PC video card that can display @HD resolution?

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2004 11:31:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,aus.audio-visual.home-cinema,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video (More info?)

Does anybody have any recommendations for a not-too-expensive PCI-bus
video card that can output @HD resolution? It would be great if the
resolution was one of the default ones on the card, but I dunno if
anything like that is out yet...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2004 7:16:22 AM

http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00009900

"Technology Guy" <dotnet_vb_newbie@programmer.net> wrote in message
> Does anybody have any recommendations for a not-too-expensive PCI-bus
> video card that can output @HD resolution? It would be great if the
> resolution was one of the default ones on the card, but I dunno if
> anything like that is out yet...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2004 7:16:23 AM

Byron Forbes wrote:

> http://www.scorptec.com.au/index.php?prdid=00009900

That's an input board, not an output board.

GeforceFX5200 or Radeon 9100 do the job for US standard HDTV if it has a DVI
input, don't know about australian. May need to run Powerstrip to get the
timings right.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

dotnet_vb_newbie@programmer.net (Technology Guy) wrote (in part):

>Does anybody have any recommendations for a not-too-expensive PCI-bus
>video card that can output @HD resolution? It would be great if the
>resolution was one of the default ones on the card, but I dunno if
>anything like that is out yet...

Actually many recent (as in the past several years) cards can do it if
a component connection is good enough for you. Just get a VGA to
component adapter cable (not very expensive) and download Powerstrip
(free trial) to get the right scan rate. If you prefer DVI, ATI and
nVidia have several cards with that connector, as do other brands
based on those chipsets.

Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>
December 4, 2004 1:20:28 PM

Technology Guy wrote:
> Does anybody have any recommendations for a not-too-expensive PCI-bus
> video card that can output @HD resolution? It would be great if the
> resolution was one of the default ones on the card, but I dunno if
> anything like that is out yet...
I got my ti4200 to display in 1280 by 720. I had to hook up an analog
monitor to one port and a DVI->HDMI cable to the digital port so I could
see the screen to set the resolution. My Hitachi 50vs810 doesn't
support standard PC resolutions. The context menu from Nvidia had some
advanced timings including 1280x720 at 60Hz. At that screen setting
Windows XP was working fine with some excessive overscan. The task bar
was pretty much off the screen.

The games I tried set their own resolution and won't go 1280x720--so
while I did get the PC to display on my TV it wasn't very practical.

I guess there's good reason my TV's manual specifically states it
doesn't support PCs.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2004 9:32:09 PM

> GeforceFX5200 or Radeon 9100 do the job for US standard HDTV if it has a
> DVI
> input, don't know about australian. May need to run Powerstrip to get the
> timings right.

Boring.
December 6, 2004 2:55:31 AM

"James" <jlp2600-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:HLGdnZwcJaggSCzcRVn-tw@comcast.com...
> Technology Guy wrote:
> > Does anybody have any recommendations for a not-too-expensive PCI-bus
> > video card that can output @HD resolution? It would be great if the
> > resolution was one of the default ones on the card, but I dunno if
> > anything like that is out yet...
> I got my ti4200 to display in 1280 by 720. I had to hook up an analog
> monitor to one port and a DVI->HDMI cable to the digital port so I could
> see the screen to set the resolution. My Hitachi 50vs810 doesn't
> support standard PC resolutions. The context menu from Nvidia had some
> advanced timings including 1280x720 at 60Hz. At that screen setting
> Windows XP was working fine with some excessive overscan. The task bar
> was pretty much off the screen.
>
> The games I tried set their own resolution and won't go 1280x720--so
> while I did get the PC to display on my TV it wasn't very practical.
>
> I guess there's good reason my TV's manual specifically states it
> doesn't support PCs.

Use powerstrip to set any res you wont and you will probably need a transcoder for rgbhv to RGsB or whatever
it is Plasma use as in input these days but I am sure it is not RGBHV like a PC.
!