I've put 32 bit Vista on 64 bit system...was I wrong?

TheProfiler

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Just wondering what did I lose by doing so....I had bad experiences with XP 64 bit so I decided to go with 32 bit Home Premium.... because better driver support 'n stuff.
Was that a bad decision? What would I gain by installing 64 bit version?

BTW, 32 bit version is working great for me...no serious flaws or driver issues so far...

Solution
You absolutely made the right choice. I'm running 64 bit Vista right now and I'm REALLY regretting it. Driver support is absolutely horrid. I had to do some major hacking to get Vista to use my wireless network card. And forget about RAID support. I've got a RAID array that's completely useless because Silicon Image doesn't have a 64 bit Vista driver that works.

genec57

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
For now, so long as you don't need to run 4 or more gigs of memory your decision was fine. You might want to revisit at some point in the future when Vista 64 realizes its potential.

mpjesse

Splendid
You absolutely made the right choice. I'm running 64 bit Vista right now and I'm REALLY regretting it. Driver support is absolutely horrid. I had to do some major hacking to get Vista to use my wireless network card. And forget about RAID support. I've got a RAID array that's completely useless because Silicon Image doesn't have a 64 bit Vista driver that works.

Solution