Quick processor upgrade on my Dell Dimension 5150

Agent0725

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
Would it make sense to spend $100.00 to upgrade from a Pentium 4 to a Pentium 820 D? I don't play games but I'm realizing I won't get any money for this computer and I need to save up for other issues right now....

Would this be a wise investment for basic, cd burning, web, documents?

Or just save up for a custom build?

Captain_Soviet

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I say just save up. Depending on the kind of chipset that Dell has, it may not even be able to support a dual-core CPU, but I don't know much about the kind of components Dell uses. I, for one, have a 915 chipset mobo lying around that I got back in 2005, and that doesn't support dual core CPUs.

Agent0725

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
I have 1 gig....

I would rather build a custom rig but I have a wait a bit to save up the funds since I want top of the line components.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I have 1 gig....

I would rather build a custom rig but I have a wait a bit to save up the funds since I want top of the line components.

Save up. You'd notice a -little- more "snappiness" from the dual-core, but not much (HyperThreading makes up for the single core a little bit in that department), but no other real gains.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Would it make sense to spend $100.00 to upgrade from a Pentium 4 to a Pentium 820 D? I don't play games but I'm realizing I won't get any money for this computer and I need to save up for other issues right now....

Mostly agreed with prior viewpoints. Although it would be more like $80 as you could get an oem 820 and continue to use the Dell cooling system. You would need to reapply thermal compound of course.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007

Save up for a custom build.... ditch the Dell.... that would be my advice.

Respectfully, I don't see why he should ditch the Dell when it is absolutely fine for what he's using it for.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
which is great for you. more mem and an 805 is exactly what you should do.

We are serious enthusiasts and jack only makes reccommendations that are right for those persuing the grail for their respective buck. dont get offended, we all think we are talking to like minded fanatics here. :wink:

to us dell sucks.

No, he's got a point, but I think Jack meant save up and ditch the Dell upon the next upgrade / computer shift, not immediately.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
If all you do is just cd burning, office documents, and general internet use, you'll really be scratching your head, wondering what all the dual core fuss is about when you "upgrade" to a Pentium D. The CPU is not the bottleneck in this scenerio.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
which is great for you. more mem and an 805 is exactly what you should do.

We are serious enthusiasts and jack only makes reccommendations that are right for those persuing the grail for their respective buck. dont get offended, we all think we are talking to like minded fanatics here. :wink:

to us dell sucks.

I hear ya. I'm not offended at all, just looking at the OP's particular case from more of a business perspective rather than an enthusiast perspective. But you're right; this is an enthusiast site and I can understand your viewpoint in that regard.

I don't personally own a Dell but I have clients with dozens of 'em and they have been quite effective and reliable for small office use, similar to what the OP is using his for.

adapa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
I have 1 gig....

Don't underestimate what people will pay for a Dell on ebay. The sooner you sell the Dell the more $ you'll get for it.

TRENDING THREADS