Sign in with
Your question

Might have screwed up my Arctic Freezer 7...

Last response: in Overclocking
April 27, 2007 2:41:14 AM

I tried to clean off the crappy thermal paste that was already on it with a coffee filter and some 90% alcohol. I left some noticable scratches and I could only get 2of the 4 pins to mount. Are the scratches going to effect it very much? I have to take it off and re-apply more thermal paste because the pins wouldn't go in. I was wondering if I should try lapping because it's already a little scratched?

More about : screwed arctic freezer

April 27, 2007 8:45:13 AM

It will effect thermal performance, but as long as they arent too deep or numerus, the change shouldnt be more then 1ºc or 2ºc, if that. The mounting thing on the other hand, could be a major problem. How did cleaning your heat speader screw up the mounting pins?
April 27, 2007 9:28:47 AM

The crap paste on the Fezzer is not crap at all but among the best.
Related resources
April 27, 2007 12:01:36 PM

The mx paste works better than ac5 when used on the arctic freezer 7 pro
April 27, 2007 12:38:09 PM

The plate of the freezer 7 pro looks scratched when new. It's not shiny like you would expect.
a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2007 1:18:09 PM

i would have just kept the MX pad that was on the freezer. it works good.
Dont worry about the scratches they wont hurt it if they just come from a coffee filter. Just apply your compound and press the 2 pins in opposite corners then the other 2 and your good to go.
April 27, 2007 2:37:46 PM

Quote:

Dont worry about the scratches they wont hurt it if they just come from a coffee filter.

The plate of the freezer 7 pro looks scratched when new. It's not shiny like you would expect.
a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2007 3:38:45 PM

If these are the pins INTEL uses, that simply push through and lock, you may have turned them the wrong way, into their release position, where they will not stay locked down under real pressure.

They should be turned all the way, opposite to the arrow direction, IIRC, before pushing through. I thought I had busted a couple on my Scythe Infinity until I discovered this. I could push them through and at first they seemd to lock but then they would pop up again. I was SURE I had ruined the clips but theu were fine.

That there is barely any room to see what you are doing on thses massive coolers doesn't help.
April 27, 2007 8:01:13 PM

I'll have to clean and try to re-mount it. Notherdude is probably right about the pins, but I tried turning them in both directions and still couldn't get them through. I've heard the Mx pad was crappy, so I cleaned it off. It was probably a good thing it didn't mount because I think I put on too much grease....haha
April 27, 2007 8:41:58 PM

Upon further inspection, I found out that I accidentally popped two of the clips before hand and I can't get them to go back to normal. Is there anyway to pinch them together with pliers or anything? I don't know where I would find replacement clips either...

It's a bit frustrating because I could actually setup my computer today (minus the video card), but my cooler keeps setting me back.
a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2007 10:50:54 PM

Quote:

Dont worry about the scratches they wont hurt it if they just come from a coffee filter.

I opened the box and slapped that bad boy on....with the MX. i did not see nothin' :) 

No for the pin thing. some people have made a backplate or just screwed through the board. i will post the link when i find it. Also do you have the stock heatsink around? maybe you can steal them from there.
a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2007 11:07:08 PM

Quote:
Upon further inspection, I found out that I accidentally popped two of the clips before hand and I can't get them to go back to normal. Is there anyway to pinch them together with pliers or anything? I don't know where I would find replacement clips either...

It's a bit frustrating because I could actually setup my computer today (minus the video card), but my cooler keeps setting me back.

What do you mean 'popped'? Is the plastic too bent up to fit through the motherboard holes?

Or did you lock them into the down position while not in the board? If that there is an easy fix - turn the black knobs in the direction of the arrows, ie counter-clockwise, into the designed 'release' position. Then they will simply pull up with your fingers. You may have to pull firmly, this is ok, just don't go crazy and use pliers or something while they are in locked position. Turn arrows back the other way of course before re-inserting into board.

All of this assuming you have the INTEL style clips. Black pushpins through clear plastic holders, arrows on the top of the black pins.
April 28, 2007 2:21:47 AM

I bent the pins back a little bit with some pliers and I finally got it to snap into place. I might have to get some different paste in the future if I find my temps are out of control. I've never actually applied paste before, but I'll see how it goes.
April 28, 2007 5:37:21 AM

yeah, artic coolling reccomends using the paste thats already applied when you get it. too late...
!