Shadowlynxx

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
I am looking to build a new computer and have no experience in overclocking. My lacking knowledge in the past was that overclocking was a risk that the computer would not be stable and/or you could fry/ruin components, so it wasn't worth the risk.

However since looking into this site and others, it sounds like my past understanding was way off base. So I am now looking to try my first overclocking.

I prefer Intel over AMD and from what I have been reading the Core 2 Duo is better anyways. Which processor is most recommended. I have read that the E6300 is good but the E4300 is better. Is the E6600 better.

The mobo is obviously very important (i know nothing about them) I have read that the Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 is a good choice, is there something better or different one that offer better price/value reward?

I am planning on buying a couple of new HD's as well, I will use my Western Digital Raptor 36GB 10,000RPM to hold the operating system, then a couple other mid-range HD's 300GB or so, then an external 500+ GB.

Graphics card, I currently have NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT, which needs to be updated. I need the ability to have two monitors, other than that the top notch or one/two steps down if oc'ing helps graphics card, which I think it does, just not sure how.

Memory and power are important as well. I get even more lost when it comes to Memory. I just know that i will have 2GB's of memory. Which brands, I have no clue, whatever works the best.

As I am sure the question will be asked, how much am I looking to spend, and this is an answer I am not sure on. I am looking for a great computer, but not looking to spend 10k, but can spend more than $500. I would say 2-3k is about my limit. I have no idea if that is plenty, not enough, or just right. That is what I am hoping to figure out as I begin this processing. I play games, I don't do very much in the way of video or 3d rendering, although I am planning on attempting to learn auto cad.

Thanks in advance to any and all that offer me advice in this new venture.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I'm glad to see you have got past that misconception. My old rig at home is a P4 2.4C running at 3.2Ghz and has been running at that speed for 3 years now. When your overclock the correct way, you will not have instabilities and fried parts.

The core series is a very good choice for overclocking. If you can afford the E6600, I would encourage you to purchase it. Otherwise the E4300 and E6300 are good choices on a budget. The E6600 will normally have a max overclock higher than the 43 and 63. Typically they can hit 3.6 without much effort and have heard of them hitting 4 with liquid and phase change. Although, I think making a goal of 3.2-3.6 is what you should be looking for with the E6600.

For a motherboard the GA-956P-DS3 is very good price/performance wise.

This is what I recommend for memory.

As for the price it should be in the range of $1000-$1500.