Problem with XP Installation

JustCantStop

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Hi.

I have just purchased the components and put them together for my new system. Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 (Socket AM2). CPU is an AMD 64 X2 3800 Dual Core. Running with 512 meg of cheap DDR2 Memory, a LITEON DVD Burner, 80 Gig SATA HDD, and GeForce 7900 GS gfx card.

I had no trouble putting it together and it booted first time. However I can't get past the Win XP install phase. It stops at one of two times:

1) During the phase after the NTFS HDD format while it is still in text mode with a blue background when it is copying files from cd to HDD, it stops and says, "unable to read <x> file from CD - Press enter to try again, or ...". Each time this happens it is up to a different file. It is NOT a problem with the CD as I have two different copies of WinXP both of which do the same thing. I have messed around with the SATA cables and the IDE cables and tried the CD as Slave and secondary, but it made no difference.

2) If it does not halt at this point, then it always halts at the next point. Once the files are copied, it reboots and restarts in gfx mode and continues installation process. It comes to the point where it says "Installing Devices" and a progress bar appears. It gets to about half way through and the system turns itself off instantly. Every single time. Without warning. If i try and reboot it does it again and again.

My question - How do i fix these probs!!!? Are they related? Have i missed any part of the assembly process that would have an effect like this? Or is there a setting on the BIOS that I have missed?

I Really Hope someone can help!!!!!

Tom

sturm

Splendid
Check your memory with memtest. Link
Also might take your system down as basic as you can get. cpu, memory, hard drive, cdrom and graphics card. Dont install any other card or addon.
Double check the heatsink on the cpu. Reseat to make sure its on flush.