Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Vista + Routers = Bad

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 20, 2007 11:15:56 PM

Going to help some people out here (hopefully)...

Installed Vista 64 bit OEM on a system that was running 100%. Once everything was installed, I was having network problems, which I never had before with XP.

I was using a D-Link I624 router connected to my speedstream 5200 ADSL modem. Under my network connections it was showing I was connected to my home network fine, but there was a problem from the network to the internet (which of course windows couldn't fix). It would show that I had limited connectivity. Every time I opened a browser window, it said the page could not be found, but if I refreshed 2 - 3 times it would come up. Would do this for every webpage I tried to goto.

After a TON of forum searching, I found that most routers that use SPI (internal firewall) would not work properly with Vista. So much for my new D-Link!!! Firmware updates did not solve the problem. I ordered the speedstream 6520 router/ADSL modem from my ISP, and everything is working just fine!

Make sure to do some research on routers before you try installing Vista on a network to make sure that it will work correctly with Vista!

More about : vista routers bad

February 21, 2007 1:20:02 PM

Never had an issue with my DI-604 (other that the router itself) or my new WBR-2310. Both have their firewall enabled and I haven't had trouble connecting to the internet with either one.
February 21, 2007 7:42:17 PM

Nice! You mind sharing on how you configured it? Did you do manual I.P. forwarding or anything special? Are you using 64 bit or 32 bit? what ethernet card/mobo are you using?

Did not matter how I tried to configure that router, I always had the same problem with the internet, where it would say the page wasn't found, but if I kept refreshing, it would eventually come up! Once I changed the router, everything worked perfectly.
Related resources
February 21, 2007 8:01:49 PM

I really didn't do anything special... running 64-bit Vista. Try updating your NIC drivers; my connection was problematic until I did that.
February 21, 2007 9:00:29 PM

Yeah, did all the updates I could think of... router, NIC, speedstream... none of them made a difference. It seems that the windows Vista DNC service would not co-operate with the router... yet I could not find out why. The other comptuers I had on the router worked perfect with XP (both 32 bit & 64 bit).

Could just be a compatibility issue with my DFI Lanparty board, Vista and the router! I did read a few forums where people were having problems with Vista and changing the router fixed the problem... could have also been a bum router to begin with, and with Vista using more UPnP then XP was more sensitive to any issues.

Thanks for the info. Hope this info does help others that may have the same problems I did.
February 22, 2007 2:51:26 AM

Quote:
Going to help some people out here (hopefully)...

Installed Vista 64 bit OEM on a system that was running 100%. Once everything was installed, I was having network problems, which I never had before with XP.

I was using a D-Link I624 router connected to my speedstream 5200 ADSL modem. Under my network connections it was showing I was connected to my home network fine, but there was a problem from the network to the internet (which of course windows couldn't fix). It would show that I had limited connectivity. Every time I opened a browser window, it said the page could not be found, but if I refreshed 2 - 3 times it would come up. Would do this for every webpage I tried to goto.

After a TON of forum searching, I found that most routers that use SPI (internal firewall) would not work properly with Vista. So much for my new D-Link!!! Firmware updates did not solve the problem. I ordered the speedstream 6520 router/ADSL modem from my ISP, and everything is working just fine!

Make sure to do some research on routers before you try installing Vista on a network to make sure that it will work correctly with Vista!
Go HERE and choose what you have. Obtain the latest FIRMWARE and FLASH the ROUTER. If this does not solve the issue part of the problem is that these routers use EMBEDED LINUX. IPCHAINS
MS is eliminating support of LINUX/SAMBA starting with VISTA to eliminate the threat of OPEN SOURCE

I have posted similar but about Linksys
February 23, 2007 2:35:29 PM

D-Link routers don't use Linux... at least not to my knowledge. I know Linksys routers use it, but I am unsure of any others. I haven't had an issue with either of my D-Link routers on Vista... so if they do use embedded Linux, that shoots down your assertion.
February 23, 2007 4:07:27 PM

