Will Vista 64-bit run 32-bit software??? please help

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
I am hoping that somebody knows definitively as to whether or not Vista-64 bit will run 32-bit software. I asked several people I know that I consider authoritative and I get conflicting answers.

Several guys told me that only the RETAIL version can run 32-bit software.

Others told me that neither the retail or the oem version will run 32-bit applications.

I thought I read somewhere a long time ago that the 64-bit version will run 32-bit software which seems logical to me; isn't office 2007 a 32-bit only application or is there such thing as a 64-bit version of office 2007?
It just seems like that would have been a really dumb move for MS to have made this thing incapable of running 32-bit applications.

I am hoping that somebody knows and is absolutely sure because this is going to affect my purchasing decision.

Thank you guys in advance for all your help

Solution
Regardless of OEM or retail, it depends if you are getting and installing the 32-bit or 64-bit version.

64-bit version will run most 32-bit applications but it is not a 100% guarantee that ALL 32-bit apps will run. However, you will need 64-bit drivers for your hardware.

OEM versions come in either 32-bit or 64-bit, not both. Retail ones mainly com in 32-bit, with the exception of Ultimate, which comes prepackaged with both DVDs. For the other retail versions, you can request for a 64-bit edition from MS but I'm not sure about the process as I own the OEM edition. If someone could clarify the last part it would be great.

Anxtraphyl

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Regardless of OEM or retail, it depends if you are getting and installing the 32-bit or 64-bit version.

64-bit version will run most 32-bit applications but it is not a 100% guarantee that ALL 32-bit apps will run. However, you will need 64-bit drivers for your hardware.

OEM versions come in either 32-bit or 64-bit, not both. Retail ones mainly com in 32-bit, with the exception of Ultimate, which comes prepackaged with both DVDs. For the other retail versions, you can request for a 64-bit edition from MS but I'm not sure about the process as I own the OEM edition. If someone could clarify the last part it would be great.

Solution