PNY vs eVGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Hello :)

I was wondering... do you guys know if PNY is any good?
Im seeing a 8800GTS 320, made by both, and the PNY is $20 cheaper....

So... do you think its a good choice? Or that is a non-reliable manufacturer? (experiences?)

Thanks for your help :)

lllco2lll

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
Hello :)

I was wondering... do you guys know if PNY is any good?
Im seeing a 8800GTS 320, made by both, and the PNY is $20 cheaper....

So... do you think its a good choice? Or that is a non-reliable manufacturer? (experiences?)

Thanks for your help :)

to be honest I believe evga has the better limited life time warranty, and it also has the step up program "just in case" you decide to step up within 90 days.

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
:D I have nothing but good things to say about PNY. I got my 7900gs from them, and have had no problems at all. One would expect similar quality from their 8800's.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Brands don't matter much. It's basically a different sticker on the cooler.

If they're the same price, go for eVGA, better warranty, but go for the cheaper one.

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Brands don't matter much. It's basically a different sticker on the cooler.

If they're the same price, go for eVGA, better warranty, but go for the cheaper one.

Yes, only if you have no interest in overclocking

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I have had a few PNY cards over the years, most recently an 6800GT. They were all very stable, reliable cards with no heat issues or other problems at all. The only down I could think of is that EVGA has a more comprehensive warranty I believe for that $20. Also when virtually everyone was getting good OCs with their 6800GTs in the day, I was never able to get mine much over stock without artifacting. This shouldn't be much of an issue with the 8800 series though as they are all the same card with only diff heatsinks/bundles/etc.

If every dollar counts you can't go wrong with the PNY. If the warranty looks enticing or you think there is the slightest chance their 90 day trade-in clause might be useful to you then spend the extra $20.

minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Great, thanks so much for the replies guys :)

Well, I think Im gonna go for the PNY.
To be sincere longer/better guarantee and step up programs are the same for me, since I live overseas and Im getting them from amazon, so I have to pray and cross my fingers because I cannot ship them back to the US in case of returning or something like that.

byrddogg77

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
OMG PNY sucks, their cards break all the time and their Warranty & customer services sucks.

Please for the love of something, don't buy PNY!!!

Go BFG, or XFX or EVGA!

WindsurferLA

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Having just purchased a PNY VCG62512SAPB, I have no history to report. However, there appears to be two significant differences when compared to the EVGA's competitive product.

The cooling fins on the PNY are oriented horizontally and are anodized aluminum. The cooling fins on the EVGA are oriented vertically and are black anodized aluminum. I'd expect EVGA's configuration to provide better cooling.

The PNY unit has a toroid coil, probably for a power supply function. I see no toroid on the images of the equivalent EVGA product. The toroid coil could be a source of EMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.