Quote:
D-Link routers don't use Linux... at least not to my knowledge. I know Linksys routers use it, but I am unsure of any others. I haven't had an issue with either of my D-Link routers on Vista... so if they do use embedded Linux, that shoots down your assertion.
OK Whatever. I don't have that much time to play but HERE is just one of many D-Links that use Linux. Then just to get the idea of how much Linux is used in the real world HAVE A LOOK HERE.
In other threads I linked to the issues at hand and if I can you can too. To get you started have a look here HERE to read about one of the many issues related to the topic. There are many other problems and they are all documented. I don't get paid to reserach but I would start with Google and go from there? I mainly explained that the person with the issue may want to check to see if there is a FIRMWARE UPDATE for his/her device. In routers the FIRMWARE FLASH replaces the embeded IP CHAINS (mainly LINUX) and everything else to a newer more stable version. How is my assertion now :?:
PS: By the way he solved his issue by geting a different router. I posted since some may not want to do that or might not realize that these devices can be flashed. Some might not know that MS is pushing open source based network devices out or making them hard enough to use (problematic) so that a Vista user will opt to spend more $$ on a solution that MS considers "BETTER"
February 23, 2007 5:50:03 PM

I'm not here to debate how much Linux is used in the real world. What I said was I have two D-Link routers (DI-604 and WBR-2310) and both work just fine with Vista... no issues whatsoever. Now if both those routers use Linux and they work just fine with Vista... then yes, your assertion is incorrect. In other words, there's more to it than simply "they use Linux".
February 23, 2007 6:38:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not here to debate how much Linux is used in the real world. What I said was I have two D-Link routers (DI-604 and WBR-2310) and both work just fine with Vista... no issues whatsoever. Now if both those routers use Linux and they work just fine with Vista... then yes, your assertion is incorrect. In other words, there's more to it than simply "they use Linux".
You must be here for some reason. Let's ponder what that may or may not be.
Since the guy solved the issue the problem is solved for him.
I'm sure that I started the other message off with a "OK Whatever!" then you see a bunch of other words and stuff.
Part of that was to tell YOU that D-Link uses Linux and showed a link so as to substanciate that claim. I don't care about your hardware since you have no issues, regardless many do. As to the reasons you don't have troubles, who can say? Perhaps you don't have imbeded Linux? Maybe your firmware was patched? It just does not matter.
Something that does matter is that you said, "D-Link routers don't use Linux" as it turns out they do! You also said, "In other words, there's more to it than simply "they use Linux." To that I can respond with a resounding, "Yes there is since we have now added Vista!" Like the other guy I can assert that my network has issues that it didn't thanks to Vista. His resolve is to get a new device and for him that is the solution. On the other hand you don't have any of the issues that he had or that I have.
February 23, 2007 11:29:26 PM

Your assertion:

Quote:
MS is eliminating support of LINUX/SAMBA starting with VISTA to eliminate the threat of OPEN SOURCE

Now, if this is in fact true, then it stands to reason that NO router using embedded Linux would work with Windows Vista. Considering (as you pointed out yourself) that most major manufacturers do indeed use embedded Linux; then these routers shouldn't work. (As per your aforementioned assertion).

I have showed you that I own two D-Link routers. You state that D-Link does use embedded Linux in their routers. Therefore, I should have the same amount of luck as the original poster in getting my router to work, correct? Well, obviously not so correct as both my routers run just fine under Vista x64. Therefore, your original assertion must be flawed. (As I've tried to point out). You then ramble on about how Linux is all over the place when this wasn't my original point or argument. How widespread Linux is wasn't the topic of this conversation... so I'm not going to bother rebutting those points. (And besides, I know Linux is more widespead than most people think, so you're preaching to the choir here).

