as far as I care. Its the only game I've found that has seperate classes that mean something. The scout has a different amount of health, armor and speed then anyone else. It might not look as pretty, but it is more entertaining.
April 27, 2007 1:53:40 AM

The Wii is about fun, not high end specs.

If you don't get it, it's not the console for you, plain and simple...
April 27, 2007 1:57:14 AM

:lol:  you made me laugh
April 27, 2007 2:04:05 AM

The reason anyone on this forum would get the wii would be for Nintendo brand games, not for its graphics or hardware, so I have no idea why you would post this.

I personally bought it for the reason above; I love smash bros, zelda, and mario, where I have my PC for multiplayer and visually beautiful games, so it all works out.
April 27, 2007 2:09:23 AM

Quote:
Argh, DIE CONSOLE-BOY DIE !!!!!

Post in the proper forum

One would think this would be an obvious task, but clearly some people aren't up to it. :?

As for the actual post, you have no idea how the market works do you? The Wii will likely take the lead sometime later this year because of its beautifully crafted market niche. 360 and PS3 gamers are relatively hardcore (as compared to the average gamer), but the Wii is aimed at the casual gamer who just plays for fun now and then. If you can get the entire family into 1 room playing something together, then it is an easy sell. Family time is something that isn't taking presedence as much as it has in years past because of the disparity between generations (not that there wasn't one before).

My parents don't know a whole lot about computers, my sister couldn't careless what a USB port is, but would they sit down with my and play Mario Party or something on the Wii? Definitely. What used to be board games when I was a kid is rapidly evolving into something more involved and the Wii accomplishes that perfectly. The Wii was never meant to be high end graphics, never. What it was designed to do was be simple to operate and to rely on something I've thought should have been integrated a long time ago, movement. Watching my family, as well as prior girlfriends, play consoles was just painful. My sister would be playing a racing game and in a turn she would put her whole body into the turn as if it would help (of course I made fun of her being her brother and all), but it didn't.

Now that kind of movement does something. If she leaned in, she would naturally take the controller with her and on the Wii that would turn the car. With this type of controller it is much easier for the casual gamer to pick up because what they do naturally is integrated into gameplay. If you can't see that then you are missing the entire point of the Wii. The Wii was meant to for the casual gamer, family time, and small parties. The 360 and PS3 was meant to feed the ego's of the hardcore gamers demanding the most visually appealing worlds with the craziest gadgets on their new HDTV's.

Now with that in mind, think about the market potential. How big is the hardcore gamer market compared to the family fun and casual gamer market? The difference is phenomenal. To reacher the unit conut the 360 is, Nintendo will have to hit a market saturation of probably 10% of what the 360 has because the overall market for the Wii is that large.

So just chill out. If you don't like the Wii fine, but don't go bashing it because you don't understand its market niche.

I have a 360, Wii, and I am an avid PC gamer and I trully prefer my Wii over all of them. Granted I can't get Halo, or CNC3, or BF2142 on the Wii, so that is why I still use my PC for gaming.
April 27, 2007 2:12:31 AM

Do you really want to play this with realistic graphics?

Then shut up.
April 27, 2007 2:18:42 AM

Wii graphics aren't impressive because they didn't use the high-end components like PS3 or Xbox360. And Wii is not sold at a loss unlike PS3 or Xbox360. Also, Wii has simple, innovative controllers, which is contrary to the let's-add-1000-buttons-and-analog-joysticks-to-the-controller fad these days.

Nintendo is not going the same route as Sony or Microsoft because it's got no chance in hell to compete if it's playing by the same rules. They want to appeal to a broader audience by making fun games. They're not trying to impress the small hardcore group of teenagers and techies. Apparently, it's working since they're selling a lot of those Wiis.
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 2:45:21 AM

Here's the purpose of the Wii.
April 27, 2007 2:47:01 AM

Quote:
One of my roomates just bought a Wii, and I connected it to my 52" HDTV. The same one my computer uses for a monitor. I connected up component cables, and set the console to 480p widescreen....

The graphics of Zelda TP, the best looking Wii release game, are BAD. REALLY bad. I remember Xbox 1 games looking far, far better. Twilight Princess might have graphics as good as Halo 1...with more pixelation.

I remember Halo 1...when was that? Christmas 2001. A long, long time ago. Another epoc in my personal life.

I know it isn't my TV, because I have an Xbox 360 connected to the other component port. Gears of War is pretty fantastic looking.

So I checked the Wii's hardware specs, wondering how it is going to fare in the ongoing console wars. After all, graphics aren't everything and maybe future games can do better.

