Windows CE version 1.0

July 21, 2005 5:51:19 PM

I just purchased a Cassiopeia which has Windows CE version 1.0. I would like
to upload a simple solitaire game or a Bible program. Yet when I tried to
upload a game it said it required that a Windows services program be
installed. Does anyone know where I can get such a program for Windows CE
version 1.0 and what the proceedure is for uploading games, etc. onto this
PDA? Also, since it is an older version, where can I get programs for this
version?

Thanks,
Randy H

More about : windows version

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:52:24 PM

Randy,

I dug through a few of my old Windows CE programs and found some software
that may help from my old NEC MobilePro days.

I've uploaded the software to my server for you to try:

http://paulmin.test.gospelcom.net/download/Win%20CE1.zi...

I'll pull the files off in a couple of weeks after this post.

Good luck!

Paul

"Randy H via PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote in
message news:51A75790101F7@PocketPCJunkies.com...

> I just purchased a Cassiopeia which has Windows CE version 1.0. I would
> like
> to upload a simple solitaire game or a Bible program. Yet when I tried to
> upload a game it said it required that a Windows services program be
> installed. Does anyone know where I can get such a program for Windows CE
> version 1.0 and what the proceedure is for uploading games, etc. onto this
> PDA? Also, since it is an older version, where can I get programs for
> this
> version?
>
> Thanks,
> Randy H
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:16:55 PM

Paul,

Thank you for your quick response to my question. I will download the files
and let you know if they work.

Randy

Paul Yuen wrote:
>Randy,
>
>I dug through a few of my old Windows CE programs and found some software
>that may help from my old NEC MobilePro days.
>
>I've uploaded the software to my server for you to try:
>
>http://paulmin.test.gospelcom.net/download/Win%20CE1.zi...
>
>I'll pull the files off in a couple of weeks after this post.
>
>Good luck!
>
>Paul
>
>> I just purchased a Cassiopeia which has Windows CE version 1.0. I would
>> like
>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>> Thanks,
>> Randy H

July 22, 2005 1:13:24 AM

Paul,

I tried the files you downloaded and still am having problems. Namely, when
I try to install any of the programs you sent the system tells me I am not
connected. My PDA came with a connection utility called PC Connect which
uses a USB connection. It appears that the programs you sent use a different
connection program called Microsoft H/PC Explorer which seems to be an older
program that only uses Serial cable on Com1 or Com2 connections. I cannot
connect with a Serial cable and therefore cannot use this program. How do I
get it to use the PC Connect program to install these programs?

Randy

Randy H wrote:
>Paul,
>
>Thank you for your quick response to my question. I will download the files
>and let you know if they work.
>
>Randy
>
>>Randy,
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
>>> Thanks,
>>> Randy H

July 22, 2005 1:35:57 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 21:13:24 GMT, "Randy H via PocketPCJunkies.com"
<forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote:

>Paul,
>
>I tried the files you downloaded and still am having problems. Namely, when
>I try to install any of the programs you sent the system tells me I am not
>connected. My PDA came with a connection utility called PC Connect which
>uses a USB connection. It appears that the programs you sent use a different

I'm confused. Unless I'm very mistaken, no device using Windows CE
supported USB before at least version 2.1 of the operating system. But
you said in your first post that your device is running version 1.0.
I, at least, would like to know more specifically _which_ Cassiopea
you have (Casio used the term for all their Windows CE based PDAs).

>connection program called Microsoft H/PC Explorer which seems to be an older
>program that only uses Serial cable on Com1 or Com2 connections. I cannot
>connect with a Serial cable and therefore cannot use this program. How do I
>get it to use the PC Connect program to install these programs?
>
>Randy
>
>Randy H wrote:
>>Paul,
>>
>>Thank you for your quick response to my question. I will download the files
>>and let you know if they work.
>>
>>Randy
>>
>>>Randy,
>>>
>>[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:21:20 PM

Paul,

I'm confused too. Here are the specifications:

Pocket Manager BE-300
CPU: 166MHz, 280MIPS VR4131 (64-bit CPU)
Display: 3.2-inch, 240x320-pixels, 32,768-color STN
OS: Windows CE 3.0
ROM: 16MB Flash Rom
RAM: 16MB RAM
I/O: CompactFlash card slot (Type II), RS-232 Serial Port (USB client support)
,
stereo earphone jack, AC adapter jack
Power: Li-ion Rechargeable Battery, AC adapter

According to this it has CE 3.0. I was getting the other information I gave
you off the unit itself under the Version screen where it says it is System
Version 1.00.00(US) (Build 002202-054) (TOP MENU V1.01.01)
copyright (C) 2001

I appreciate you hanging in there on helping me with this. Hopefully this is
better information and you can help me figure it out.