Do you understand what I'm trying to say now? An old router with firmware no newer than a year or two ago works fine. A newer router with recent firmware works fine as well. So, I don't buy that he had trouble because "MS is eliminating support of LINUX/SAMBA starting with VISTA to eliminate the threat of OPEN SOURCE". Obviously, there is another reason.
February 24, 2007 12:27:09 AM

Quote:
Your assertion:

Now, if this is in fact true, then it stands to reason that NO router using embedded Linux would work with Windows Vista. Considering (as you pointed out yourself) that most major manufacturers do indeed use embedded Linux; then these routers shouldn't work. (As per your aforementioned assertion).

I have showed you that I own two D-Link routers. You state that D-Link does use embedded Linux in their routers. Therefore, I should have the same amount of luck as the original poster in getting my router to work, correct? Well, obviously not so correct as both my routers run just fine under Vista x64. Therefore, your original assertion must be flawed. (As I've tried to point out). You then ramble on about how Linux is all over the place when this wasn't my original point or argument. How widespread Linux is wasn't the topic of this conversation... so I'm not going to bother rebutting those points. (And besides, I know Linux is more widespead than most people think, so you're preaching to the choir here).

Do you understand what I'm trying to say now? An old router with firmware no newer than a year or two ago works fine. A newer router with recent firmware works fine as well. So, I don't buy that he had trouble because "MS is eliminating support of LINUX/SAMBA starting with VISTA to eliminate the threat of OPEN SOURCE". Obviously, there is another reason.Several posts back I clearly said, "OK Whatever" so that is my way of saying, "Whatever you say Zoron"
In the last post I repeated that and left off with a, "On the other hand you don't have any of the issues that he had or that I have."
Let us have a Zoron/Alpha networking checklist:
1) Zoron may or may not have a bunch of stuff that according to him works great.

2) 2 members here have had problems on this thread w/ network devices and Vista.

3) Zoron thinks that Alpha is DEAD WRONG and no matter what Alpha says, Zoron's 2 things are absolute proof that all in the networking world is still great.

4) S. Ballmer has stated his contempt for open source (he means Linux, shhh) many, many times. There are videos where he calls Linux a cancer.

5) I can't prove this mind you since you need to be able to connect the dots. There are millions of small networking devices sold each and every day. I read about your routers Zoron and they seem to be based on Intel VIVA or whatever it’s called. Hence your stuff will work as all Win/tels do.

5a) MS does not have to fire bomb anything or launch a direct assault to wreak havoc. MS only needs to make several small changes to their OS to drive you over the edge.

5b) You had no issues with your stuff then upgraded. Now you have issues but not in your system but instead in your router. Vista cost you around say $200.00 give or take. A new VIVA whatever approved router costs $50.00. All they need do is make little bugs that are easy to correct by getting rid of that non compatible router that worked fine w/ XP.

5c) MS sees the opportunity to get its own embedded OS on those devices. My issue is that the embedded version of SAMBA in my router needs to be upgraded. The next problem is that the way I was able to access the data on my NAS has changed between XP and Vista. Vista no longer indexes SAMBA shares. You have to download "UNCFATDMS.exe" from MS just to see those shares.

5d) MS has stated that it intends to manage all home based digital media with a divice that runs "Windows Home Server" and this device will be sold directly from MS and many of their partners (Sony, HP, etc.)

6) Go to the Linksys support message board or call them and have a talk since it turns out that after some long sessions with R&D the issue I had was duplicated at Linksys.

7) You said that D-Link does not use Linux and then blammo they do. My router is more then a router and extremely new (go look it up WRT-350N) and all of my systems work great with it till Vista reared up. The short list is OSX, Mandriva, XP, XP, XP and now Vista. I use a WD MyBook for the NAS. Windows MP11 on Vista will not stream audio or video from the NAS but XP has no problem.

8) So if you’re asking if I have proof that there is something sinister at hand I will say only all of the complaints I read on various router sites and networking sites suggest that networking should not change simply because MS decides that it will sell a new OS.