The friggin thing has 88 megs of ram!!! WTF! That's not much more than the original xbox! It's CPU is also only marginally faster than the one on the original gamecube, with NO pixel shaders from the graphics chip. Nope, nothing.

Multicore CPU for innovate AI and more complex physics and gameplay? Uhh, nope.

DVD playback in the box? haha.

And the wii mote...while it might be new, it still isn't nearly as accurate as a mouse and has a really cheap speaker. Force feedback isn't any better than 360 controller.(remember, my TV is my computer so I can do direct comparisons...wii mote FAR less accurate)

Uggh. Looks to me like a waste of $250. For just $150 more, or $50 with the upcoming price-drop you can have a 360. 360 has vastly more power and games that show it off.

Heck, if you don't have $300-400, get a modded Xbox 1 or something. The Wii ain't a seventh generation console, it's a sixth generation. And those consoles (ps2, xbox) are better than the Wii.

you dont neeed super hi-end graphics to HAVE FUN, thats the diference sire...
the fun factor is whats important for games.
and the WII's control originality is a good thing...
and a 52'' HDTV? lol, go buy a PS3 sir..
anything can look pixeled on that thing :|
April 27, 2007 2:48:03 AM

Are consumers blind? What is with people buying Xbox360's? Why don't they all go and get a PC as it's vastly more powerful and is able to do so much more. [/sarcasm]

If you really want to compare power, how about we compare my 8th generation GPU to the one in your 7th generation console. :lol: 
April 27, 2007 2:51:04 AM

Quote:
Here's the purpose of the Wii.

Ok, you said the same thing in 6 words that I attempted to explain in about 300, lol.

Well done.
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 3:00:34 AM

The Wii is the only current console I am interested in. Perfect family entertainment addition to those who already have decent gaming PC's.
April 27, 2007 3:16:04 AM

Quote:

Jeez, I thought they looked pretty good for console graphics. I think you're being a little harsh. You have to remember that most Nintendo games aren't meant to look photo-realistic and therefore don't need high end graphics. Plus, games like Resident Evil 4 proved that you can make a gorgeous looking title on inferior hardware.

I think Nintendo wants to win three crowds: gamers that still love Nintendo after all these years, and people that loved Nintendo back in the day of the NES and need an excuse to give gaming another shot, and finally, people that have no concept of video games but can easily pick up a remote controller and start flinging it around.

Sony and Microsoft are chasing the same goal: making console games that look at good as PC games with graphics that are as realistic as possible. Well, PC games are already doing that, so Nintendo is going in a different direction. Lile Zeroyb pointed out, they're focusing on gameplay and trying to appeal to a broader audience. It's not everyone's cup of tea, which is fine. I just think comparing it to the other consoles and PC gaming is kind of like apples and oranges.
April 27, 2007 3:29:19 AM

Quote:
Good response! you have it pegged right on the money. The Wii as much as Ive made fun of it, is geared for that market and its working. Those of us hardcore gamers out here will always be few and far between ( I own a 360,PS3 and high end PC). Its how I like it, if everyone had these ... there would be no hardcore gamers with their flashy systems to brag about to the masses who dont...

Thank you.

All top selling items are no. 1 for one reason: they serve their market the best.

The market could be value leadership, performance leadership, cost leadership, or a variety of other things. Success hinges on being able to identify what your target market wants. PS3 or 360 vs Wii isn't a straight comparison like the Xbox vs. PS 2 vs. Gamecube was.

People like the OP are quite narrow minded and have a hard time seeing outside their own wants/needs.
April 27, 2007 3:33:04 AM

Quote:
The Wii is about fun, not high end specs.

If you don't get it, it's not the console for you, plain and simple...

Spot on.

If my mates come over and we get on the piss what do you thinks more fun.

Myself sitting at my PC playing Battlfeild 2142 getting pissed off at my score because I'm to pissed. With everyone else sitting behind me bored off their tits.

Or all of us playing at the same time. Golf, Bowling, Excite Truck, and boxing jumping around like retards having an awesome time.

If I'm having a nite home alone there is nothing I'd rather do than get a bit of online action on my PC.

However if I have my mates, gf, cousins, or grandparents over I have no troubles at all into talking them into a game of tennis on the Wii.

Don't buy a Wii if you don't have friends.
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2007 3:42:26 AM

You gotta love Youtube.
April 27, 2007 3:50:23 AM

Quote:
Don't buy a Wii if you don't have friends.

Hey, I don't have friends and have a Wii... are you implying something?

Just kidding.