Thanks again,
Randy H.

r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:
>>Paul,
>>
>>I tried the files you downloaded and still am having problems. Namely, when
>>I try to install any of the programs you sent the system tells me I am not
>>connected. My PDA came with a connection utility called PC Connect which
>>uses a USB connection. It appears that the programs you sent use a different
>
>I'm confused. Unless I'm very mistaken, no device using Windows CE
>supported USB before at least version 2.1 of the operating system. But
>you said in your first post that your device is running version 1.0.
>I, at least, would like to know more specifically _which_ Cassiopea
>you have (Casio used the term for all their Windows CE based PDAs).
>
>>connection program called Microsoft H/PC Explorer which seems to be an older
>>program that only uses Serial cable on Com1 or Com2 connections. I cannot
>[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]

>To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
>
>Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
>PenFact, Inc.
>500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
>Boston, MA 02118
>www.penfact.com

July 22, 2005 7:19:20 PM

Randy,

If the host installer told you that you needed Windows CE services, then
the program is written for Windows CE 2.0 or higher.
You need Windows CE 1.0 software and H/PC Explorer to migrate it up to the
device:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=5

If you're an XP user, you'll need this:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0002.asp

and a 2000 user, this:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/c/0001.asp

and I've a bit more on it here:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0014.asp

--
Chris Tilley
Editor-in-Chief

"Randy H via PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote in
message news:51A75790101F7@PocketPCJunkies.com...

> I just purchased a Cassiopeia which has Windows CE version 1.0. I would
> like
> to upload a simple solitaire game or a Bible program. Yet when I tried to
> upload a game it said it required that a Windows services program be
> installed. Does anyone know where I can get such a program for Windows CE
> version 1.0 and what the proceedure is for uploading games, etc. onto this
> PDA? Also, since it is an older version, where can I get programs for
> this
> version?
>
> Thanks,
> Randy H
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:10:37 PM

>OS: Windows CE 3.0

Isn't that PPC 2002
--
Damian Burrin
UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO

LARF - Putting the amateur back in rocketry!!

"Randy H via PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote in
message news:51B42D4080D62@PocketPCJunkies.com...

> Paul,
>
> I'm confused too. Here are the specifications:
>
> Pocket Manager BE-300
> CPU: 166MHz, 280MIPS VR4131 (64-bit CPU)
> Display: 3.2-inch, 240x320-pixels, 32,768-color STN
> OS: Windows CE 3.0
> ROM: 16MB Flash Rom
> RAM: 16MB RAM
> I/O: CompactFlash card slot (Type II), RS-232 Serial Port (USB client
> support)
> ,
> stereo earphone jack, AC adapter jack
> Power: Li-ion Rechargeable Battery, AC adapter
>
> According to this it has CE 3.0. I was getting the other information I
> gave
> you off the unit itself under the Version screen where it says it is
> System
> Version 1.00.00(US) (Build 002202-054) (TOP MENU V1.01.01)
> copyright (C) 2001
>
> I appreciate you hanging in there on helping me with this. Hopefully this
> is
> better information and you can help me figure it out.
>
> Thanks again,
> Randy H.
>
> r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:
>>>Paul,
>>>
>>>I tried the files you downloaded and still am having problems. Namely,
>>>when
>>>I try to install any of the programs you sent the system tells me I am
>>>not
>>>connected. My PDA came with a connection utility called PC Connect which
>>>uses a USB connection. It appears that the programs you sent use a
>>>different
>>
>>I'm confused. Unless I'm very mistaken, no device using Windows CE
>>supported USB before at least version 2.1 of the operating system. But
>>you said in your first post that your device is running version 1.0.
>>I, at least, would like to know more specifically _which_ Cassiopea
>>you have (Casio used the term for all their Windows CE based PDAs).
>>
>>>connection program called Microsoft H/PC Explorer which seems to be an
>>>older
>>>program that only uses Serial cable on Com1 or Com2 connections. I
>>>cannot
>>[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
>>
>>-----------------------------------------
>>To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and
>>please indicate which newsgroup and message).
>>
>>Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
>>PenFact, Inc.
>>500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
>>Boston, MA 02118
>>www.penfact.com

July 23, 2005 10:10:38 PM

It appears you have a Casio BE-300 which is not really a Pocket PC. For more
information check out this site:
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/devices/casiobe-300.htm

"Damian Burrin" <burrin@nospamntlworld.com> wrote in message

>>OS: Windows CE 3.0
>
> Isn't that PPC 2002
> --
> Damian Burrin
> UKRA 1159 Level 2 RSO
> EARS 1115
> http://www.ukrocketry.com
> http://www.larf-rocketry.co.uk
>
> LARF - Putting the amateur back in rocketry!!
>
> "Randy H via PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote in
> message news:51B42D4080D62@PocketPCJunkies.com...
>>
>> Paul,
>>
>> I'm confused too. Here are the specifications:
>>
>> Pocket Manager BE-300
>> CPU: 166MHz, 280MIPS VR4131 (64-bit CPU)
>> Display: 3.2-inch, 240x320-pixels, 32,768-color STN
>> OS: Windows CE 3.0
>> ROM: 16MB Flash Rom
>> RAM: 16MB RAM
>> I/O: CompactFlash card slot (Type II), RS-232 Serial Port (USB client
>> support)
>> ,
>> stereo earphone jack, AC adapter jack
>> Power: Li-ion Rechargeable Battery, AC adapter
>>
>> According to this it has CE 3.0. I was getting the other information I
>> gave
>> you off the unit itself under the Version screen where it says it is
>> System
>> Version 1.00.00(US) (Build 002202-054) (TOP MENU V1.01.01)
>> copyright (C) 2001
>>
>> I appreciate you hanging in there on helping me with this. Hopefully
>> this is
>> better information and you can help me figure it out.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Randy H.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 2:58:46 PM