9) The direct issue with Vista is the UAC and the security encryption level. Looking at the tool above Vista is moving away from NON NTFS support. Indexing non NTFS NAS devices is done. If I paid for Vista I would be so pissed right now LOL.
February 24, 2007 2:53:01 PM

Quote:
5) I can't prove this mind you since you need to be able to connect the dots. There are millions of small networking devices sold each and every day. I read about your routers Zoron and they seem to be based on Intel VIVA or whatever it’s called. Hence your stuff will work as all Win/tels do.

Then the so-called Linux/Vista issue has absolutely NOTHING to do with the original poster's problem, does it? Considering the WBR-2310 is nothing more than a DI-624 Rev. D, that means his router wasn't running on Linux and your whole little tirade was completely unwarranted.

Quote:
5b) You had no issues with your stuff then upgraded. Now you have issues but not in your system but instead in your router. Vista cost you around say $200.00 give or take. A new VIVA whatever approved router costs $50.00. All they need do is make little bugs that are easy to correct by getting rid of that non compatible router that worked fine w/ XP.

My issues were present in XP. The original DI-604 I had would reboot / lock up. Therefore it is a ROUTER issue and not an OS issue. I'd say the router actually worked better in Vista, but because I haven't yet made the jump to using Vista as my primary OS... it's not going to do to use a router that locks up / reboots when using my primary OS (XP Pro). I haven't paid a cent for Vista because I'm still running RC 2 and plan on getting the free trial before I rush out to buy it.

You assume much... and most of your assumptions are incorrect. However, you insist on pointing out how correct you are despite your mistaken assumptions. The reason I went out and got the WBR-2310 is because I needed a router with wireless capabilities... which quite obviously the DI-604 lacks.

You can't stand to be wrong, so you have to deflect from the topic at hand and point to something you can be "right" about... simply because you cannot admit you were wrong.
February 24, 2007 7:12:53 PM

Quote:

Then the so-called Linux/Vista issue has absolutely NOTHING to do with the original poster's problem, does it? Considering the WBR-2310 is nothing more than a DI-624 Rev. D, that means his router wasn't running on Linux and your whole little tirade was completely unwarranted.

Quote:

My issues were present in XP. The original DI-604 I had would reboot / lock up. Therefore it is a ROUTER issue and not an OS issue. I'd say the router actually worked better in Vista, but because I haven't yet made the jump to using Vista as my primary OS... it's not going to do to use a router that locks up / reboots when using my primary OS (XP Pro). I haven't paid a cent for Vista because I'm still running RC 2 and plan on getting the free trial before I rush out to buy it.

You assume much... and most of your assumptions are incorrect. However, you insist on pointing out how correct you are despite your mistaken assumptions. The reason I went out and got the WBR-2310 is because I needed a router with wireless capabilities... which quite obviously the DI-604 lacks.

You can't stand to be wrong, so you have to deflect from the topic at hand and point to something you can be "right" about... simply because you cannot admit you were wrong.Oh Zoron, please don't be a MORON. There is no point in pulling my chain. I can make assumptions and these prove to be correct or incorrect. I assume you have no "network problem" since you said, "What I said was I have two D-Link routers (DI-604 and WBR-2310) and both work just fine with Vista... no issues whatsoever." I'm sure you have problems and it seems that those are directly between your ears! I happen to be in the camp of those that don't give a flyin' fart about Zoron the Moron's network. I don't own D-Link stuff and that is a good thing. It seems that my Linksys issues are not as bad as the D-Link problems that I'm reading about. The guy that started this thread said, "After a TON of forum searching, I found that most routers that use SPI (internal firewall) would not work properly with Vista. So much for my new D-Link."
Quote:
Microsoft's latest operating system, Vista, is unable to operate properly with some firewalls that use SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) as found in routers like the D-Link DI-724U, the Netgear WGR614, the Linksys WRT54GS and possibly others.[1] This may be related to previous failures to work properly

After more reading then I wanted to do it turns out that the embedded SPI software is a form of "Checkpoint" and there are 2 things to note about it. The company Checkpoint is the same as the company Zone Labs. The second thing (and germane to this thread) is that Checkpoint is "OPEN SOURCE".