Runsw95--

YouTube is great esp when someone points out the videos worth watching. :wink:
April 27, 2007 4:10:17 AM

480p on a 52" tv, blah. the pixels are about the size of floor tiles, no wonder it looks like crap. the wii is fun, not a powerhouse. Too many companies are worried about system specs and forgot about fun. I own a 360 and a wii, the wii has been getting the more attention lately.
April 27, 2007 5:03:44 AM

I have a 109" front projection tv, I played the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess on it in 480p, and I thought it looked pretty good. On the contrary, I don't see a market for the xbox360 or the PS3; if I wanna play a bunch of games with friends, we're gonna play the Wii, or sometimes an older system, because they're fun. If I want something with pretty graphics, I'll play it on my pc that's a hell of a lot more powerful than either of those consoles. Game play is all that matters, I don't care how many cores it has, how much ram it has or at what resolution it outputs, the concept of a game system is to *suprise* play video games, not output pretty pictures. My old N64, and Super Nintendo get just as much use if not more than my newer systems.
April 27, 2007 11:06:33 AM

Well.
If I have some friends over. Most people are non-gamers.
If I show them Gears of war or Wii Sports.

What do you think we will use?
Of course the Wii. It is simply fun.

The Specrace is for people who buys things beacuse of statistics. "this has XX meg ram. It is more fun".

The PSP and NDS is perfect example. The PSP is so much more powerfull. Still the NDS sells more. People are not stupid. They have FUN using the NDS. It does not matter that it is bad specwise to the PSP.

The Wii controller is so fun. I really like it. Still, I wish the Wii would be more powerfull. Twilight princess looks good on my FullHD 47 LCD. But you can see that it is low resolution.

If Legend had Gears of war graphics, how much more fun would it be? 1%? 5% Note more then that.
April 27, 2007 1:24:36 PM

I'm buying a Wii as soon as I can find one in stores. They're all sold out. :?

As has already been said by others, I don't want stunning graphics. Pretty graphics don't make for fun games. I want a Wii to play with friends on for entertainment. Hardcore graphics gaming can be left to the PC, which is always better than any console system.
April 27, 2007 2:15:44 PM

Quote:
I have a 109" front projection tv, I played the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess on it in 480p, and I thought it looked pretty good.

Ditto that.

There is very little in this world that is as fun as having the buddies over, beer in one hand and wii remote in the other, playing the wii on the 100" screen. :) 
April 27, 2007 2:44:07 PM

I have to disagree on the graphics and controller front. While not nearly as good as the xbox360 and PS3 graphics it can easily handle last gen graphics. The remote is not as good as a mouse/keyboard for certain styles of games to be sure. It is however a step up from the current console controllers in most respects.

As to whether its for Hardcore gamers as one poster asserted? I actually think it just might be THE system for hardcore gamers. I'm talking old-school, grew up with Pong, then Atari 2600, been playing games religiously all their lives gamers. Not people who in recent years picked up on the fad and think they're l33t or whatever silliness. Those of us who've been in the game (pun intended to lighten the mood so you don't take this too seriously) all these years from the beginning of home gaming know that a games fun factor and immersion is what counts the most.

I have played all 3 new consoles on several games each and although prettier, most of the sony/microsoft lot have been underwhelming in fun.

To each their own I suppose, but I'll make an analogy here: Some of the best fun I've ever had wasn't with the most beautiful women, and some of the biggest disappointments were with the knockout gorgeous ones. But if window dressing makes the experience for you then more power to ya, a pretty face is exciting for short bits but true fun for the long haul is where its at for us oldtimers. LOL I'm not that old but another attempt at levity to make sure this isn't seen as a flame :) 
April 27, 2007 6:12:40 PM

You are a certified graphics whore! :evil: 

I have a gaming rig and love it to death. I love the detail and performance it gives me. But that's the problem right there. I am the only one playing.

With the Wii, everyone in my home has a great time. My family, friends, and even neighbors can just pick up the Wiimote and begin to have fun within a matter of minutes. We laugh at the each other just because we look like fools swinging the Wiimote around. Even my two year old son has a blast just trying to play Wii Sports.

The Wii was never intended to compete with the other consoles in the graphics arena. However, it does wipe the floor with them in this RARE feature. GAMEPLAY! I am not saying that there are no good games for the other consoles but it seems as if gameplay has been forgotten in favor of a beautiful, sparkling, gold plate, piece of crap game. God of War is a perfect marriage of the two. I have had people tell me that they prefer Zelda: TWP to Gears of War because of how well the game was designed.

I have over 40 hours logged in Zelda:TWP and am still in awe of the tasks and flexibility of the new equipment that I obtain in the game. You actually have to think before trying to tackle something.

The Wiimote by itself elevates the console into greatness. There is a completely new dimension opened up. You are no longer confined to just the buttons on the controller with some hint of motion sensitivity. You have to make deliberate motions to perform certain tasks. This is what sucks you into the game. At times you need to do perform a motion with the nunchuck while operating the Wiimote in a completely different manner.

