Vista upgrade over XP Pro footprint

forthill

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I'm getting the Vista Home Premium upgrade dvd.
Looks like I have to have an already installed/loaded XP OS, which I do.

Question: When the Vista upgrade lays down the OS image does it effectively overlay (remove) "all" of the previous XP OS?
I ask because I'd prefer to do the upgrade on my current as-is XP Pro system rather than re-load a fresh copy of XP Pro. I was planning on re-loading XP Pro fresh because I was worried that all traces of XP would not be removed and I might still have some junk/baggage left to clutter Vista (i.e. any hidden spam, viruses, etc).

Thanks,
forthill

Ladhra

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
AFAIK you can't upgrade XP Pro to Home Premium. Vista will move all your previous OS files and Program FIles directory to the directory called Windows.old. So you have to reinstall all your applications on Vista again.

mpjesse

Splendid
AFAIK you can't upgrade XP Pro to Home Premium. Vista will move all your previous OS files and Program FIles directory to the directory called Windows.old. So you have to reinstall all your applications on Vista again.

I upgraded my laptop from WinXP Pro to Home Premium just fine. I did have to uninstall a few incompatible apps (like Nero and McAfee) before upgrading, but most my stuff works fine and i didn't have to reinstall anything.

Not sure where you heard or read that...

Ladhra

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

I upgraded my laptop from WinXP Pro to Home Premium just fine. I did have to uninstall a few incompatible apps (like Nero and McAfee) before upgrading, but most my stuff works fine and i didn't have to reinstall anything.

Not sure where you heard or read that...

That's what happened to one of my friends as he told me. I will probably have the chance to install Home Premium over XP Pro next week. I'll see if I can manage to keep existing applications.

Thanks.