Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Where is my activation Key????!!!!!????

Last response: in Windows XP
February 20, 2007 9:41:02 PM

haha this may sound like a very retarded question, but i just built my first pc, everything went together and booted on the first try. Now i get to installing and partitioning my hard drive, and i dont know where my xp key is!! i bought winxp pro OEM from Newegg. It sounds like there supposed to be some sort of sticker but i cant find it. There are numbers on the package the cd and manual came in, but none of them look like a Key. Any help?

P.s. this makes me feel retarded

More about : activation key

February 20, 2007 9:47:46 PM

On the front of the book on which the CD is attached is a sticker on the bottom of the sticker are 25 numbers in groupings of 5, this is the Key. Once Windows is installed you'll be asked to Activate Windows. Just click on Activate and it'll take you to Microsoft Activation website.
February 20, 2007 9:54:33 PM

Thats what i expected. Its not on my Blue "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" booklet. There are 2 stickers on the front one says "liscencsed for distribution only within the united states and Canada", and the other is an OEm software message.
Related resources
February 20, 2007 10:26:09 PM

Sorry, mine is XP not Pro. Have you tried contacting the vendor you got the OEM from and asking them or checking Microsoft support? It is starnge
February 20, 2007 11:02:37 PM

I called Newegg support which sent me to microsoft and i explained how it didnt come with one. The tech person was obviously from india or somewhere else and they said that the online vendor i got it from(newegg) would email me in the next 24 hours. im currently waiting
February 20, 2007 11:23:36 PM

If they don't send it to you, I've got to believe newegg would let you RMA it for a replacement. They are great to work with. Microsoft probably didn't provide to the key to start with. I guess even Microsoft makes mistakes. :D 
February 27, 2007 7:01:09 AM

The Windows product key is on the outside of the packaging on the back. Did you immediately rip open the shrink wrap and toss it? That is where your product key SHOULD be... right below the CD on the back of the package. If you still have that shrink wrap, then get it out of the trash... because that's where your key is located.
March 4, 2007 11:07:14 AM

Kind of reminds me of a game I got the key was in a little package seemed to me to be a blank paper after an hour trying to find the key it was inside of the enclosed paper. Please rip here.

I dont like game stores where the sales people are not doing anything other than trying out the new game, than turn around and sell the game after installing it on the stores computer. Just hate that. The store should buy their own friggen game
March 4, 2007 11:49:09 AM

Quote:
The Windows product key is on the outside of the packaging on the back. Did you immediately rip open the shrink wrap and toss it? That is where your product key SHOULD be... right below the CD on the back of the package. If you still have that shrink wrap, then get it out of the trash... because that's where your key is located.

Timely reminder. Just got an OEM copy of XP and remembering this post, put the sticker with the key on it on the booklet the CD sleeve is attached to. Also always write the Key on the book as well.
Anonymous
October 30, 2009 5:33:30 PM

your right you are retarded!
October 30, 2009 8:40:45 PM

The thread is 2 years old. Now who's retarded?
!