"Randy H via PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote:

>Pocket Manager BE-300
>CPU: 166MHz, 280MIPS VR4131 (64-bit CPU)
>Display: 3.2-inch, 240x320-pixels, 32,768-color STN
>OS: Windows CE 3.0
>ROM: 16MB Flash Rom
>RAM: 16MB RAM
>I/O: CompactFlash card slot (Type II), RS-232 Serial Port (USB client support)
>,
> stereo earphone jack, AC adapter jack
>Power: Li-ion Rechargeable Battery, AC adapter
>
>According to this it has CE 3.0.

That was a proprietary device Casio made. It uses CE 3.0 but isn't a
Pocket PC. You need apps for that device. See
http://home.cogeco.ca/~be300/links.html for some links and google
"be-300" for other pages on that device.
July 25, 2005 9:35:21 PM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:10:37 GMT, "Damian Burrin"
<burrin@nospamntlworld.com> wrote:

>>OS: Windows CE 3.0
>
>Isn't that PPC 2002

NO! PPC 2002 is a platform _based_ on version 3 of the Windows CE
operating system. Several other platforms, including HPC 2000 and the
original Pocket PC were/are also based on that version of the
operating system. Variations of _this_ question (Pocket PC vs Windows
CE) are asked and answered every few days in this and other
newsgroups. For more info, see:
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/wce/versions.htm
http://www.opennetcf.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=317

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 9:35:22 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:21:20 GMT, "Randy H via PocketPCJunkies.com"
<forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote:

>Paul,
>
>I'm confused too. Here are the specifications:
>
>Pocket Manager BE-300
>CPU: 166MHz, 280MIPS VR4131 (64-bit CPU)
>Display: 3.2-inch, 240x320-pixels, 32,768-color STN
>OS: Windows CE 3.0
>ROM: 16MB Flash Rom
>RAM: 16MB RAM
>I/O: CompactFlash card slot (Type II), RS-232 Serial Port (USB client support)
>,
> stereo earphone jack, AC adapter jack
>Power: Li-ion Rechargeable Battery, AC adapter
>
>According to this it has CE 3.0. I was getting the other information I gave
>you off the unit itself under the Version screen where it says it is System
>Version 1.00.00(US) (Build 002202-054) (TOP MENU V1.01.01)
>copyright (C) 2001
>
>I appreciate you hanging in there on helping me with this. Hopefully this is
>better information and you can help me figure it out.

Earlier posts have provided good leads on more info. To be explicit
within this thread:
The BE-300 is/was a beast unto itself. I believe it _is_ possible to
get ActiveSync working with a BE-300, but only with some arcane tricks
I definitely do not know (likely available through the leads other
posts provided). I also _think_ programs written for other Windows CE
platforms might work on the BE-300, if you can figure out how to
install them. I tried briefly when one customer bought a BE-300.
Mercifully for me, neither my boss nor the customer thought it was
worth pursuing.

Good luck.

>Thanks again,
>Randy H.
>
>r_z_aret@pen_fact.com wrote:
>>>Paul,
>>>
>>>I tried the files you downloaded and still am having problems. Namely, when
>>>I try to install any of the programs you sent the system tells me I am not
>>>connected. My PDA came with a connection utility called PC Connect which
>>>uses a USB connection. It appears that the programs you sent use a different
>>
>>I'm confused. Unless I'm very mistaken, no device using Windows CE
>>supported USB before at least version 2.1 of the operating system. But
>>you said in your first post that your device is running version 1.0.
>>I, at least, would like to know more specifically _which_ Cassiopea
>>you have (Casio used the term for all their Windows CE based PDAs).
>>
>>>connection program called Microsoft H/PC Explorer which seems to be an older
>>>program that only uses Serial cable on Com1 or Com2 connections. I cannot
>>[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
>>
>>-----------------------------------------
>>To reply to me, remove the underscores (_) from my email address (and please indicate which newsgroup and message).
>>
>>Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
>>PenFact, Inc.
>>500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
>>Boston, MA 02118
>>www.penfact.com

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 6:12:41 PM

Thanks Everyone:

You have been very helpful. It seems that the BE-300 is not a Pocket PC but
rather a Pocket Manager that Casio produced on the Windows CE 3.0 platform.
I found some software produced specifically for the Pocket Manager and it
installed easily onto my system. Thanks again for your responses, they have
been very helpful.

Randy H