How do I get XGL running?

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
Okay I have Linux up and running on this rig. I must say, I'm rather impressed with the installation and package features. It was internet ready right off the bat.

I'm on the latest version of Ubuntu 32-bit. I'm trying it out on my old Dell rig before my Dual Core system is up and running. I was wondering how I can set up XGL and what's a good place to find out how to get started using it.

Zorak

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I've only used ubuntu for an incredibly short amount of time, so I don't know if this is true or not, but I think ubuntu should come with support for XGL right out of the box since that is now a part of the newest X.org . At least this was the case for fedora core 6, which is the distro that I use.

Here is a page that should help you on your journey towards 3d desktop acceleration: http://www.biodesign.com.ar/blog/?p=23

also don't worry about whether you want to install XGL over AIGLX, from what I hear, they both accomplish the same end, and AIGLX is supposed to be a little bit more stable. In addition, you need to install a window manager like compiz or beryl, and as far as I know, beryl will work with either XGL or AIGLX (not sure about compiz). Have fun!

-Zorak

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
What kind of card do you have? In terms of ease of setup, AIGLX is much easier overall to setup and, if you decide it's not for you, remove. XGL works as well as AIGLX but it requires more setup as it's an additional layer. Once again, through the magic of ASCII graphics.....
[code:1:04db60999d]
Regular Xorg X + AIGLX-capable drivers
Driver(+AIGLX)<->X(+new libs)<->Desktop Manager

Regular Xorg X + XGL + OpenGL-capable drivers
Driver<->Xorg(+new libs)<--->XGL<-->Desktop Manager
`->libs<-^
[/code:1:04db60999d]

As you can see, using XGL requires a bit more in terms of what's setup, however by no means is it incredibly difficult. I setup Beryl on my desktop (NVidia) and my laptop (ATi) in no time and with no real issues. The real issue with AIGLX is that it must have support in the driver which means, for the time being, ATi cards don't support it unless you have an older card and use the open-source drivers.

TRENDING THREADS