Wii games have been getting higher overall marks than the other consoles simply because of this extra dimension. And the reviewers always give the other consoles the win for graphics.

In conclusion why don't you actually open your mind and accept the Wii for what it is. A family friendly, revolutionary, gameplay wonder.

My dream is to see God of War ported to the Wii. That would slaughter all on comers and make gaming history. 8O
April 27, 2007 6:14:00 PM

What the hell are you doing posting this in the GPU section? Die console threads die!
April 30, 2007 5:00:01 PM

You didn't buy the Wii so what's the big deal? If everyone else loves it, but you don't... well, screw you! The Wii is the only next-gen console that doesn't have HD capabilities... so what? Does that mean it can't be fun?

Something tells me you might have been born with a silver spoon in your mouth... so I suppose that could explain your utter disdain for what is so obviously an inferior console. The Zelda title you mentioned was originally intended to be a Game Cube release, so it's not exactly the pinnacle of the Wii's graphics capabilities. With time the graphics for the Wii's games will likely improve, but they'll almost certainly trail the PS3/XBox 360 for the life of the console.

The Wii has a weaker processor, a weaker GPU, and less memory... but it costs less, has a unique controller and even includes games in the box. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
April 30, 2007 5:20:38 PM

The Wii is for people who have social skills and don't buy a console just so they can knock one out on the specs page.
April 30, 2007 5:49:36 PM

Consumers are not blind, your mind is blinded by the "graphics is everything" slogan of PS3 and X360.
Games in Wii are not that pretty but they are fun, I admitt Gears of War looks gorgeous (for a console I mean, 360 still looks like crap compared to my PC) but it's boring after the first 2 hours, Wii sports on the other hand is fun for hours and hours, add a copule of friends and you'v got more fun.
Gameplay is the next big thing, forget about graphics.
April 30, 2007 6:01:58 PM

[X] you are another one of those who know bull about gaming

The Wii is the only gaming console on the market.
If I wanna watch DVDs, Ill buy a DVD player that costs only a fraction and has way lower cost of ownership and in general is a lot better and not copycat crap like PS and especially Xbox.

So, there ya go
April 30, 2007 6:11:51 PM

Try and get a girl to drool over your OC'ed computer. Try and get a girl to drool over your PS3 / Xbox 360...it's probably not going to happen.

Girls are lining up to touch my Wii :lol: 

Seriously, the Wii is about game play and it's lots of fun. It gets a room of people playing together better than anything I've seen in a long time...and I'm talking normal people...not all you computer/console nerds!
April 30, 2007 7:30:36 PM

I guess my sig is going to make some people :cry: 

PC for hardcore, wii for dumb family fun... seems simple enough. :D 
April 30, 2007 7:34:22 PM

Quote:
I guess my sig is going to make some people :cry: 

PC for hardcore, wii for dumb family fun... seems simple enough. :D 

Is that picture auto-updated on a certain time period?
April 30, 2007 7:45:41 PM

Yes, it is autoupdated... not sure the frequency (I notice jumps every few days).

Also, I'm not vouching for the #'s, but they seem reasonable... still trying to get my Wii (selling out within 2 hours of delivery... it's MAY for crying out loud!) :cry: 
April 30, 2007 7:47:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is autoupdated... not sure the frequency (I notice jumps every few days).

Also, I'm not vouching for the #'s, but they seem reasonable... still trying to get my Wii (selling out within 2 hours of delivery... it's MAY for crying out loud!) :cry: 

That's cool, thanks. I'm rooting for the 360 and the Wii to win. I bought my Wii the day it came out, only had to wait in line for 2 hours outside of a Best Buy in downtown Atlanta. I don't have the 360 yet...just waiting for Halo 3 to come out although Gears of War is tempting me to get it sooner...
April 30, 2007 8:26:04 PM

the wii was meant to be a cheap console for the mainstream, not an expensive amazing graphics multimedia system. Its meant to be fun and addicting, which it is. Graphics aren't everything, if gfx are that important to you then dont get a wii. Its that simple. The wii was made with one idea in mind: "fun for the masses"

and thats what it is
April 30, 2007 8:26:18 PM

Quote:
:lol:  you made me laugh

Word. Gave me a quick chuckle too.
April 30, 2007 8:44:15 PM

Quote:
One of my roomates just bought a Wii, and I connected it to my 52" HDTV.

And those consoles (ps2, xbox) are better than the Wii.

so if your roommate isn't impressed, tell him to PM me... I'll buy his Wii for $250 + shipping... peace
!