Solved

Will Vista 64-bit run 32-bit software??? please help

Tags:
  • Office 2007
  • Windows Vista
  • Software
Last response: in Windows Vista
February 22, 2007 11:27:32 PM

I am hoping that somebody knows definitively as to whether or not Vista-64 bit will run 32-bit software. I asked several people I know that I consider authoritative and I get conflicting answers.

Several guys told me that only the RETAIL version can run 32-bit software.

Others told me that neither the retail or the oem version will run 32-bit applications.

I thought I read somewhere a long time ago that the 64-bit version will run 32-bit software which seems logical to me; isn't office 2007 a 32-bit only application or is there such thing as a 64-bit version of office 2007?
It just seems like that would have been a really dumb move for MS to have made this thing incapable of running 32-bit applications.

I am hoping that somebody knows and is absolutely sure because this is going to affect my purchasing decision.

Thank you guys in advance for all your help

More about : vista bit run bit software

Best solution

February 23, 2007 7:38:14 AM

Regardless of OEM or retail, it depends if you are getting and installing the 32-bit or 64-bit version.

64-bit version will run most 32-bit applications but it is not a 100% guarantee that ALL 32-bit apps will run. However, you will need 64-bit drivers for your hardware.

OEM versions come in either 32-bit or 64-bit, not both. Retail ones mainly com in 32-bit, with the exception of Ultimate, which comes prepackaged with both DVDs. For the other retail versions, you can request for a 64-bit edition from MS but I'm not sure about the process as I own the OEM edition. If someone could clarify the last part it would be great.
February 23, 2007 12:44:11 PM

Thank you very much for the reply!
m
l