I came across this PROBLEM

So now it seems that Vista:
1) Possibly causes dropped connections with open source SPI routers.

2) May not index non NTFS NAS devices

3) May not stream media files from NAS devices.

4) May be forcing non compliance issues by using MS standards in place of actual standards.

I have run out of time on this post and I have addressed you with an amount of respect that I'm sure you do not deserve. I doubt any more discourse will be necessary since it appears that you like to be irritating.
February 25, 2007 7:27:31 AM

What's irritating is someone that can't admit that they may have been mistaken and then carry on with something else completely off-topic to show that they are somehow correct about something... just not the original something they were supposed to be correct about.

Yes, I'm sure all the issues you mention are present. However, this has very little to do with the D-Link DI-624 Wireless Internet Router. I have not tried Linksys products since I've had many issues with them in the past. If that's what you want to use, more power to you. If you don't wish to use Vista, also, more power to you. But the issues you raise to not apply to the original poster's problem; yet you somehow feel the need to keep shoving it down my throat when I've already conceded that you may be correct about said issues. As I've said, those issues don't apply to this model router and it escapes me why you keep insisting on bringing them up when it does nothing to address the original issue.

So go ahead and post all the links you want. Since you feel the need to be right and won't admit you're mistaken... I'll leave it at that. I've already admitted that I could have been mistaken about D-Link using Linux in their routers (which they do... but obviously not in all models). What more do you want me to admit? Do you want me to invent a problem so you can pat yourself on the back?
February 25, 2007 6:27:42 PM

Quote:
What's irritating is someone that can't admit that they may have been mistaken and then carry on with something else completely off-topic to show that they are somehow correct about something... just not the original something they were supposed to be correct about.

Yes, I'm sure all the issues you mention are present. However, this has very little to do with the D-Link DI-624 Wireless Internet Router. I have not tried Linksys products since I've had many issues with them in the past. If that's what you want to use, more power to you. If you don't wish to use Vista, also, more power to you. But the issues you raise to not apply to the original poster's problem; yet you somehow feel the need to keep shoving it down my throat when I've already conceded that you may be correct about said issues. As I've said, those issues don't apply to this model router and it escapes me why you keep insisting on bringing them up when it does nothing to address the original issue.

So go ahead and post all the links you want. Since you feel the need to be right and won't admit you're mistaken... I'll leave it at that. I've already admitted that I could have been mistaken about D-Link using Linux in their routers (which they do... but obviously not in all models). What more do you want me to admit? Do you want me to invent a problem so you can pat yourself on the back?
Zoron what I want is for you to:
1) Take a long walk off a short pier.
2) Visit Mars
3) Save the world by throwing yourself into an active volcano.
or anything along those lines and the sooner the better.
February 26, 2007 2:20:33 PM

Life's a bitch, isnt' it?

Just admit you made a mistake and I will leave you alone. That's all it takes. If I can admit I was wrong about something... surely you're a big enough individual to do the same? I'm sure your ego can take it.

There's enough idiots spreading FUD. Stop being so damned stubborn.
February 26, 2007 2:29:36 PM

The problem is most likely in the NIC. 90% of routers, Linux based and otherwise, are Vista compliant. For instance, the WRT54G, a very highly regarded Linux based router, is fully Vista compliant. I have literally tested hundreds of routers, and few have any problem with Vista that wasn't solved by pressing reset.
February 26, 2007 4:57:58 PM

Quote:
Life's a bitch, isnt' it?

Just admit you made a mistake and I will leave you alone. That's all it takes. If I can admit I was wrong about something... surely you're a big enough individual to do the same? I'm sure your ego can take it.

There's enough idiots spreading FUD. Stop being so damned stubborn.
On my part there is nothing to admit since MS is doing everything that it can to cut out the cancer of Open Source Software (Linux). That does not mean that the router on the head of this topic has problems due to open source though it just might. So it is reasonable to attempt a firmware flash in the event that hardware stops working. The same flash may be needed should NEW software have a negative interaction with EXISTING hardware.
Let me break down my original post on this thread point by point for you my lovely Zoron:
Quote:
Go HERE and choose what you have. Obtain the latest FIRMWARE and FLASH the ROUTER.
Here I pointed to the D-Link page and the different products made by them. I read there that there were several new firmware revisions. I didn't know exactly what D-Link he had since there is an A, B, C & I think a D revision of that hardware.
Quote:
If this does not solve the issue part of the problem is that these routers use EMBEDED LINUX. IPCHAINS
Here I needed to use () around the IPCHAINS to make it look like this...(IPCHAINS). Here I explained that if the firmware flash failed to solve the issue part of the problem may be that the embedded OS could contain Linux be it IPCHAINS or Shorewall or Checkpoint. The chipset (contains the embedded OS) could be the issue since the change needed might not be possible due to limitations of that given chipset. I didn't type that since my main point was that "FLASHING THE FIRMWARE" may be just the ticket.
Quote:
Here is the actual comment that I made that you feel is FUD. You can disagree with the statement but you cannot completely refute the statement. You can at best challenge the veracity of the statement but will not be able to disprove its content.
1) MS “IS” eliminating support for SAMBA (or at least making it so annoying that you look for another solution). Vista is the first OS made by MS that makes it more than challenging to access SAMBA shares. MS has elected to stay with the NT File System and limit indexing to NTFS or local drives only (This is a more inclusive statement).
A) http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4434907782.html (for many this solution does not work)
B) http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.i...
2) MS does in fact intend (at least in word) to eliminate Open Source (Linux). Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said that, "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." Please read the following articles from valid sources that are in fact the basis for my remark.
A) http://news.com.com/2100-1001-268520.html
B) http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6160604.html
C) http://www.niallkennedy.com/blog/archives/2006/12/micro...
D) http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html (Zoron, I value this guy over you any day of the week.)
Quote:
I have posted similar but about Linksys
I posted a thread on this board and part of it was about the issues that I have been facing with an Open Source based networking solution. This is to say that I am having problems that I did not with XP and after many hours with Linksys R&D one of the issues found is that the product is not as Vista Ready as they thought. Vista’s UAC is non-standard and is not ubiquitous in its implementation was what the tech stated. More than that the Vista Explorer will not index NAS drives that are not mapped to the system. This means that I need another machine to find the actual path that I must TYPE into the “MAP NETWORK DRIVE” pane.
So there it is sweetheart, the blow by blow.
February 26, 2007 9:06:06 PM

That's nice... very nice. However, it has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

I never said you were wrong about your tirade... just misdirected. It had NOTHING to do with the original poster's problem. A firmware upgrade / downgrade and perhaps a hard reset would have solved the issue. Since my router is nothing more than a DI-624 Rev. D in a fancy new case, I knew that his router SHOULD work and it has nothing to do with MS supporting open source or not.

I never denied Steve Ballmer made the comments you attribute to him. If you ask me, the guy needs to be in a straight jacket bouncing around a rubber room... but I digress. He didn't make Vista; he only gets to take credit for it.
February 27, 2007 4:52:57 PM

Quote:
That's nice... very nice. However, it has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

I never said you were wrong about your tirade... just misdirected. It had NOTHING to do with the original poster's problem. A firmware upgrade / downgrade and perhaps a hard reset would have solved the issue. Since my router is nothing more than a DI-624 Rev. D in a fancy new case, I knew that his router SHOULD work and it has nothing to do with MS supporting open source or not.

I never denied Steve Ballmer made the comments you attribute to him. If you ask me, the guy needs to be in a straight jacket bouncing around a rubber room... but I digress. He didn't make Vista; he only gets to take credit for it.
ROFLMMFAO The original poster solved his problem by getting a new router before he posted. He posted for informational purposes only. Don't worry Zoltran you will be OK baby~
!